942 OTA Reception

plumfam4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Any help on why my OTA channels keep going in and out It says my signal strength is between 75-80. It doesn't want to seem to lock. Any ideas? Is this a problem with my 942 or with the signal itself? Thanks for any and all help

plumfam4 said:
Any help on why my OTA channels keep going in and out It says my signal strength is between 75-80. It doesn't want to seem to lock. Any ideas? Is this a problem with my 942 or with the signal itself? Thanks for any and all help

I find that you need a solid 75+ to keep the channel locked, if it drifts below that it starts dropping out. I found the 921 OTA to be better than the 942, but the 921 sucked in general. I had to AMP the antenna to get OTA to be usable.

Make sure your antenna is on the roof - not in the attic. I was having all sorts of problems before I moved it. Wife did not like the idea of another antenna on the roof but it cleaned up my signal 100% :)

The 811's even locked in better....

G.

For my deep-fringe/no multipath antennas, I noticed no appreciable performance differences between the two 811 and 942. I hear the 942 is a more sensitive tuner, but I didn't noticed a difference in my environment.

I've had pretty good luck with both the 811 and 942, but I live less than 30 miles from the transmitters. It seems the 942 locks a little better than the 811 did.

Not sure if this is possible, but it seems that my 942 actually trained itself on the OTA reception. For the first two weeks I was getting between 75-90 signal on my NBC affiliate and the channels were unwatchable. After week two, same signal strength but rock solid tuning.

Just my 2 cents.

voom evangelist said:
Not sure if this is possible, but it seems that my 942 actually trained itself on the OTA reception. ...

I live in Maryland. My OTA Digital reception has dramatically improved for the previously weak or "missing" stations. Of course, it's Fall and the leaves are falling off the trees across the street - providing my Chimney mounted antenna a clearer view of the transmitters. Or maybe my wife's 942 is also getting smarter. :D

Okay, my 942 is installed and I just ran the scan for local digital channels. I found it to be a bit more sensitive than the 811, it found all 9 of my local channels easily on the first pass. I'm using an amplified Silver Sensor indoor antenna and I'm 10 miles from the towers, sitting directly behind a small hill.

Right now I'm watching a channel with a signal strength of just 68 (if I change my antenna's direction a bit it goes to 82, but I lose two of the other channels). I've watched it for 5 minutes and there has been no pixelation or freezes. The 811 wasn't quite this stable with signals in the 60s.

Oh, and I should add that it locks on faster too.

So I'm pleased with the 942's OTA reception. Better than expected.

Tom Bombadil said:
Okay, my 942 is installed and I just ran the scan for local digital channels. I found it to be a bit more sensitive than the 811, it found all 9 of my local channels easily on the first pass. I'm using an amplified Silver Sensor indoor antenna and I'm 10 miles from the towers, sitting directly behind a small hill.

Right now I'm watching a channel with a signal strength of just 68 (if I change my antenna's direction a bit it goes to 82, but I lose two of the other channels). I've watched it for 5 minutes and there has been no pixelation or freezes. The 811 wasn't quite this stable with signals in the 60s.

Oh, and I should add that it locks on faster too.

So I'm pleased with the 942's OTA reception. Better than expected.

Do you notice any difference in picture quality on OTA channels between the 811 and 942? How about picture quality on sat HD between 811 and 942?

I've compared several SD receivers and have never seen a difference that I could confidently state was there. However in the brief time I was able to compare the 811 to the 942, the 942's E* HD channels looked a bit sharper, particularly on the component outputs. The 942's HDMI outputs looked a bit more washed out, but perhaps that is in my set.

I haven't had much chance to look at OTA HD material as yet (nothing was on here in HD this morning). And as my 811 is now gone, I can't do a direct side by side comparison, so it will have to be left to my perception, which is always a tricky thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts