942 External Storage Availability

Jason

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 30, 2003
Is the 942 External Storage available yet? If so, where can I buy one at? Do only specific models work or will any external harddrive work? How will the 942 record to that drive? Will it automatically switch to that drive when the original drive is filled? Any and all info is much appreciated.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
We would all like to know the answer to your questions and also information as to when E*'s is going to rollout MPEG-4 and their hardware refresh plans. Unfortunately, E* is tight lipped on these issues and any replies are nothing more than wild conjecture, pure speculation, and unsubstantiated rumor.

Hey, have you heard all existing MPEG-2 receivers are compatible with E*'s newly formulated super deluxo MPEG-4 stream? :D

Seriously, I would love to add inexpensive USB storage to my 942...sure wish E* would provide us with some information.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I don't see myself owning a Pocket Dish and I personally don't see much advantage of offloading pictures onto the 942. Although I was able to download pics from my Sony Camcorder, it was just as easy to plug the camera into my Sony TV using RCA cables and it was even easier to insert the memory stick right into the Sony TV.

A friend of mine recently purchased a 250MB SATA hard drive and a stand alone enclosure. The cost of the drive, enclosure and cable was under $120 and all he had to do was plug it into his Adelphia SA8300HD DVR and viola! He doubled his storage capacity and recording time.

I would love to be able to add a USB HD to the 942...the sooner, the better!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts