942 TV2 Output Poor Picture Quality

superd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Am I the only one experiencing a poor picture using coaxial TV2 output to a SD TV? Would it help to run a composite cable?

Yes, using composite will be a big improvement.

superd said:
Am I the only one experiencing a poor picture using coaxial TV2 output to a SD TV? Would it help to run a composite cable?

superd said:
Would a Composite Video into S-Video Converter be worth the money.
Probably not. The TV set itself might be able to do a better job in that.

superd, what kind of problems are you seeing with the PQ on TV2? Give us some specifics.

The picture just looks grainy compared to my previous set up. I had a 510 connected to a 27" Samsung SD via composite or component, can't remember. I moved the 510 to another tv, and replaced the 27" Sammy with a 24" flatscreen Sammy SD. When I connected the 942 TV2 via coaxial I noticed a somewhat grainy picture.

Better re-check all your lines and connectors. Have output to three other TV's and no problems. Great Picture. Do use two old A/B manual switches that sometimes give a grainy picture. Just flip them again and back to a great picture

Ok, I moved from channel 71 to 23 with no improvement. I checked my connections and found no problems. I connected the tv2 via composite instead of rg6 and saw significant improvement. I contacted Dish about running composite if I supplied wall plates/cable etc, and they said only for $100.00. It bothers me that I upgraded equipment only to lose picture quality. I recommend that future 942 customers purchase their own composite wall plates and cables for Dish to use in TV2 install if not using the RG6 that came with the house. That way you get better connections with no additional install cost.

BTW, would the people who are connected via RG6 who say they have a good picture get an even better picture via composite? For example, my wife never complained about the RG6 picture. I'm thinking I might be a little pickier about picture quality.

is there an 0ta channel near 23 where you live.. if so you could be getting cross over from that ota channel.... here in chitown.. on chn 60 is spanish.. when you set the reciver tv2 to chn 60 you get a bad picture thats from bleed over from spanish chn 60... when you set it from 60 to 21.. everything pops in crystal clear... 21 here is in the clear.. nothing within a couple of channels from it so bleed over is improbable

I'm not sure it there is a channel 23 in Northeast Atlanta. I just know when I was on channel 71 the quality was exactly the same as 23.

I checked with ConsumerReports regarding the Samsung DynaBlack series, and the 27" (mine is 24") rated fair using ant/cable input and good via s-video. So, I was thinking it might be a tv issue. I might return the Samsung for a Sony 24" Trinitron which scored #1.

I have both my composite and coax feed out to 2 different TV's for TV2 and there is definately a major quality difference between the 2. I use cable channel 73 to avoid any interferance. RF out is always inferior but I think its especilly bad on the 942. I also do coax out from a VCR that is resending a Tivo signal to the same TV and it looks great.

I am seeing the same difference you are SuperD.

With everything you've tried, I can't tell if you've tried different TVs using the coax output, and if so whether you've done it with a nice short cable - preferably trying more than one.

IF you have done this, and the problem keeps showing up, then you've got a bum modulator in the 942. RMA it or get an external one.

I think the points being made is that the picture is not unwatchable. Its just not as good as composite and its noticable. Its definatly better than analog cable but not the crisp digital picture one would expect from a fine unit like the 942.

IF you don't like the picture with coax you can use the new "Angel trax wireless cable tv system" from Bestbuy and it will use composite . They guarantee no audio/video problems and the picture will look as good as if you ran the rca jacks yourself. My mom and dad use one that I bought at Bestbuy for like $149.99. It was expensive but the picture is good and it doesn't even breakup when they use the microwave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)