942- Top 10 reasons not to buy till Summer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobj2004

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Over the weekend I was at cousins house who is one of the Linux programers for Project Cowboy (the DVR 942).

After asking some questions and getting to use the box my advise is to wait until summer to get one.

This is just an other Tell it like it is review (some reviews I think are too soft and dont list all the CONS).
Call it rumors if you want, but I think you should know that bad parts so you can make up your own mind on buying now.

THE CONS- This is why I think you should wait . . .

10. Caller ID bug, when someone calls and the list is full, the screen goes blank till you reboot.

9. TV2 Bug, for some reason on friday nights if you record, the 2 Star Gates, 1 battle star, and also Star Trek on UPN, Timers do not always fire do to an over load issue. All timers then lock up.

8. Sleep bug- seems that if you turn the unit off it does not aways wake back up, or it crashes, there is a fan problem with sleep, it should always be on. Heat sensor issue?

7. Beta Testers- there were only a couple of dozen, not enough.

This is due to work loads already being diverted for the new 942 replacement that is Mpeg 4 (Project code name: Media Center Plus ).
This means any customers buying it will be beta testers.
As you can see from above there are known bugs, they are NOT Telling you all of them, I could only find out some couple.

6. Dont pay full price. Only those that buy under the lease plan will get the upgrade protection option.

5. Dont pay full price, existing customers will for sure be able to lease by summer, the legals guys have a draft.

4. DP 34 switch issue, seems that if you have two of these switches the 942 locks up every week or so.

3. Wait till Summer when the Mpeg 4 upgrade plan will be announced. Trade ins on the lease plan sure will be nice and it will match Direct TVs plan if you buy into it. They wont announce it till then as there is not enough stock of 942s, EVERYONE will want one then. Well worth getting this new type of lease (called Lease Plus)

2. Good Trade in Discounts on the 921 this summer, dont need to say anything more do I?

1. And the number one reason to wait. Its just not ready yet.
Since they did a press release that says Q1 they can not back out due to Stock trading rules. They could do an other press release saying its late or mention it in the quarterly earnings reports, but that report is too late.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts