942 Deal for existing customers???

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
Has anyone heard any more about the deal to either purchase or lease a 942 for existing customers that was talked about back in June???

Just curious

I believe their only offer to existing customers is a 942 including installation for $798.00. No lease option. No credit for returning the receivers we do have.

To me, this is a slap in the face. I cannot afford that. :down

I may switch to Direct TV, I think I could get DVR with HD for much cheaper, plus they seem to treat their existing costomers better.

-Kev

See if they will match what D* is doing with the HD DTivo. $299 isn't bad at all, and you get a $100 mail in rebate to boot.

Dish won't match price match. If you want a cheap hdtv pvr, you can get a deal with Direct that, with programming credits, will run you around $350. DIAH offered me the 942 for $749. That's why I dumped them.If more people followed my lead, then DISH might be more inclined to actually offer the 942 to lontime customers at a price that is not double Direct and maybe even comparable to what new subscriber pays.

In the E* quarterly results conference call Charlie specifically said that they would rather have increased churn among HD DVR customers than put a bunch of leased boxes out that would have to be replaced when MPEG4 rolls out. To me that means there will never be a deal to lease a 942 for existing customers.

I was frustrated by the "deal" E* offered, but I can see his point. I made the jump to cable and, although not particularly pleased with the equipment, I will wait until the MPEG4 dust settles before returning to a satellite solution.

For myself, I don't see any reason to spend that kind of money on a 942 until the Mpeg 4 question is resolved. My 811 is good enough for now. I can wait.

I feel bed for you guys, that sux

Man I just switched from DirecTV and they gave me a sweet deal $299 then a $49 credit on the first month, free install and a 942 and 625 to boot(4 rooms) and 6 months of eveything they offer! for $67/month.

I hope Dish will listen to you folks as they treated me much better then DirecTV ever did!

It's sad to hear that Dish would not offer this to you the very customers that built them!

It's sad but understandable since MPEG4 is coming out in months. I think there will be some good deals after its introduction. I'm guessing a $500 HD DVR. For current 942 or 921 owners, I think there will be pretty good upgrade deals since both receivers can have a full and happy afterlife serving as reconditioned units serving in the same capacity as a 625 or 721, respectively.

Hell Raiser said:
Man I just switched from DirecTV and they gave me a sweet deal $299 then a $49 credit on the first month, free install and a 942 and 625 to boot(4 rooms) and 6 months of eveything they offer! for $67/month.

I hope Dish will listen to you folks as they treated me much better then DirecTV ever did!

It's sad to hear that Dish would not offer this to you the very customers that built them!

I hear that Direct is offering exisiting customers a HDTV PVR for $299 plus a $100 credit, and maybe some other goodies as well. That doesn't sound too bad.

kavula said:
For current 942 or 921 owners, I think there will be pretty good upgrade deals since both receivers can have a full and happy afterlife serving as reconditioned units serving in the same capacity as a 625 or 721, respectively.
Even better as they'll still be able to record OTA DTV.

dsclark said:
I hear that Direct is offering exisiting customers a HDTV PVR for $299 plus a $100 credit, and maybe some other goodies as well. That doesn't sound too bad.

I just tried signing up for DirecTV as a new customer. They are saying it will cost me $499 after MIR for a HD DVR. Is the $299 deal dead?

Good deal offered!!

Try ceo@echostar.com and state your case. I believe you'll possibly find you can lease a 942 for $250.00. A month ago or so, I communicated (via e-mail) & let them know I had been with them for several (9) years, had been a very loyal customer & wanted to see if I could get a 942 for something less than being advertised. I was offered an upgrade from my 811 to a 942 for $250.00. However after hearing about MPEG4 being right around the corner, I changed my mind & decided to wait.

Ken

I had the same offer for a 942 and decided to take it, even tho MPEG4 is coming sometime in the next 12 months.

The 942 tuners and software work together to give me a vastly better quality of picture than my old 811. I can record gobs of stuff. The programming guide is pretty and fast. And, the silver box matches my Sony HDTV and Sony upconerting DVD player!

But, it can be a tough decision -- I figure I'll upgrade to whatever new DVR Dish has next spring after they get all their channels moved around on the birds and get MPEG4 actually OUT THE DOOR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)