942 stretch modes different than 921?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK I got my 942 today and set it up. I must say it is a nice unit, although the lack of s-video is a little disspointing. I occasionally dubbed stuff to s-vhs. The main issue seems to be that the 942 strech modes are different than the 921. The 921 had 23 modes and one of them (I think 4x3 mode 2 or maybe it was the 16x9 mode) casued HD content to be true 16x9 filling the screen and then it strethed all the 4x3 SD cahnnles to fill my 16x9 screen. Now on the 942 only the 16x9 mode allows the HD stuff to fill the full screen, but the SD stuff is not stretched. On 4x3 Mode 2 I can get the 4x3 SD stuff to stretch, but the HD stuff lookes letterboxed. I woudl hate to keep switching modes all the time. What gives? As I have a CRT based 16x9 they strictly warn against the black bars on the sides for extended viewing and I woudl hate to watch 16x9 letterboxed. Any thoughts?

Never mind I figured it out

I never even realized the format button exisited and what ti did! DOH! What a jerk I am!

Some people dispute this but I leave my 942 in the 4 x 3 2 mode and it will keep my sd sat programming in stretch mode that fills the screen. I then can change the format on my hd ota channels and my sat hd channels. Some say it cuts off some of the resolution of the hd channels when this is done. I really don't notice any difference so I leave it that way , until they can come up with the software to fix this issue. It is a work around so you don't have to switch the format option in the menus. This works for me most of the time except when I want to watch something on Sci fi channel that is letterbox so it can fill the screen, I turn the option back to 16 x 9 to fill the screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)