A big one...second HD output options for 622

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
We're about a day or so away from finally getting another HDTV for the bedroom.

We thought of getting a second 622 but don't really want to because we want all our content on a single box.

I've looked at a few solutions but they depend on the 622 itself.

1. Can the 622 output over HDMI and component at the same time?
2. Can you "split" a component connection?

I much prefer component over HDMI on my 622 and Samsung 61" 1080p DLP but the bedroom is getting a bottom dollar Maxent or Vizio 42" 720p. Can I leave the component on the big TV and run HDMI to the bedroom, approx 23' by the time it goes down in the basement and back up.

How about splitting the component signal? I'd split it off before it went into my Yamaha AVR and run it into the bedroom.

What would be nice is if the 622 could encode ATSC and pump it out over coax.

I would take a 622 if they would link themselves up via ethernet and share content.

Anyone doing this or know of a good solution?

Thanks

It is possible to split the component signal. I'm doing it. The cheapest way I found is this:

http://www.inday.com/hdda2/hdda2.htm

The video component splitter works great.

Then you can either run an analog audio signal out of the composite jacks or use a toslink splitter. Monoprice is a good source for a cheap toslink splitter. I found splitting the audio with the cheap splitter to be a little frustrating. The splitter will either work great or not at all. I think the first one I tried was a defective. So you might want to buy a few of them just in case the first one is defective. Or if you can live with an analog sound source you might save frustration just going analogue on the sound.

Last edited:
Can the 622 output over HDMI and component at the same time?

Yes, and I actually am in the same situation as you. I run component to HDTV in the living room and HDMI to the HD projector in the basement (30' cable for $25). It works great, I packed 211 back to Dish, it is enough one 622 for us.

Running HDMI and Component should work fine, until the (almost) inevitable HDMI problem rears it's ugly head and leaves you with just component.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that has been completely corrected yet?

Running HDMI and Component should work fine, until the (almost) inevitable HDMI problem rears it's ugly head and leaves you with just component.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that has been completely corrected yet?

You are correct sir! In fact, it hasn't even been "partially" corrected yet... :(

"You are correct sir! "

Sometimes it sucks to be right.
Incidentally, my HDMI port quick about 3 months ago. I switched to component. Haven't checked the threads here on that subject in a while and was hoping the situation had improved.

Eric-

We just bought our second HDTV two days ago for our bedroom. I'm running component to the new HDTV and HDMI to the old. I just hope the HDMI doesn't go out on it! I may have to split the component if that happens!

And as a side note, I bought a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV (VX32L) and it is NICE! I don't know much about Maxent but I would highly recommend the Vizio. I had it side by side my Toshiba DLP and it looked WAY better. Obviously LCD is going to be more vivid than DLP, but you get the point. It is also a very nice looking display for a bedroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts