A battery trick I never knew

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
My LG G3 is getting a little long in the tooth and I was experiencing battery issues. It got to the point where I didn't make it through a full day without having to plug it into the charger. Well I figured I should order a new battery but just as a precaution I started Googleing and stumbled onto the following website. The suggestion that caught my eye was "How to calibrate LG G3 battery without root access?". I figured hey, what have I got to lose so I followed the instructions exactly as outlined. Holy cow it works!! I mean it really works! As an example, I charged it last Tuesday evening then took it to a 4 day tractor show (in 90deg heat) where I used it hard, shot several videos, lots of photos, and exchanged numerous texts with images, all without recharging and as I sit here now (Sun morning) it still shows 28% 5 days after it's last charge. It's like it was the day I bought it.

LG G3 Battery Drain/Overheating Problems/Fixes

"Calibrate LG G3 Battery
The Android operating system has a feature called Battery Stats, which keeps track of battery capacity when it is full or empty. The problem is that it sometimes becomes corrupted and starts displaying data that isn’t real, which, for example, causes the phone to turn off before reaching 0 percent. Calibrating your LG G3’s battery means getting the Android OS to correct this information, so it is reflective of your actual battery levels once again. It’s important to understand that you can’t calibrate the battery: it is, after all, just a cell that stores and discharges. However, lithium-ion batteries do include a printed circuit board (PCB) that serves as a protection switch to stop them from exploding or deep discharging.

How to calibrate LG G3 battery without root access?
  1. Discharge your LG G3 thoroughly until it turns itself off.
  2. Turn it on again and let it turn off.
  3. Plug your phone into a charger and, without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen or LED indicator says 100 percent.
  4. Unplug your charger.
  5. Turn your phone on. The battery indicator will likely not say 100 percent, so plug it in (leave your phone on for this) and continue charging until it says 100 percent on-screen as well.
  6. Unplug your phone and restart it. If it does not say 100 percent, plug the charger back in until it says 100 percent on screen.
  7. Repeat this cycle until it says 100 percent (or as close as you think it is going to get) when you start it up without being plugged in.
  8. Now, let your battery discharge all the way down to 0 percent and let your phone turn off again.
  9. Fully charge the battery one more time without interruption and you should have reset the Android system’s battery percentage."

Thanks. Wonder if it is something that happens, and then works for other android phones.

From further research it seems it's code built into Android itself that gets recalibrated so it should work on any Android phone.

Reactions: Tampa8
That's an old trick, actually, that I had forgotten about, but back when I was on Dev teams on XDA_Developers for the HTC-EVO, that was something we used to tell people all the time. I think then though, it was the green "Charged" light - 10 times to get it to 100% and I wrote it into a comprehensive guide for the Evo

[GUIDE]HipKat’s Ultimate Guide To Everything Evo 4G.

That's an old trick, actually, that I had forgotten about, but back when I was on Dev teams on XDA_Developers for the HTC-EVO, that was something we used to tell people all the time. I think then though, it was the green "Charged" light - 10 times to get it to 100% and I wrote it into a comprehensive guide for the Evo

[GUIDE]HipKat’s Ultimate Guide To Everything Evo 4G.
The HTC-EVO was a generational best,
and even without lte,
It remained top hacker performer for several generations.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: DWS44
The HTC-EVO was a generational best,
and even without lte,
It remained top hacker performer for several generations.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!
It wasn't very long agothat I saw the development had finally tapered off completely, epic phone and the last one I owned that was not carrier locked and was still part of the open source policy that Android was originally in favor of. Some of the features on later versions of future Android releases came from Amateur development on the Evo, particularly Cyanmod and AOSP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts