942 and 921 -- What are the differences

YourCoach

Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I currently have a 508 and a 6000 using a SW64 switch. I now have 3 HD capable sets. I'm trying to decide if it is time to jump on the new deal on the 921, and sell my 508, or continue waiting for to 942. I've read the review of the 942, but it doesn't really make clear the differences/strenghts/weakensses in comparison to the 921. Thoughts?

Carl

**WARNING** I know none of this as fact, just repeating what I have absorbed from reading about it here and elsewhere.

Main difference I'm aware of is the ability to drive two independent outputs similar to the 522 (I think the second output is SD but could be wrong). It is most likely similar to the 522 code-base instead of the 721/921 Linux core.

Other than that, who knows, I don't know whether any have actually been seen except for the one in the review article here.

Most people also seem to agree that the 942 will be a leased box, where instead you will own the 921. That makes a difference for some. It is highly unlikely the 942 will drive two sets in HD by the way, so I hope that's not what you were thinking with your 3 HD capable sets. I rarely use the 921 to record HD, so in my case it's not that much difference than your 6000 & 508 setup, except for being able to record two things at once, and the larger disk space.

Oh, and I like the program guide better on the 921 than on the 508/510 :p

I believe that it's been stated that the TV2 output of the 942 is SD-only. It's far from the be-all-end-all that E* would like it to be.

There's a huge thread on it around it somewhere.

The search button is your friend. Maybe try "942 first look" :rolleyes:

ocnier said:
I think it's a mistake though not to include two OTA's for the 942.

I got a response on some questions asked during the last Tech Chat. One of the responses was that the 942 will have two OTA Tuners. There may hope on the 942, but time will tell.

WeeJavaDude said:
I got a response on some questions asked during the last Tech Chat. One of the responses was that the 942 will have two OTA Tuners. There may hope on the 942, but time will tell.
I talked to a freind in engeneering earlier in the week, and the 942 progress is going well. I asked about two OTA tuners and was once again told it will only have one OTA tuner. So sounds like things have not changed much there. I was also told that the 942 will be shown at the CES and should be available for lease shortly after. Of course in saying that we must remember what engineering says and what the marketing department does are two different things. :)

I swear I don't mean to be a smart ass, but, if possible, can someone please reply to my original post I've repeated below regarding the comparison of features. Thanks.

I currently have a 508 and a 6000 using a SW64 switch. I now have 3 HD capable sets. I'm trying to decide if it is time to jump on the new deal on the 921, and sell my 508, or continue waiting for to 942. I've read the review of the 942, but it doesn't really make clear the differences/strenghts/weakensses in comparison to the 921. Thoughts?

Carl

Since the 942 has not been announced yet it is kind of hard to compare.

Like Simon said, Scott posted a 1st look on the 942 from last fall. Do a search and find the thread.

You will then know what everyone else knows.

BTW, Welcome to Satellite Guys.

Ive had my 921 for 3 weeks, (my 501 died) I love it, and it is mine... don't know about that leasing deal. The Ota tuners dpesn't matter as I do not have but one ota sd station... you can only output Hd or Sd at one time not both at once(have Replay hooked to it) but what I miss my 6000u catches in the Other room...Do not know if this helps but...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts