942 versus HD-Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

opticalcarrier

Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
What are the benefits of the HD-Tivo versus the 942? I have to decide between Dishnetwork and Directv.

The HD TiVo (HR10-250) is a truly great piece of equipment, better than anything DISH has, for sure. Still D* HD service and channel content is so laughably bad that we dumped them after having been charter D* premier package and HD package subscribers since the inception of satellite TV. DISH has way better service, but inferior hardware. I am pleased to deal with it to get TNT HD and the added DISH content.

D* has become a joke, but could come back if they ever get their satellite stuff together. Right now D* is, as we say in this part of the country, all hat and no cattle. If the DISH commitment is livable, go with them and watch D* to see if their service ever matches their advertising. Right now it's an easy choice (UNLESS you are an NFL addict and will trade it all for the Sunday Ticket like my brother).

HR10-250 offers two Directv HD tuners and two OTA HD tuners the 942 offers 1 of each. TiVo works almost flawlessly DISH DVRs have software problems and they have been VERY VERY slow about debugging them.
Arrianspace was supposed to launch Space Way 2 in June due to a problem with the other satellite on the payload the launch was scrubbed. It is now rescheduled for Oct. 26th. For those impatient with Directv launching more HDTV you just need more patience if the satellite isn't available how do you uplink the channels? I am sure Directv will be making headlines compared to DISH as they get to use Space Way 1 & 2 capacity. It will be Dec.2005 to first quarter 2006.

boba said:
TiVo works almost flawlessly DISH DVRs have software problems and they have been VERY VERY slow about debugging them.

Have my 942 since May and never had a problem. It is very fast, provides perfect HD and SD picture.

boba said:
I am sure Directv will be making headlines compared to DISH as they get to use Space Way 1 & 2 capacity. It will be Dec.2005 to first quarter 2006.

Average user still will get only 4-6 HD local channels despite all this buzz about 1500 HD channels. And for let say 70% of people who can get locals OTA it really doesn't even matter. But for those users who can't get OTA locals (terrain, can't install antenna, or just lazy people or any other reason) it is a big deal. And I think that those people will like D* HD plan. For me - I am not impressed with it, I have 29 digital OTA channels.
So for now I am with Dish, and like 942 very much.

The HR10-250 is more user friendly and flexible but the menus are exrcuciateingly slow!

The 942 is very stable (as E* receivers go) but isn't as powerful as the HR10. With the HR10 you may switch between tuners using the down arrow key (very cool during football season!). With the 942 you'd have to use the PIP feature and that only works with 1 OTA line and 1 sat line or 2 sat lines.

Programming wise D* has Universal HD and ESPN2-HD where E* has TNT-HD. PQ though tips in E*'s favor. Their really is no right or wrong just personal preference.

And all this will change when the 2 companies roll out MPEG4 anyway!

Minsk1 said:
Have my 942 since May and never had a problem. It is very fast, provides perfect HD and SD picture.

Average user still will get only 4-6 HD local channels despite all this buzz about 1500 HD channels. And for let say 70% of people who can get locals OTA it really doesn't even matter. But for those users who can't get OTA locals (terrain, can't install antenna, or just lazy people or any other reason) it is a big deal. And I think that those people will like D* HD plan. For me - I am not impressed with it, I have 29 digital OTA channels.
So for now I am with Dish, and like 942 very much.

Glad to hear you're not having any problems with the 942. Needless to say I was very worried when Dish said they were basing the 942 off of the ultra crappy 522. I had one of those horrid machines for a month and couldn't wait to get rid of it. 29 digital OTA channels?! Where do you live? I think I may need to move. ;)

If the 942 had a couple more tuners and Dish would get rid of all their stupid fees ($5 a month extra for every DVR, $5 a month if the DVR's not plugged into a phone, etc.) I *might* consider coming back to them in the future. This is only if Directv doesn't improve their sad HD package though. If Directv's HD package improves there's no contest as to who's the better provider imho. Of course there's also the fact that I paid $50 less to OWN my HD-Tivo than it would cost just for the privelage of LEASING a 942, plus when Directv rolls out the MPEG4 DVR's next year I get upgraded to one for free. E* would never do that.

Why decide? Just get them both!!! :D

I dont' have the 942 but only the 510 from dish and now I also got the HD TIVo and I really like it. I can only compare it to dish 510 but I presume that some of the functions that the 942 has are similar to the 510(???). What I have on the 510 that the HD TIvo is missing:
1. List of shows showing length of recording (with the tivo you have to go to each show to see that)
2. Time left for recording. the 510 tells me how much time is left.
3. to be able to press guide and keep on playing recorded shows. every time I press guide the HD tivo stops playing recorded show and goes to live TV (maybe there's a way to set it up to NOT do that?).

But these are again just small things. All in all, I like the HD tivo the best because with D* I qualified for DNS and I get all four LA HD US network. Where I live I can't get them and dish only offers CBS HD. If you can get the networks OTA then that may not be an issue for you. Also, with the voom channels dish now has more HD content than D* so that may be something else you want to consider.
finally, price: You can get an HD TIvo now for $200 after rebate (check http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=81180 ). With dish you'll have to pay around $700.00.

Good luck!

opticalcarrier said:
What are the benefits of the HD-Tivo versus the 942? I have to decide between Dishnetwork and Directv.

kbohip said:
Lol. Comparing a 510 to an HD-Tivo is like comparing a Civic to an LS430. The 510 doesn't even have NBR.

But you get to pay the $4.95 DVR fee like it did ;)

kbohip said:
29 digital OTA channels?! Where do you live? I think I may need to move. ;)

Look at the top-right corner for the answer.

kbohip said:
If the 942 had a couple more tuners and Dish would get rid of all their stupid fees ($5 a month extra for every DVR, $5 a month if the DVR's not plugged into a phone, etc.) I *might* consider coming back to them in the future. This is only if Directv doesn't improve their sad HD package though. If Directv's HD package improves there's no contest as to who's the better provider imho. Of course there's also the fact that I paid $50 less to OWN my HD-Tivo than it would cost just for the privelage of LEASING a 942, plus when Directv rolls out the MPEG4 DVR's next year I get upgraded to one for free. E* would never do that.

I wish 942 has one more OTA tuner too. But it can be used to watch two different programs on two TVs in dual mode. HD TIVO can't do that. When I said 29 I did not mean all of them are watchable, a lot of weather subchannels and other crappy channels.
My fees = $0.00. I have 942 connected to the phone line (I think it is worth $5 fee for me), also DVR fee = $0.0, because I have Everything Pack.
You probably paid for HD TIVO now less then I paid for my 942 to lease in May ($250). But back in May D* was not an option for me. HD TIVO was $700 and even regular HD D* receiver was $399 at that moment.
I think both companies will upgrade receivers free of charge. And the winner for me will be that provider which offers more HD. As of now it is Dish.

One gotta work with what he has. As I said in my post that's all I have (unless Santa Brings me a 942!! :D ). so, I just wanted to tell the guy some of the features that I wished the HD TIVO had which maybe the 942 does have. :cool:

kbohip said:
Lol. Comparing a 510 to an HD-Tivo is like comparing a Civic to an LS430. The 510 doesn't even have NBR.

Fgsilva said:
One gotta work with what he has. As I said in my post that's all I have (unless Santa Brings me a 942!! :D ). so, I just wanted to tell the guy some of the features that I wished the HD TIVO had which maybe the 942 does have. :cool:

942 has these features.

Fgsilva said:

That's the spirit! :D

1. List of shows showing length of recording (with the tivo you have to go to each show to see that)

Legnth doesn't matter as much as content, so this would only be a rough estimate anyway. A 3 hour chick flick would not take up as much space as a 3 hour sporting event (other than Golf!). :confused:

2. Time left for recording. the 510 tells me how much time is left.Same problem as above.

3. to be able to press guide and keep on playing recorded shows. every time I press guide the HD tivo stops playing recorded show and goes to live TV (maybe there's a way to set it up to NOT do that?).

