922's Remote will never make it to market.

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2006
NC
Can you imagine watching CNN and deciding to see what games are on ESPN for the next few hours?
Now: I hit guide, 140, then right.
With the 922: I hit guide, then the button to pull up the on screen numbers and letters, move my thumb to make the pointer go to 1, then 4, then 0, then I am guessing enter maybe after 3 numbers it will go but you are still in the on screen keyboard mode so I doubt it., then use the touchpad again to go to the right and click. And I hope it would be that easy.

Just like no one wants to use a mouse with their Media Center, XBMC, or any other tv interface from their computer, beta testers will balk at using such an interface for any length of time. Having it for the web browser will be handy but everything else will be a chore.

Two things scare me about this remote.

My Parents are getting old and I get calls from them on how to use their 625 remote. They will be lost with the new 922 remote.

Plus I use a Harmony One remote and love it. I wonder if the 922 will work with my Harmony One. I am thinking no..

My Parents are getting old and I get calls from them on how to use their 625 remote. They will be lost with the new 922 remote.

Plus I use a Harmony One remote and love it. I wonder if the 922 will work with my Harmony One. I am thinking no..
Actually, a standard remote is purported to work with the 922. I also have a Harmony One and will certainly skip on the laptop style track pad. Those things are annoying enough on laptops... At least they didn't make it one of those IBM style nubs...

Well, they did say that the 922's remote will use the "Zigby" wireless standard. So it seems that they are open for 3rd party remotes to control the 922. They also talked about making the 922 "open" enough for people to be able to write customer applications for the 922. That alone could really shake up SatGuys being the host to so many Custom DBS apps for the 922.

hmm.

This DVR isn't for "old" parents. If they don't know to use a computer or program a harmony remote, why would they see the benifits of buying a 922?

My 2 sets of parents are going back to analog cable (1 set has HDTVs everywhere) and just using the TV remote to change channels. They obviously wouldn't understand the 922 and I won't be suggesting it to them.

I can't wait to put a 922 in my house. Would the Harmony 890 be able to control this over RF or is zigbee and zwave completly incompatable?

The idea of removing the number keypad from the remote is stupid. I use that feature constantly. That was dumb and I agree with everything said.

The idea of removing the number keypad from the remote is stupid. I use that feature constantly. That was dumb and I agree with everything said.
Like I said in the original post about hitting 140 to go to espn, most of us know the channel # of your favorite channels. I very rarely hit the numbers when in full screen, I just use them to get me around the guide quickly and as much as I would miss the #'s I would miss the UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT more.

Like I said in the original post about hitting 140 to go to espn, most of us know the channel # of your favorite channels. I very rarely hit the numbers when in full screen, I just use them to get me around the guide quickly and as much as I would miss the #'s I would miss the UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT more.
Agreed+++++++:up

Can you imagine watching CNN and deciding to see what games are on ESPN for the next few hours?
Now: I hit guide, 140, then right.
With the 922: I hit guide, then the button to pull up the on screen numbers and letters, move my thumb to make the pointer go to 1, then 4, then 0, then I am guessing enter maybe after 3 numbers it will go but you are still in the on screen keyboard mode so I doubt it., then use the touchpad again to go to the right and click. And I hope it would be that easy.

Just like no one wants to use a mouse with their Media Center, XBMC, or any other tv interface from their computer, beta testers will balk at using such an interface for any length of time. Having it for the web browser will be handy but everything else will be a chore.

Thanks for posting that. I thought I was probably the only old fart that moaned when I saw that remote demo'd on the CC. :rolleyes:Jeeze, I have to use a wireless mouse with my laptop. These arthritic fingers can't handle the gizmo on laptops,LOL.

Ed

I for one look forward to trying the new remote. I would think that tech people like the ones on this site would at least give a new feature or product a chance before saying it will suck or won't work.

Plus they have already stated the old 6.3 or 21.0 remote will still work with it.

I for one look forward to trying the new remote. I would think that tech people like the ones on this site would at least give a new feature or product a chance before saying it will suck or won't work.

Plus they have already stated the old 6.3 or 21.0 remote will still work with it.

I admire the new gadgets that come out, hell my attic is full of them. The Wii remote is cool for certain games but in the Wii menu reality sets in and you realize U,D, L, R would work so much better. Just like I said with Media Center or any media server; time has proven that this will not be readily adopted. A touch monitor is another example; yea it would be great for certain applications but for the bulk of getting around in an OS a Keyboard and Mouse are more efficient. I think the majority of "tech people" here have enough experience to weigh in on this topic.
A few (that will end up will end up with Carpal Tunnel) may like it; my prediction is 99% won't.

Most of you are afraid of this new way because you don't understand how it works. Think of it more like an iphone GUI than a traditional DOS Computer screen. If you want to jump around to different channels you'll just use the touch pad to position the pointer on the channel icon and click. Much simpler than remembering and punching in the channel number. If you still don't understand, it is more like a speed dial for phone numbers. You'll be able to build your own array of favorite channel "tiles" they call them or use the standard ones Dish provides.
They give you that traditional number pad to use to set up the tiles but anyone who continues to use that for channel surfing is one who just loves to do things the hard way.

I'll probably use the touch pad remote for the built-in browser, but for everything else my Harmony 880, if compatible. I am pretty sure about the Harmony working with the 922, if it works with the 6.3IR remote, then it'll work with universal remotes too.

Most of you are afraid of this new way because you don't understand how it works. Think of it more like an iphone GUI than a traditional DOS Computer screen. If you want to jump around to different channels you'll just use the touch pad to position the pointer on the channel icon and click. Much simpler than remembering and punching in the channel number. If you still don't understand, it is more like a speed dial for phone numbers. You'll be able to build your own array of favorite channel "tiles" they call them or use the standard ones Dish provides.
They give you that traditional number pad to use to set up the tiles but anyone who continues to use that for channel surfing is one who just loves to do things the hard way.
An Iphone works well because you can see where to touch because you are actually touching the screen. I guess if the guide responded to sweeping motions to page up and down, you could say that was like an Iphone. But to select anything you need the pointer to be on top of what you want to select. That works exactly like a touchpad on a laptop and nothing like an Iphone.

Kind of amazing how people are criticizing something they have never used. I am sure Claude at Dish Store will be able to sell you a standard 6.3 remote that you'll be able to use if you don't like it.

But come on, its not even out yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts