922 = worst piece of junk ever

dishdude

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I just had to reset my 922 again! I tried to watch tv before bed, and as usual I hit the DVR button and get a tiny screen in the left top corner with no text.

I can't view programming remotely, why am I even paying for this service? I have been a Dish subscriber since 1997 and have put up with some bad receivers like the 4000 and 7100, but this is getting close to the worst!

I wouldn't call it the Worst receiver ever. I reserved that one for the 921 that came a few years back at $1000.00 a unit and the 811 hd receiver that I quickly traded in for the 921 . I had to baby sit both of those boxes constantly to get them to work right. Rebooted the 921 so much that I hooked it to a surge protector with a switch behind the box so I could flip it on /off easily.

But this 922 is lacking to me in basic functions that the 722k has: external hard drive archiving , manual timers, dishpass timers. I can not get the dnla thing to work on apps like play on , that I paid for. The remote access works but not in hd . Apparently you have to have a brand new tower on your computer with lots of memory and an hd graphics card to do that. Not to mention the highest upload and download speeds of 3mpbs on both . Don't have that much with Twc road runner on it's fastest speed available.

I wanted the hd media extender ,but gave up on it and got a 211k instead when they announced it was delayed till the end of the year. As far as basic dvr functions, this 922 does work for that ,sometimes. The channel logos are nice , the hd graphics are nice, but in all this box has not been all it is advertised to be and has been a bit of a disappointment to me.

I too remember the days of the 921 which had a price tag of $1300 at the start, I was lucky, got it for $1000. I've yet to take advantage of remote viewing. I do like the menu and it does seem faster, but the 622 was more predictable and more of a "bang for the Buck".

It does seem as if the S/W is rather slow in being developed and that this receiver is not yet living up to our expectations.

I also had an 921, it was the worst Dish receiver. The 922 could be the second worst.

How many months will have to go by before it does its basic recording functions reliably? You would think if any feature would be perfected by now would be the DVR feature.

mike123abc said:
I also had an 921, it was the worst Dish receiver. The 922 could be the second worst.

How many months will have to go by before it does its basic recording functions reliably? You would think if any feature would be perfected by now would be the DVR feature.

I have no trouble with the DVR functions on mine. What particular DVR functions seem to not work reliably for you? I have not had any trouble with recording to speak of since S104 came out.

I wouldn't call it the Worst receiver ever. I reserved that one for the 921 that came a few years back at $1000.00 a unit and the 811 hd receiver that I quickly traded in for the 921 . I had to baby sit both of those boxes constantly to get them to work right. Rebooted the 921 so much that I hooked it to a surge protector with a switch behind the box so I could flip it on /off easily.

But this 922 is lacking to me in basic functions that the 722k has: external hard drive archiving , manual timers, dishpass timers. I can not get the dnla thing to work on apps like play on , that I paid for. The remote access works but not in hd . Apparently you have to have a brand new tower on your computer with lots of memory and an hd graphics card to do that. Not to mention the highest upload and download speeds of 3mpbs on both . Don't have that much with Twc road runner on it's fastest speed available.

I wanted the hd media extender ,but gave up on it and got a 211k instead when they announced it was delayed till the end of the year. As far as basic dvr functions, this 922 does work for that ,sometimes. The channel logos are nice , the hd graphics are nice, but in all this box has not been all it is advertised to be and has been a bit of a disappointment to me.

Regarding DLNA I use playon with 922 without any major issues. What kind of problem you are having.

One issue I had was not able to play 1080i mp4 files. But I looked at it and it is playon issue as the transcoded file itself had issues.

I have no trouble with the DVR functions on mine. What particular DVR functions seem to not work reliably for you? I have not had any trouble with recording to speak of since S104 came out.

1 or 2 recordings a week will be missed. If you look back through the schedule it will say they were recorded but they are missing out of the DVR list. I still think it has something to do with sling remote access. It seems to miss the recordings when I use sling. I suspect that sling corrupts something and it needs the nightly reboot to fix itself. If I for example watch using sling during the afternoon, that night a recording will not happen.

After reading all these threads I'm very happy that I just added a Slingbox Pro-HD to my 722. I think we should learn a lesson and stay away from anything Dish put out that starts with a "9".

Regarding DLNA I use playon with 922 without any major issues. What kind of problem you are having.

One issue I had was not able to play 1080i mp4 files. But I looked at it and it is playon issue as the transcoded file itself had issues.

All the applications will play the commercial before the show then the video will start for the program and FREEZE. Happens on every application except for REvison3. That will play with out any problems at all.

After reading all these threads I'm very happy that I just added a Slingbox Pro-HD to my 722. I think we should learn a lesson and stay away from anything Dish put out that starts with a "9".

Naw, the 942 was actually a great receiver. ;)

Naw, the 942 was actually a great receiver. ;)

+1 and still going strong....
------
but seriously the fact that the 922 is even being compared to the 921 should scare everyone.

as i read through this thread and people pipe up that hey 'this doesn't work for me' then someone says 'it works just fine for me', should not be the case.

for the most part everyone should be receiving the SAME user experience. not this random behavior that is indicative of a not ready for prime time CE device. (poor code review/QA/unit testing etc)

the 922 could indeed eclipse Dishes ultimate failure to date, the 921 but only time will tell and time isn't something that has ever been on Dishes side.

but no worries they will have all the bugs worked out ....soon

Got a new computer today for my birthday!! It has 1 tb hard drive and 8gb system memory and quad processor and it can play blu ray dvds. I am now able to use my play on subscription and sling my tv in HD. So it looks like the culprit in the 922 was the actual computer. Now I am still wanting my external hard drive archiving feature and manual and dish pass timers and this receiver will be better than my 722k was.

This is nice to know. My contract with Dish is over and I was thinking about bargaining an upgrade to the 922 with them but I think I will wait. I'm perfectly happy with my 722.

is it possible to get the 922 for less than $300

They wanted to charge me $199 for the unit and $95 to hook it up which is Bulls!@t by the way. It's like 4 wires I can do it.

Every night I have to reset this piece of crap. Unbelieveable! Also, I can't use the learning remote from my 722 so I am stuck with 2 remotes for this Prizmo TV that I have in the bedroom.

The Prizmo works better than the 922!

And I spent $600 on this receiver why? So I could use the Slingbox feature that doesn't work?

Attachments

• 2010-07-30_22-41-50_879.jpg
    2010-07-30_22-41-50_879.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 180
Every night I have to reset this piece of crap. Unbelieveable! Also, I can't use the learning remote from my 722 so I am stuck with 2 remotes for this Prizmo TV that I have in the bedroom.

The Prizmo works better than the 922!

And I spent $600 on this receiver why? So I could use the Slingbox feature that doesn't work?

Not really a shocker when you have a brand called Prizmo, it's not the remotes fault.

To get the screen to work remotely and see your guide like you would through coax like the 722 go to menu -> settings-> Shared view and turn it on. It will fix alot of peoples 2nd tv where a screen is on and no menu just black box.

Not really a shocker when you have a brand called Prizmo, it's not the remotes fault.

It is when Dish failed to add learning capability to the remote, and changed the RF frequency so I can't even use the learning remote from my 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)