942 Number 6

HatGuy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Dish is now sending us another 942 HD Receiver.
this will be the 5tn one they sent out in the last
7 months and we have only been with them 8 months.
I can't beleive any company would treat their customers
this way. It is a fact that the 942 is not a good receiver.
We have tried to get them to send us a 622 (improved receiver?)
but no dice. Not with out signing up for another 18 months
of hell. The 942 we have turns its self off and acquires
satellites again and you miss 4-5 minites of the show you are
watching or recording. It did this 29 times while recording
yesterday. we now have proof.

Does anyone know how to get out of this contract with out
giving them more money.

We need help!!!!!!

After all those failures I would look at something else as the culprit.

Maybe your power line is spikey causing the failures, maybe the system is improperly grounded.

Also, the dish and switches....... There might be the signal interruption to cause constant re-accquire the signals..........

I can't believe those idiots would look at the account and see 6 replaced receivers in 8 months and not think something else has to be wrong with the setup. I vote for the bad cable/connector theory.

The most recent sounds like something in the connection to the dish, whether it be bad cables, connections, switches or LNBs. Or bad power. At this point, after having tried 5 different 942s, the 942s would be the least likely culprit.

Or maybe he is overheating them by putting them in a cabinet with no circulation. What exactly is happening to them?

Another vote for rock solid 942 here. My 811 has been...well... unique but is doing MUCH better as of late. The 942? Never really a problem. Check the cabling for shorts, breaks, kinks, etc. Check the power for brownouts/surges, put the thing on a UPS to smooth out the voltage. The 921 was a POS. The 942? No.

There is no doubt in my mind there is a problem with your power or cable run. The 942 is a good solid unit. Do you have frequent power outages. I would take the advice here and get a UPS ASAP and check the lines. Make sure there is no power introduced anywhere in the cable lines. Are they still hooked to your cable company?

I got a ups yesterday and hooked it up. This morning same thing Just keeps rebooting over and over again.
Sometimes in 1 min. between others 12 or 20 then runs just fine for hours then
started it again. I put the Receiver on 2x2 blocks for more air ( to keep it cool )
the Hard drive high temp. is 119. The tech before last moved the dish Said the original instaler did not ground it.Just got another receiver today deliver by UPS.
Wen is my day off so I will hook it up then. They wont send anyone out unless we pay 79.00 for a service call.

I hate Dish.

Any other ideas? I'm at the end of my rope!

Dont hate Dish its not a receiver issue. Next step would be to look at the cables, connectors, switch and LNB.

With all the time you have put into it maybe paying $79 is not a bad idea to have them come and rip everything out and start from sratch. The 942 was acutally a VERY stable unit.

Returned a leased 942 after purchasing a 622. Not a single problem with the 942 after 12 months of service; rock-solid reliable...just like my Ford F-150. After six receivers in eight months, I would look elsewhere: electrical, install, etc.

We may have found the problem. This last receiver (refurbed) is now giving us an a mesage that there is a problem with the switch box. The only way I get a good check switch test is to disconect input 2. Called Dish and the said covered under warranty and they will send some one out to fix it at no charge.

All I ever wanted was to see the programing I signed up for with out paying more money. Not 79.95 to fix their problem. Not "Loan" Them 199.99 to get an up grade and wait 10 months to get it back. Not to pay more mone for a higher priced package If I do up grade. All I really wanted to do was get what they told me I would get when I singed up and that inclued locals in HD. That's what they told me Sign up for HD package and get locals in HD. Liars!!!!

Last edited:
Paradox-SJ said:
I've had the 942 from the day it went public and it is rock solid even better than my 622.

Your problem is localized and NOT with the 942

Same with me. Broke my heart to have to go to the 622, which is a good box, but had its own "issues" while finally getting settled in. Only reason I went to 622 was to get ready for the MPEG-4 changeover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts