942 installation question 2nd tuner

cheezehead

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
I have a few questions before i try to order a 942. I needs some understanding from the experts here before i call the csr's.

1. The 942 needs two dbs signals, therefore do you have to fish a second coax to the receiver. Most people prob have one coax behind their TV and do not want a coax stapled around the back of their house. (or maybe i am in the minority). How do you get around this?

2. The 942 feeds a second TV. How do you get the output out to the second TV. Is it another coax besides the two dbs inputs? So you actually need 3 coax's at your 942. two in and one out. How do you do this and not tear up your house?

3. I do not subscribe to locals so i do not have a superdish and do not receive epg info on my 811. If i want epg do i just need a superdish, or do i need a superdish and need to subscribe to locals. (I believe i read somewhere you just need to see the local satelite to get the epg, you didnt have to subscribe to locals to get epg but now think i am reading different.)

Thanks in advance for your help. I am sooooo confused.

Cheezehead

(a packer fan stranded in kansas)

1. Most likely with your current dish setup, you do need two coax lines to a 942. That is, unless you have or upgrade your satellite dish to use DishProPlus equipment. I don't know what LNBFs and switches you have, but with DishProPlus, you only need one coax to a two-tuner receiver. With DishProPlus, you need DishPro LNBFs and DishProPlus switches. Confused? We need more info to make sure you have the right instructions.

2. You do it very carefully. Yes, you will have two or three cables coming out of the wall for your 942. One of which, you can either use coax or RCA cables to run to TV2.

3. I've always been fuzzy about this, so I cannot answer this.

Where in Kansas?

Welcome to the forum, cheezehead!

I have four RG6 cables (coming through the wall) to my 942: two from the dish (actually this is one is a dual cable), one from the OTA antenna (I could have combined this one with a satellite cable via dipexer) and one going to other rooms (former cable connection)...

You can use the new dishpro plus twin lnb and the seperator that will split your one cable in to two for your 942 receiver. You can get them at www.dishdepot.com or at the www.dishstore.com .

As for the other coax leading out of your 942 receiver to the other tv, you can use your existing cable that was run from when you had cable tv. Simply run the coax that was in your main room to the back of your 942 coax output. Then take that coax where it comes into your house and run it to the multi splitter input and disconnect the multi splitter from the main cable from the cable company. So your coax from the 942 will drive you splitter and all the tvs in your house that you have cable run to.

If not then you can use an audio /video sender that will accomplish the same thing without another run. I know my mom and dad use the " Angel Trax Wireless Cable Tv System audio/ video sender " that I got for them from Bestbuy. It sold for $149.00 but it actually works without breakups on the audio and video like the cheap terk video senders do. Even when they use the microwave . You can get one of them at Bestbuy store or on the web at www.bestbuy.com .

That is the way I can see that you can easily accomplish the new install without running any new coaxes. The lnb is simple to change out and you can use it for up to two receivers in your house. Say one 942 with a seperator at the back of the 942 and another receiver somewhere else in your house as long as it is a newer dishpro receiver . The seperator will work with the 921, 942, 625, 522, and the 322 dual tuner receivers. The best part about the dishpro plus twin lnb, is that you can easily attach another side sat dish to 61.5 satellite for Voom hd channels and you can easily run one coax to the side dish straight to the input coax on the lnb and you have the switch built in so no more multi switches to attach . Just make sure the side sat dish has a dish pro dual or single lnb. It will cost you another dish install but in the end you will have all your problems solved you talked about and you will have Voom as well. Barring any line of sight issues for the 61.5 sat.

I use the dishpro plus twin and a side sat dish for 61.5 and I have two 942s hooked up to it. I love it. I hope this helps you with your decision. :)

Thanks for the quick answers. I live in Wichita Kansas. I would really hate to pay 5.00 Dollars for epg for locals when i am receiving them for free with the ota.

As far as the other questions I really do not know my equip. It was installed 2 years ago. I have a 501, and 301 and an 811 with a dish 500. I have to be honest I am moving and am going to run my own coax in a new house. I guess i should have asked what should I run behind my big screen downstairs for a 942 and possibly future equipment. I will be calling dish to pause my service and get cox cable (not by choice) while i get my new house built. I will try to get a superdish out of the move (i assume i will have to sign up for locals) and will attempt to get a 942 as well. I was really confused on how many coaxs to run. I think I will invest in the dual rg6 sheathed coaxs. Would this be a good investment? I wish dish would make more single tuner hdtv dvrs being that i have 3 hdtv's. feeding multiple tv's sounds like a great idea on paper but only if the 2 output would he HD as well. Maybe the new mpeg 4 receivers will help.

thanks for your help

Cheeze

cheezehead,
I hesitate to say this, as I will receive heaps of scorn from all the other 942 owners, but the 942 will work with just one DBS connection :eek: I say that because it's been too dang hot to crawl around the attic to install the second coax I need. You need to disable the nightly reboot, otherwise you're retesting your switch configuration every morning. Also, the 942 is most stable running in Dual model, with Tuner 1 selected as the preferred tuner for recordings. Obviously, any time you're recording, you have to watch what you're recording, but you do have the option of watching Digital OTA or a previously recorded DVR event.

