942 refuses to record program that's already in DVR

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
Last night I was recording Stargate SG1 and a storm came through causing loss of signal. I ultimately stopped the recording knowing that SciFi Channel will replay the same episode later in the evening.

So when my signal came back (about 20 minutes later), I selected the future episode within the guide. The 942 allowed me to set-up the timer, but it showed a red 'x' on the guide indicating that the DVR event would be skipped. The 'daily schedule' confirmed that it would be skipped because the program 'exists in DVR'. While in actuallity, only part of the episode was in the DVR.

I even tried manually restoring the skipped event. It allowed me to select 'restore' (it wasn't grey-ed out), but the event remained crossed-out on the daily schedule and the red 'x' remained on the guide.

Ultimately, I had to delete the partial recording from the DVR, then I was allowed to restore the future recording.

Now, I understand what the 942 was thinking, but this is a problem. I often do this with shows that I absolutely do not want to miss. I'm prepared for the occasional storm. (I actually had the 721 set to record both shows, too, so my bases were covered.)

Before you ask, this was a simple DVR set-up set for 'once', not 'new'. This was not a Dish Pass.

Short of setting up a simple VCR-type timed recording, is there something else I should do to avoid this in the future?

BTW, I love this 942. This is the only problem I've had with it, and it's probably something I'm doing wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)