942 Major HD Problem

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
Just for everyone's info

I have a 942 running for 4 days. Today when I put the 942 on I got Error Message 0521 - Hard Drive Problem - call Dish 1 800 333 3474

After talking with Advance Tech I was told the 942 would need to be replaced but a higher up needs to approve it. Could be a few days

So for the current time the 942 has no DVR functions - if you try DVR it locks up and need as reset - but it does work as a (expensive) 811 for now.

This may be just a one time problem (but why would they have the error message already built in) however know it exists.

I thought this would be about some kind of HD problem with the 942 HD DVR, but it's actually an HDD problem. ;)

Anyway, that's too bad about your 942. Hopefully you didn't have too many important recordings <= 4 days old...
Grandpa J said:
This may be just a one time problem (but why would they have the error message already built in) however know it exists.
Well, not sure what you're asking there :confused:, but it only makes sense to equip the unit to display appropriate error messages for whatever can go wrong, no matter how soon after the unit was manufactured...

same happened to me

My unit got exactly the same problem today. Advance Tech said they need to inform the higher up and might replace my unit.
Grandpa did you get your problem fixed? How long it take to get it fixed/replaced?
I am glad that I leased it!

Sam

Grandpa J said:
Just for everyone's info

I have a 942 running for 4 days. Today when I put the 942 on I got Error Message 0521 - Hard Drive Problem - call Dish 1 800 333 3474

After talking with Advance Tech I was told the 942 would need to be replaced but a higher up needs to approve it. Could be a few days

So for the current time the 942 has no DVR functions - if you try DVR it locks up and need as reset - but it does work as a (expensive) 811 for now.

Dish sent a new 942 - in all it took about 4 days from first call to delivery of unit.

The new 942 is working great

I really think it is the shipping company bouncing the box around not a Dish problem. Original unt was sent UPS and the outside box had a small dent. Second unit was sent FedEx.

It could just as easily be a bad hard drive. Failure in the first week or so of operation, is typical of infant mortality for disk drive hardware.

As a collection of drives across all the distributed units, you'll see a lot of drive failures in the first 2-3 months then it'll settle down.

That doesn't make it any less frustrating that you experienced the failure, but I'm glad that you were taken care of quickly.

Best,

E* full of it when cancelling?

811 connections

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)