That said, I would strongly suggest you do it right and have either two RG6 run from your switch, or use a DPP switch and the included Separator.

MikeD thanks for the info. Have a question i looked at the dishdepot website and saw the twin lnb and the seperator needed. Also i saw a dp 44. would i need this. I kind of understand the whole freq transponder and why you need the seperator but why would you need a dp 44 switch?

You wouldn't need a dp44 switch unless you are trying to connect 4 satellite slots together at the same time. What I have suggested is all you need to do what you want + provide a side sat dish to the 61.5 slot for Voom.

cheezehead said:
why would you need a dp 44 switch?

The DPP44 will allow you to feed fours receivers including both the 942 tuners (if you include a DPP Separator).

Alt

Well, not really but sort of. A side sat is usually considered 61.5 or 148 and requires a second (or side) dish to receive. The SuperDish replaces a Dish 500, so there would only be one dish. Since it receives a sat that isn't 110 or 119, I can see how you could call it a side sat. No one has said whether you need a SuperDish to get local guide info and if you do, whether you need to subscribe to Wichita locals.

Here's my decision tree:
If someone comes along and says you:

1. Need a SuperDish
A. You want VOOM, 61.5, or 148 side sat
i). You need a SuperDish, a second dish (usually 61.5), and Edited: not sure yet
B. You do not want VOOM, 61.5, or 148 side sat
i). You will have three or four receivers
a. You need a SuperDish and Edited: not sure yet
ii). You will have one or two receivers
a. You need a SuperDish and Edited: not sure yet
2. Do not need a SuperDish
A. You want VOOM, 61.5, or 148 side sat
a. You need a Dish 500, a second dish (usually 61.5), and a DPP 44
a. You need a Dish 500 with a DPP Twin and a second dish (usually 61.5)
B. You do not want VOOM, 61.5, or 148 side sat
a. You need a Dish 500 and a DPP 44
a. You need a Dish 500 with a DPP Twin
Confused? If you get a SuperDish, I recommend you have it professionally installed, and they'd probably take care of everything you need. If you don't get one, DIY installation of my suggestions would be much easier. Furthermore, all your LNB's and receivers have to be DishPro-compatible, except when noted as DishProPlus. This decision tree will allow you to only run one coax to any two-tuner receiver. This tree will only allow you to have up to four receivers but any or all of them can be two-tuner. Most importantly, this is definately the 'cleanest', simplest installation you can have, but it will be more expensive this way.

i like the superdish with 2 dual receivers config. voom isnt that appealing but getting the local epg with the superdish is a must seing that my wife loves using our 501 but cant for locals. I have 2 hdtv's and two sd tv's so the dual 942's sounds sweet and then can record hd as well. I love the HD programming but the VOOM lineup doesnt sound like anything I would watch. Thanks for that tree. I will look into getting two 942's. recording hdtv locals is getting pretty important here for the wife.

cheezehead,

Your local market requires a SuperDish 105. I've attached a photo below so you can see what the dish will look like. You are NOT going to be able to use a DishProPlus (DPP) LNB with your 105 SD. You can use a DPP44 switch which all it would allow you to do with your SD system is to configure a 4th SAT feed from a separate single dish (ex. 61.5/148) into your setup. Using a DPP44 with the SD you will NOT be able to use single coax runs to dual tuners and use separators to split the signal into 2 feeds at the receivers. Your going to need 2 SAT feeds at those locations from your DP34 or DPP44 switch locations.

The difference between the DP34 (which will come with your 105 SD) and a DPP44 in your case, the name says it all. DP34 (3) in from the SAT (4) out to receivers. DPP44 (4) in from the SAT (4) out to receivers. Each of these switches can be cascaded out to a total of 3 switches giving you a grand total of 12 receiver tuner outputs.

If you have the luxury of wiring your house as it's being built, run 2 SAT IN coaxes and 1 SAT OUT at every possible TV location your going to have up into attic space to one central location so you'll always be able to get to them and configure your system any way you want in the future. With the use of your multi-switch/switches and grounding blocks or barrel connectors you'll be able to do what ever in the world you want to with your system. Just be sure and label each end of your coaxes so you'll know whats what. Coax is relatively cheap to install now before the fact compared to needing it after the fact.

Which ever way you go good luck.

Attachments

• 105 SD.jpg
    105 SD.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 193
cheezehead said:
I love the HD programming but the VOOM lineup doesn't sound like anything I would watch.

If thats the case don't ever bother with the expense of a DPP44 switch then your SuperDish 105 will come with (1) DP34 switch and by you only needing 4 receiver outputs to feed your (2) dual tuner 942's you will only need that (1) DP34.

