942 Obsolete: Dish Network Ripoff?

Bluntskull:

It can get other HD channels with another Dish500 pointed at 61.5 but they won't be any of the new Mpeg4 channels. On April 1st you can swap the 942 for a 622 for $100 but there will probably be a months wait. The 622's are being released at a trickle. You will need two dishes for it. Read through the different threads on the 622. Whatever you need will be installed with the leased 622. It's an upgrade that is available once a year. Have you had your 942 for over a year and is it leased? Where do you live? I take it you live on the East coast if you were told you need a dish pointed at 61.5.

AS far as the Mpeg terminology go to this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/glossary

Last edited:
teachsac said:
Hi Bluntskull,

Not going to flame ya.

Well your service man is not correct, really. The channels that were added recently (universal, ESPN2, and 5 Voom) are tagged with an MPEG4 header so only the new VIP series receivers (211, 622, and 411 (not VIP)) can receive them. The original VOOM channels are MPEG2. They are on 61.5 and 129 depending on your location. DOn't know if you can still subscribe to them though.

As for the upgrade, on April 1st, people with a 921 or 942 can upgrade to the 622 receiver for $299. When you return your old receiver, they will credit your account $200 (A.K.A. the rebate).

Scott
But Bluntskull purchased a $699 receive three months ago and was told he would be able to receive all current and future HD channels with his 942. So he is now being required to pay 99 dollars and forfeit ownership of his receiver under the Dish'n It Up promotion (if he even qualifies). However, if he was given correct information by E* then he would have waited and:

1. Leased a 622 for $299 and thus saved $499 ($699+$99-$299) and would up with the same leased 622 receiver as his now going through DIU.

2. Purchased a 622 for the same price and had the receiver with the capabilities he had ordered, and was promised.

Anyway you look at it, Dish Network struck this gentleman with Blunt force trauma to the Skull...Bluntskull.

Thanks, Scott.

Again, it is truly amazing what you can learn by joining a forum and talking to strangers. You all have been a huge help!

Someone made the observation above that if I had joined this forum first before buying the 942, I'd have been smarter. I completely agree.

My defense is that I just plain don't have the time to do research on that kind of scale. I just call the reps for the various providers and ask questions.

Oh well.

riffjim4069 said:
But Bluntskull purchased a $699 receive three months ago and was told he would be able to receive all current and future HD channels with his 942. So he is now being required to pay 99 dollars and forfeit ownership of his receiver under the Dish'n It Up promotion (if he even qualifies). However, if he was given correct information by E* then he would have waited and:

1. Leased a 622 for $299 and thus saved $499 ($699+$99-$299) and would up with the same leased 622 receiver as his now going through DIU.

2. Purchased a 622 for the same price and had the receiver with the capabilities he had ordered, and was promised.

Anyway you look at it, Dish Network struck this gentleman with Blunt force trauma to the Skull...Bluntskull.

I didn't say that I agreed. Just stating the facts. I am in the same situation as you. After the tech chat, I e-mailed ceo and was given a 942 lease. I asked the person (no names) about MPEG4 being delayed and new channels. No Problem.

Needless to say right now I am working above the resolution team and I'll leave it at that for now.

Scott

riffjim4069 said:
I didn't mean to contradict you...I was just building on something you mentioned. I'm on multitask overload this evening...:eek:

No problem. I know how that goes. I'm trying to get E* to understand how unhappy a large portion of the subscribers are. I was given "misinformation" even after reading this forum for quite a while. Since I lease, the upgrade path is somewhat tolerable. My original request was the difference in lease price between the 942 and 622 since I was given erroneous info by a member of the resolution team. That was denied by "J" (who was rather rude). I'm waaaaaayyyyy beyond him now.

I feel really bad for owners of those pieces of equipment and new customers who were given a 942 the last week. They are the ones getting the shaft. E* has been rather cold and callous. They talk about churn in their 10K, but they're not helping the situation.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)