This IS a pretty cool feature of Dish. It works with most menus too. :)

But these are again just small things. All in all, I like the HD tivo the best because with D* I qualified for DNS and I get all four LA HD US network. Where I live I can't get them and dish only offers CBS HD.

People keep forgetting about those when they compare the 2 companies. :eek:

Also, with the voom channels dish now has more HD content than D* so that may be something else you want to consider.

Lots of channels, yes, but how many upscaled Godzilla flicks can one person take? ;)

finally, price: You can get an HD TIvo now for $200 after rebate (check http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=81180 ). With dish you'll have to pay around $700.00.

With HDTV we're all high end users. Listing price last kind of enforces that idea. What's another $700 on the credit card bill anyway?! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

My $.02!

dturturro said:

Legnth doesn't matter as much as content, so this would only be a rough estimate anyway. A 3 hour chick flick would not take up as much space as a 3 hour sporting event (other than Golf!).
So, we're talking about the theory of relativity with regards to shows??? :D But I do like to see the lenght of recording for each of my shows anyway...

But these are again just small things. All in all, I like the HD tivo the best because with D* I qualified for DNS and I get all four LA HD US network. Where I live I can't get them and dish only offers CBS HD.

People keep forgetting about those when they compare the 2 companies.

Yep, most people take for granted their OTA HD network and forget about us poor folks in rural/mountain areas surrounded by freaking pine trees (where is that chain saw???) :mad:

Also, with the voom channels dish now has more HD content than D* so that may be something else you want to consider.

Lots of channels, yes, but how many upscaled Godzilla flicks can one person take?

Hee hee! I also thought those channels were a waste of bandwitch at first, but I have caught myself more and more often watching "the pink Panther" Mr. magoo and some old movies and wishing I had the 942 in addition to the HD TIVO! ;) brings me back good childhood memories!

With HDTV we're all high end users. Listing price last kind of enforces that idea. What's another $700 on the credit card bill anyway?!

Heck then why not just spend another $500 and get Evu 9200 to get East and west feeds of US network including PBS, and WB (only WGN)???? It would be heaven, i say, heaven!! :yes

Good luck!
dturturro said:

Fgsilva said:
Legnth doesn't matter as much as content, so this would only be a rough estimate anyway. A 3 hour chick flick would not take up as much space as a 3 hour sporting event (other than Golf!).
So, we're talking about the theory of relativity with regards to shows??? :D But I do like to see the lenght of recording for each of my shows anyway...

Just meant that the time does not necasarily translate to the space a show takes up on the HD. A show with minimal motion would take less space than a show of equal legnth, but lots of motion. Of course if all you care about is how long the show is then that's a different matter. Lots of Replay TV users complain that they don't know how much space is left on the HD. Due to the inconsitency from one show to another it doesn't really seem to matter.

Heck then why not just spend another $500 and get Evu 9200 to get East and west feeds of US network including PBS, and WB (only WGN)???? It would be heaven, i say, heaven!! :yes

Now I've gotta Google an EVU 9200!

Fgsilva said:

Can I get just the HD service from Dish? If yes-what would that cost? If no-what is least expensive package I would have to sign up for to get the HD? Is there a minimum length of time I must keep the service? Finally, would it be worth it? Gotta have more HD.

Off topic a little-is f'n cable the only way to get InHD?

You may have to call dish to get the answer to your first question.

with regards to InHD I think only cable has it. I have both dish and direct and I don't get them. I did have them when I had Comcast; but them (at that time at least) they didn't have HDnet and HDnet movies. I think though I like HD net and Hdnet movies better.

srjewettlaw said:
Fgsilva said:

Can I get just the HD service from Dish? If yes-what would that cost? If no-what is least expensive package I would have to sign up for to get the HD? Is there a minimum length of time I must keep the service? Finally, would it be worth it? Gotta have more HD.

Off topic a little-is f'n cable the only way to get InHD?

Can't BELIEVE nobody has mentioned that you can't upgrade the hard drive on the 942! You can put dual 500 gig hard drives in the HD-TiVo for up to 1000 hours of space!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)