The local guide thing is very confusing. After much seaching on E*'s new, cool Tech Portal, I found this: ( http://tech.dishnetwork.com/howto/howto_AddoFair.shtml click on Local Link Feature Explain)
The program guide information displayed is:
DISH DMA mapdown: full info with subscription
Digital TV: full info with subscription to DMA
Analog TV: no info
I take this to mean that an E* local subscription is required to get HD local guide data. I think E* might get enough flak in the future to give data away or some other better solution. To get Wichita guide data, I would guess that you need a SuperDish, but that's only a guess.

About the SuperDish thing, if you end up getting one, E* will install one for you for $49.99 if you commit for 12 months to AT60 and Wichita locals. However, there could be extra charges for DishProPlus equipment, especially on the DPP 44. All this would commit you to $71.88 for locals (a year's total). If you got two 942's (about $1400 retail right there), you wouldn't need a subscription or a SuperDish since you get them OTA, but you would to get guide. If you only had two 942's, you didn't get SuperDish, and no side dish, then you could get a DPP Twin and replace the LNBF you have on your Dish500 for ~$40.

I would have a SuperDish with Wichita locals, but I'm very happy with my grandfathered New York/Denver/Los Angeles Distant Networks! :D

kavula said:
[/indent]B. You do not want VOOM, 61.5, or 148 side sat
a. You need a SuperDish and a DPP 44​

I'm not sure if i agree with this.

Why would he need a DPP44 with his SuperDish? He wasn't needing a 4th SAT feed mixed in his system? The 105 FSS LNB is not going to let him utilize sending both feeds in one coax to feed a dual tuner.

kavula said:
a. You need a SuperDish with a DPP Twin

I know for a fact that ain't gonna work. A DPP Twin isn't going to fit onto the 105 assembly. Here again, the 105 FSS LNB will not mix into the DPP Twin.

I'm in no way flaming or bashing you kavula, i just don't want someone getting the wrong expensive information.​

Thank you for correcting me. The tree is, I guess, a work in progress. I wasn't aware that FSS LNBF's are not really compatible with the DPP 44. I've never found any manuals or such for the DPP 44, but I have for the DPP Twin. Looking at the manual (http://www.dishretailer.com/dpp/dpptwin.pdf), I found no reason to believe that the one-coax-to-two-tuner-receiver feature of DishProPlus didn't work with FSS LNBF's. I assumed that if it could work with the DPP Twin, it would work the same with the DPP 44. I'm guessing that I was wrong. If so, what's the point of the DPP 44? It seems pretty useless as described.

You are entirely correct with your second point. I was letting what seemed reasonable at the time overtake what what actually practical.

Of course my advice was expensive, but I thought I qualified it mostly to suggest professional help is preferred. I even said my advice was more expensive than any installation truly requires, but if I tried to write a tree for legacy, DP, DPP, and every option within, my tree would end up ten feet long.

btw, a question to no one in particular, why is it that every friendly correction is qualified with a "i'm not flaming you" bomb? There's no need to stroke my feelings; when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. ;)

The DPP equipment is great for a DMA that only requires 119 and 110, or even adding 148 or 61.5 to the input. The DPP Twin will switch 119, 110, and 65.1 or 148 but not the 105/121 FSS LNB's. The DPP Twin is ideal for running E*'s highly promoted 942's, 625's, and 322's and as long as you don't through 105 or 121 into the mix you can add a DPP44 which will give you 4 outputs capable of running 4 dual tuners w/ separators. Or if you want to go extreme cascade 3 DPP44's together off your DPP Twin which will give you 12 single tuner outputs and up to 24 dual tuner outputs with the use of separators.

All in all these DPP44's will work with a 105/121 SuperDish but in the locations where a single coax is used to feed a dual tuner with separators you will not pick up the 105/121 SATs but will the 119 and 110. So your kind of defeating the purpose of the DPP44 in this case all you really need is DP34 Unless you want to add a 4th SAT feed.

For your last question, that was my way of letting you know i have feelings and in no way did i mean to step on yours. I didn't want you to think i was some new guy here thinking i was a Mr. know-it-all when I'm far from it. I learn something new everyday. I do very much respect your reply and you as a person.

Well, according to this .pdf i owe you a major apology. The bad thing is I've had this .pdf on my PC for months and never once did i notice this quote.

Introduction
The DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF features DISH Pro Plus Technology and provides reception from the 110 and 119 orbital locations. The device includes two receiver outputs and one input from an additional DISH Pro Single, DISH Pro Dual, or a DISH Network bandstacked FSS LNBF supporting a third orbital location.

I was taught different than what this says. I've got some literature somewhere around here that contradicts the above. When i find it I'll be sure and post it. Just to think I've been doing this the hard way (what a idiot).

Again, i do apologize for my mis-informative correction. My bad, it does appear to some extent i was indeed wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)