942/OTA Install issue...?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So I had my 942 (and a couple of 811s) installed yesterday and all's well, with one caveat.

My OTA locals all come in solid on the 811's that were also installed yesterday in the 2nd and 3rd rooms. Two key locals won't lock or won't lock without scramble/block artifacting on the 942, WGN 9 and the local Fox 32 Chicago stations. I currently think it has to do with the wiring done to split/accomodate the two tuners in the 942. The satellite strength is 100 and the antenna ranges from 74-94, and both dishes (have the 2nd for locals/V* pack) seem fine. The installer said he had to use an "older splitter I found up on the roof from a previous install, because the newer one used by Voom won't work with the E* system", and he said he didn't have a newer splitter for the roof on hand. He suggested I get one and swap it out myself. He also didn't have white coaxial for the front room 2nd line run, which I did swap out (good Gold cable from RS), and yes, the OTA issue was in effect before I changed the coax. BTW, I have a 5ft Winegard OTA antenna, unpowered, but I'm close to the city so my signal strengths up to now have been strong. I understand that V* boxes supposedly powered the antenna while E*s do not...but my puzzlelment comes from the 811s solid locks and the 942s not doing so.

Any further light you folks could shed on this would be appreciated. I wonder if I can get E* to send out another installer to tweak this and provide the best/appropriate hardware for the roof...or if I SHOULD do this myself. I'm not sure what exactly to ask for (I assume this is a heavy duty outdoor splitter/diplexer combo or not?), so input is appreciated.

shanewalker said:
So I had my 942 (and a couple of 811s) installed yesterday and all's well, with one caveat.

My OTA locals all come in solid on the 811's that were also installed yesterday in the 2nd and 3rd rooms. Two key locals won't lock or won't lock without scramble/block artifacting on the 942, WGN 9 and the local Fox 32 Chicago stations. I currently think it has to do with the wiring done to split/accomodate the two tuners in the 942. The satellite strength is 100 and the antenna ranges from 74-94, and both dishes (have the 2nd for locals/V* pack) seem fine. The installer said he had to use an "older splitter I found up on the roof from a previous install, because the newer one used by Voom won't work with the E* system", and he said he didn't have a newer splitter for the roof on hand. He suggested I get one and swap it out myself. He also didn't have white coaxial for the front room 2nd line run, which I did swap out (good Gold cable from RS), and yes, the OTA issue was in effect before I changed the coax. BTW, I have a 5ft Winegard OTA antenna, unpowered, but I'm close to the city so my signal strengths up to now have been strong. I understand that V* boxes supposedly powered the antenna while E*s do not...but my puzzlelment comes from the 811s solid locks and the 942s not doing so.

Any further light you folks could shed on this would be appreciated. I wonder if I can get E* to send out another installer to tweak this and provide the best/appropriate hardware for the roof...or if I SHOULD do this myself. I'm not sure what exactly to ask for (I assume this is a heavy duty outdoor splitter/diplexer combo or not?), so input is appreciated.

This is a common issue with the 942 - please see this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=41157

Thanks for the link Alto101. What's your suggestion on my situation? Should I lean on E* to send out another installer to rework the drop for the 942, i.e. eliminate the diplexing for that room, etc.?

shanewalker said:
Thanks for the link Alto101. What's your suggestion on my situation? Should I lean on E* to send out another installer to rework the drop for the 942, i.e. eliminate the diplexing for that room, etc.?

I can only say that I am not doing anything right now. There is also an issue with some OTA locals not having guide info with the 942. There are several threads at the same site as earlier with the info. The one channel that the 942 does not lock for me is one that I don't watch - so my situation is different than yours.

You can certainly try to improve the setup at your house - it can't hurt anything. But I am 99% sure that the problem is with the 942 - either a hardware issue or a software issue. I am hoping that it is a software issue that will be corrected soon. Keep checking the other site since the Admin there is pretty close to the E* tech people and is aware of the problem and is awaiting a resolution.

Overall, the 942 is a great STB. The HD picture quality is awesome and even the SD PQ seems to be better than Voom. Several 942 owners have commented that the SD PQ is much better with the 942 than previous E* STB's so I think they spent a lot of time and money on the 942.

Thanks again, I'll keep fingers crossed that software updates improve the situation. I also went proactive and called E* today and talked to tech support...net result is they're sending someone by this Wednesday while my wife's home working to look over the install and see what they think's wrong (he wasn't happy to hear that the initial installer knew the splitter was 'old' but didn't have a better one on hand to do the job right). So, we'll see...I know they can't muck with the OTA too much for fear of liability, but maybe there will be some improvements made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)