A bit lost

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rocinante2k

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Hi everyone, long time no speak.

I have spent a year away from my primary house while bulding up my own business so I have got very out of the loop regarding Dish options.

I would love if you guys could help me out and give me some advice because taking a quick look, quite alot has changed over the last 14-15 months. I have done quiet a lot of searching, and really dont know my best options.

I currently have :

Hardware
Dish 501 DVR
Dish 921 DVR
Dish 301 I think, just a basic reciever
1 Dish pointing at 110 & 119

Packages - Dish 180, HBO and the old HD Package

My goal is to expand on my HD line up, keep the HBO while trying to keep my bill roughly the same.

From what I am reading, I may need another dish and one of the new recievers, but thats where I need your guys input.

Oh yeah the 301 is the only reciever I am really married too because it works so well in my HTPC configuration.

Please help me with ideas.

Thank you all

Gary

You will not expand on your current HD lineup and keep your bill roughly the same.

If you dropped your Dish subscription while "away" you can no longer sub to the old HD package. Only the new "metallic" HD packs will be available. Figure on at least $30 more.

You will need to receive 129 or 61.5 for HD. If at all possible, insist on 61.5, as some (not all) people have problems with 129. If you go with 129, you can go with one dish, the 1000. If you go with 61.5, you will need a second dish, a 500, pointed there.

No DVR fee on the 501.

You sound like a customer for the HD Platinum package. It may be more cost effective than Gold (180 equivalent) and HBO. I believe you won't pay DVR fees with the Platinum. You really want to get a ViP622 and get rid of the 921. They have an upgrade deal for people who want to do that.

I actually didnt drop them, fortunately. Ihave heard you must have a phone connection for the new DVR's. is that true? We all use cell phones in our house now.

E* wants you to have the phone connection for all dual tuner receivers like the 622 or else they'll add another $5/mo. "additional receiver fee", so you have a decision to make there as well. (If you don't have a land line or VoIP now you'll probably not want to add that capability just to avoid the fee.) Having HDPlatinum will avoid the $5.99/mo. DVR fee(s)

I'd suggest you dump the 301 and use the 622's second tuner to replace it (that will also give you all the HD channels to that HTPC, in SD tho') and use the 622 as your primary HDTV's tuner/DVR. You could also feed the TV2 SD output into your whole-house cable system for extra TVs. How many separate programs do you need to watch/record at one time? Base your decision on that. The 622 can record 2 sat. and one OTA program at the same time. You might want to trade-in the 921 to save some money on your 622 upgrade and unload the 501 as well. I don't know what you're paying now, but the HDPlatinum with locals would run you about $110 per month plus tax with just the 622 with no phone line...

EDIT - Forgot to mention - "expanding HD" means not only adding the antenna navychop mentioned, but also getting one of the new MPEG-4 capable receivers like the 211, 222 (pending), 422, 622...

Last edited:
Yes indeed, so much has changed. I think we are paying around 140 right now. I knew I would get the best advice in here. Thanks for your input so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts