942 HDMItv signal issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dishsystems

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
california
I have a customer in L.A. that has a Panasonic TH-50PX500U TV and a 942 unit.He is saying that his TV cannot pick up the signal through the HDMI input off the 942.We have replaced the rcvr.and checked out the old one and everything checks out good.Panasonic has said that the only signal issues they have had have been with LG,and Toshiba DVD players through the HDMI.Has anyone else has signal issues with their TV's through HDMI?

checked systems

Yeah we already replaced the cables. The only setting in the TV for the HDMI input was to set the audio to auto. The tv is HDCP compliant.I think that the input is bad on the TV.We have replaced the rcvr. twice with still the same issues. No audio comes through either.

On the audio, perchance you are using the supplied HDMI-to-DVI cable with the DVI-to-HDMI adapter? This will not pass audio, I understand, as the DVI has no audio. You may need an HDMI-to-HDMI cable. I don't know what audio to auto refers to. Does it have Toslink input?

If you are not getting a picture, it is HDCP, bad cable, or bad something else. Try component cables with the other disconnected.
-Ken

dishsystems said:
I have a customer in L.A. that has a Panasonic TH-50PX500U TV and a 942 unit.He is saying that his TV cannot pick up the signal through the HDMI input off the 942.We have replaced the rcvr.and checked out the old one and everything checks out good.Panasonic has said that the only signal issues they have had have been with LG,and Toshiba DVD players through the HDMI.Has anyone else has signal issues with their TV's through HDMI?

Did the customer say that it was the video, audio or both signals?

If its like my tv Samsung 40"LCD I have the same problem with audio. I use the HDVI output from my 942 and connect it to the DVI input on my TV. Note I said DVI input on the TV as DVI does not support audio. To get the audio I had to use the computer mono plug in the back of the TV, I bought a y splitter to convert audio to mono. This works fine as the tv then processes the signal to deliver stereo. I use my HT system for Dolby 5.1. Make sure the TV supports HDVI and not just DVI

Yeah we checked his cables and immediatly threw out the dish supplied hdmi / dvi cables....Top quality stuff ya know! ...The auto setting I was Talking about was the audio setting in the tv. I took a 942 down to my buddy over at Best Buy and we hooked it to every tv with HDMI in the place and it worked great.The customer is now convinced it's his TV.Go figure.

cebps1To get the audio I had to use the computer mono plug in the back of the TV said:
No device can convert a mono signal to stereo. At best it can give a fake stereo signal.

Tying together stereo signals with a Y adapter is shorting 2 amplifiers, a bad idea. It is recommended to use just the left channel or buy an impedance matching tee, which has resistors in each leg to isolate the L and R signals from each other.
-Ken

Just got a Toshiba 26" hd tv with hdmi , and it has an option you must activate to get the sound out of regular rca cables ,since the hdmi out of the 942 doesn't do any sound yet. You have to go to the audio menu and change it to dvi instead of hdmi and then you get sound for the rca audio cables. Maybe if you read the tv manual , there is a similar option.

A tee is just wire connections inside.
An impedance-matching tee has resistors to the center and can match at all frequencies but has more loss. They can be 3-way or more.
A splitter tries to impedance match RF using a 1- or 2-turn transformer and resistors, like we use for antennas.
How any of these will work for audio or video I cannot predict.
Usually you can get away with short cables and just tying them together for output but will need resistor limiting for inputs. The desired value depend on the drivers.
Again I would recommend just using the left (or right) stereo signal for your mono input -- no mismatch problems, just not the center signal.
Yes, do try to use both L and R to RCA inputs on your TV after checking the manual for how to use separate HDMI and audio.

Question -- Are you sure it is a mono plug? A 1/8" stereo jack has second pick-off on a ring up the plug. Try a standard stereo 1/8" plug with RCA breakout on the other end. If L (white) and R (red) are reversed, just swap the RCA plugs even if the color code is wrong. Does the TV say it is mono? Can it be use with the HDMI? Or was it DVI?
-Ken

My TV is a Samsung LTN406W LCD that was made in 2003/2004 (one of the first 40" flat panel LCD TV's). It has DVI-D input to be used a s a monitor but it does not support HDMI. If using the DVI-D input signal one must use the PC audio input of the TV in order to get sound. I tried to plug the L/R wires from the 942 to the TV L/R inputs and got NO signal! To get around this I was told by the Samsung Tech. to use a minni Y connector (not the1/8 inch the smaller one say 1/16) and plug it in to the PC audio in the back of the TV. Which works fine for regular TV programs as you say its fake stero but fine. I use the Digital Toslink out of the 942 to the HT systen for Dolby movies from DVD or SAT.

I could just use the component cables but was told the DVI-D provides the best possible signal. Do you still think I should use an "impedance-matching tee"? The current configuration has been that way for about 2 months now.
thanks,
Brian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts