922 users opinion thread

cincyguy2k4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Figured this thread would help Dish and their development of the 922 for those of us in the "extended" beta :).

Examples that first come to mind are:

1) Guide - Do you like the new setup and style of the guide? What features are missing that you wish you had available?

2) Usability - How easy is it for you to use your 922?

3) Remote - Button placement of the new remote annoying you? Is this new remote the easist to use yet?

4) Build quality - Issues with the box getting hot? Random lockups?

5) Responsiveness - Any stuttering issues?

6) Picture Quality - How does the picture compare to the 622/722 models?

7) And finally - Were you around to remember the 921 receiver? If so.... does this new box bring back memories of the 921? Should Dish simply abandon the 92x model number? Or..... does the 922 make the 921 a bad memory and is the best box to date at Dish?

Lets make this box the best it can be.

The 922 is pretty much the same as the 722 but in single mode. The picture quality is no different as far as I can tell. The new remote is great and is just like the 722k. The guide is great and the search function is the best I've ever seen. I think it still may have a few kinks to get out but overall it's an A+ machine.

Figured this thread would help Dish and their development of the 922 for those of us in the "extended" beta :).

1) Guide - Do you like the new setup and style of the guide? What features are missing that you wish you had available?

3) Remote - Button placement of the new remote annoying you? Is this new remote the easist to use yet?

I love the new UI and the guide, but I would like to have the option to make the guide "bigger", as in showing 5 channels on the page instead of 7, making it a little easier to read.

So far the 922 has been a breeze to use. The remote is very nice and easy to use, though I will switch back to my Harmony remote once I get around to programming it.

The box runs just about as hot as the 722, no issues so far.

It froze once when I went to the System Info page.

Same picture quality as far as I can tell.

There are two issues so far with my 922: I downloaded a free HD movie from DishOnline, didn't watch it while it was downloading, and then when I went to watch it all I got was a black screen. I downloaded another movie, which I watched while streaming and there was no problem, and once it was done, I hit watch again and it popped right up, so maybe the first download was corrupted or something. I also don't see how to delete a downloaded movie.
Also, the search function doesn't work on my box. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

So far I'm very pleased with the 922. There are minor kinks here and there and some issues, but that's what you get as an early adopter.

It's great!

Very Easy.

No issues at all coming from a 622 remote. It's almost identical on the most commonly used buttons.

Build quality appears good.

Very responsive.

I think the images are a hair sharper than the 622 and colors pop more.

7) And finally - Were you around to remember the 921 receiver? If so.... does this new box bring back memories of the 921? Should Dish simply abandon the 92x model number? Or..... does the 922 make the 921 a bad memory and is the best box to date at Dish?

Lets make this box the best it can be.

Few weird issues here and there. I have seen the black screen when trying to playback some video. Would I go back to the 622? No way. Once I can stream ?HD video to my second TV in the house this receiver will be near perfection.

I would buy again:
Pros:
1. new search - it's so easy
2. i like the new graphics
3. sling to iphone and ipad is AWESOME. It's just too cool

Cons:
1. sling with dishnetwork.com is Bullsh!t

Got 922 instaled 4/20/10. So far I am impressed with the receiver.
1. Like the new interface.
2. I have had a sling solo for a while which was already configured for Dish Remote access and Slingplayer on PC aleady configured and Slingmobile on ipad. When I went to Dish remote with a few minutes of install complete my 922 was already on the list of receivers. Sling player also had it on list and also ipad mobile. When I open all just have to choose which sling I want. Slinging works both on LAN and away from home. Now someone can sling in to 922 and not interupt what person at home watching. Plan to use my sling solo for my ROKU to stream content to any ISP.
3. Easily programmed my Harmony remote- 922 is on harmony list. The red greenyellow blue buttons appeared on the touch screen part of the harmony. Did need to enable IR for harmony to work.
4 .Downside is lack of connection to OTA HD antenna without buying $30 module from Dish- spending this much it should come complete.
5. Problem with transfer fron EHD. Did not find this forum until too late. Some transfer and some not but intestingly all content not transfered in one folder which appears empty but on Dishremote lists all content in folder though cant watch. Hoping after 4/23/10 my lost content might reappear.
Overall very satified and glad I got it.