A&E HD To Launch Wednesday

My bet is that any new hd channels launched in the next year or two will be just like A&E channels. So when Directv says they will have contracts with the new hd versions of channels like SCI- FI and others it will be just like the A&E channel with very little hd content.

Sad, but likely true.

BTW...Scott and others used to mention that A&E used stretch-o-vision back before it showed up on E*...did they actually change that for E* or was the timing just a coincidence? It is nice that dropped that practice...now if TNT would do the same!

When I first heard this channel was coming I googled it and found a forum for a Canadian cable service that talked about it. They were all ticked off about the stretch-o-vision and sent a bunch of emails. Also, it sounds like the A&E bug was a lot bigger when they first started. One guy said it was 9" across on his 60" tv. So it sounds like with a lot of emails, A&E changed both of those within a few months of their launch.

That's because it wasn't filmed in HD. SD content on an HD channel is like putting lipstick on a pig.

That is not entirely true, many HD broadcasts of SD material look better than their SD counterparts, in fact many provide a quite noticable difference due to the compression used by Dish on the SD channels.

1 reason why Csi Miami on A&E HD is a good thing...edit added 2 more...

Attachments

• Csi Miami.JPG
    Csi Miami.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Csi Miami 2.JPG
    Csi Miami 2.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Csi Miami 3.JPG
    Csi Miami 3.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
As a CSI junkie, I'm thrilled with this HD addition. Now I just want SpikeTV in HD for original CSI reruns, and USA in HD for the Law& Order CI and SVU reruns...

After 25 pages, I can only say that I do not watch A&E HD. I was hoping that the earlier episodes of the Sopranos was going to be HD but it was not. This channel has set a standard for a new low. I emailed A&E HD and asked them which programs are currently HD and which ones they will hope to launch in the future in HD, I've got no response, of course. They are probably embarrased to even come out and say something about their HD programming which right now has to be at 0.0001 % per month.

^^ Trust me, you don't want to watch the fake Sopranos on A&E. Sometimes shows can be edited for syndication and still come out basically all right (South Park), but other times it's a complete mess and you're not even watching the same show. The Sopranos is in the latter category.

After 25 pages, I can only say that I do not watch A&E HD. I was hoping that the earlier episodes of the Sopranos was going to be HD but it was not. This channel has set a standard for a new low. I emailed A&E HD and asked them which programs are currently HD and which ones they will hope to launch in the future in HD, I've got no response, of course. They are probably embarrased to even come out and say something about their HD programming which right now has to be at 0.0001 % per month.

Amen I agree i mean come on we all know the Sopranos were in HD at the very least!

That is not entirely true, many HD broadcasts of SD material look better than their SD counterparts, in fact many provide a quite noticable difference due to the compression used by Dish on the SD channels.

Agrees I have gone back and forth between several shows on the SD and HD channels and the presentation on the HD channe is noticeably better. having said that it is not HD.

Not the first season. The episodes I have seen discussed were from the begiining. Do we know if later episodes will be in HD o SD?

The first season wasn't originally in HD, however it was remastered and all subsequent showings of the first season have been in HD on HBO. So the HD masters do exist, if A&E wants to use them.

I believe that they said on the tech chat last night that the channel would start showing more hd in April.

It would be nice if they actually showed HD on their HD channel.

This is kinda like me having a burger joint named "Tom's Burgers."

Then I change the sign to "Tom's Burgers & Steaks" or even "Tom's Steakhouse" but all I sell is still just burgers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)