942 Hard Drive temperature

Kryspy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I have an ExpresVU 9200 (942) and I am concerned about the hard drive temperature.

Under diagnostics I get:

High 57
Low 42
Avg 49

Does everyone have similar experiences? I notice that the ventilation holes are on the bottom. Does the 942 have aregular type motherboard that I could attach a hard drive cooler to the hard drive or no?

Thanks

Kryspy

Thanks for all the replies :)

Well,

Since I made a custom cabinet built in to the wall for my equipment and TV I thought up a solution.

the shelf that my 9200 sits on is 18 inches wide by 22 inches deep. I cut a square out of the shelf 4 inches back from the front edge 14 inches X 6 inches deep. So now the hard drive fan vents down through the hole in the shelf thus giving it a bit more room to breath.

I will post the results. Right now it registers 32 as the low but that is shortly after start up.

Crispy

I had a high temperature problem with my 942 and it sits out in the open above my entertainment center all by itself. What I did as put 1/4 inch spacers under each of the feet to raise it. That caused the fan to cool the unit more efficiently and lower the operating tempurature considerably. Prior to that it was very hot to the touch.

hmmm. i'm thinking about a 942 unit myself. i knew having adequate spacing for heat was an issue but i didn't how much. maybe i'll just live out my contract with this dizarned 921 and do away with dish later. seems like VOOM is the only thing dish still has a leg up on in respect to my HD needs. thanks for the 'heads up.'

gutter said:
I had a high temperature problem with my 942 and it sits out in the open above my entertainment center all by itself. What I did as put 1/4 inch spacers under each of the feet to raise it. That caused the fan to cool the unit more efficiently and lower the operating tempurature considerably. Prior to that it was very hot to the touch.
That's a good idea. I haven't had an overheating problem, but I have noticed the 942 has very little clearance. I will attach some extra rubber spacers to the feet prior to this evenings Tech Chat.

The 942 should have a thermostat that would shut down your receiver once it gets too hot. Of course, heat is a killer so any improvement before shut down would be wise.
I think the DVR receivers all seem to have a thermocoupler near the hard drives. This in turn gets things hotter than your average computer. Great design...

Kryspy said:
Thanks for all the replies :)

Well,

Since I made a custom cabinet built in to the wall for my equipment and TV I thought up a solution.

the shelf that my 9200 sits on is 18 inches wide by 22 inches deep. I cut a square out of the shelf 4 inches back from the front edge 14 inches X 6 inches deep. So now the hard drive fan vents down through the hole in the shelf thus giving it a bit more room to breath.

I will post the results. Right now it registers 32 as the low but that is shortly after start up.

Crispy
You may want to put a fan on that hole. It will help move the air out of there. Actually, if you do that on a few shelves, you can help keep all of your equipment cool.

GaryPen

Ya,

I was thinking of putting a fan on top of my DVD player which below the 9200. I can get one with a modded regular wall plug and plug it into my stereo receivers "switched" plug.

Kryspy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)