110/119/129 Picture Quality?

Lord_Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Richmond, VA
Long story short, I had the 61.5 / 110 / 119 setup for my locals. When BBC went HD, I called and requested a tech visit to fix it. I had expected to go to Eastern Arc to get the new channels, but the tech wanted to put me on 129. I didn't really care as long as I could get LOS to 129. I have historically had LOS issues with 129. It would have also been a significant amount of work to put me on EA since she said my system wasn't really installed correctly to begin with. My real question is around picture quality. It has been noticeably worse since the move over to 129. I don't know if its the satellite or maybe something in the installation. Has anyone noticed a degradation of picture quality after doing a similar move that could give me an idea of what I should do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

There should be no PQ difference. Did the installer change the way your receiver was hooked up to your TV? Or are you now watching through an RF channel or composite now instead of Component or HDMI?

While I was fiddling around with trying to get a pure arc, I went between 61.5 and 129 several times. I noticed no "in your face" PQ difference on any of the channels I watch.

They moved me to Western Arc and I am experiencing the same degradation. At first there was lots of localized pixelation. I called Dish and they sent a second installer out. After the second installer there is not much pixelation, but the picture often looks fuzzy with frequent motion blur. The WA HD picture is almost as bad as Comcast HD. No real happy about it.

So I tried Dish tech chat tonight. They suggest I plug both receivers directly into the wall as the power strip can block the signal. :-(

I give up. I'll just watch crappy channels.

I checked the picture settings. It was 1080i / 16:9. Signal Strength for 129 is around 52.
Seems good. But make absolutely certain that you are looking at the pic via HDMI or component. The other outputs are of course SD.
I give up. I'll just watch crappy channels.
I wouldn't do that. You should not be seeing a crappy picture from either sat.

So I tried Dish tech chat tonight. They suggest I plug both receivers directly into the wall as the power strip can block the signal. :-(

HAHAHAHA!! Classic!

But there was something I ran into that may be power related. I had a grounding issue that caused me to get a slight dubble image which looked from a distance like a blurry picture. It affected everything including the menus and guide. I was able to take care of it by plugging the second TV to a different outlet with a good ground. I fixed the picture on both TVs since there was no signal bouncing back due to a slight potential difference current (about .5v @ 60Hz) running through the 5 audio/video lines (Component cable between TV2 and the receiver).

It could be grounding I guess. The last tech that came out said that my system wasn't installed properly. One of the things she pointed out was that it wasn't grounded anywhere.

That's a weird one, like everyone else has said, as long as you are locked on the satellite SS wouldn't matter, and picture quality should be the same. Just to eliminate the possibility, do you have other HD components connected to your TV? like a ps3 or 360? If so, is their pq where it should be?

Man, I had great picture all day yesterday. I was at my brothers house watching FIOS. :D

I emailed ceo about 5 days ago and no reply........

Last edited:
They moved me to Western Arc and I am experiencing the same degradation. At first there was lots of localized pixelation. I called Dish and they sent a second installer out. After the second installer there is not much pixelation, but the picture often looks fuzzy with frequent motion blur. The WA HD picture is almost as bad as Comcast HD. No real happy about it.

That was exactly what I was seeing.

A tech came out this morning. He first checked the install and signal strength. Everything seemed ok. He probably spent about 15 or 20 minutes looking at it.

I told him that I really had no idea what happened. All I know is that it looked worse after I moved from 61.5 to 129. Nothing earth shattering, but some pixelation at times and general bluriness. I said it might be my wiring, it might be something else, it might even be my imagination. :)

At any rate, he decided to redo my install. He put up a new DISH / Lnbs and rewired it into the basement where all of the connections meet ( smart panel ).

I wouldn't say its "WOW" better, but it does look like it did before I went to 129.

He thought maybe it was the wiring between the DISH and the house, but whatever it was, I'm happier now.