A few channels missing on one receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

durl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I searched but didn't find a post that matches my problem so forgive me if this has been addressed before.

After an upgrade to an HD-Tivo and a mover's connection install last December, I'm having problems on one receiver. (This is a 3-4 year old receiver that used to be the main one but is now in the master bedroom.) Several channels are showing "no signal". The signal strength meter typically shows nothing, but one or two of the missing channels will sometimes try to come in and the signal strength meter shows very little coming through.

The channels sometimes vary: usually 527 and 531 are out, now 503 is going out, 264 went out a few weeks ago.

The last time I hooked up an older receiver to test things, the channels were all there but my wife said that they were already working that day.

Last night, we lost ALL signal on all receivers for about 30 minutes. I unplugged/replugged the powered multiswitch after about 10 minutes which apparently didn't help.

So is this a bad multiswitch or a bad LNB? I'm at a loss since it's only a few channels on one receiver. As best I can tell, there are channels coming through on the same transponder as the "no signal" channels.

Sorry to ramble on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Which receiver is it? The old Hughes E86 and Toshiba DST-3000 HD boxes had this kind of problem. Sounds like it's time for a new box.

The one that's messing up is a Sony HD-200. It had worked perfectly up until we moved it from the living room to the bedroom. I just have trouble believing that it went bad when we moved it.

I'll try moving it to a different room and see what happens.

Try putting the Sony HD-200 back in the other room and see if it is getting the channels in question, IF so, then you know it's not the receiver.

Are there any barrels or splitters in the system, poor connections may cause this, after checking these I'd start with the LNB,

Did you say your other receiver IS getting all the channels ?

Jimbo

Jimbos: I don't have any splitters, just the powered multiswitch out by the dish. I'll check the connections tonight. I haven't checked them because I figured there would be more than just a few channels getting no signal if a connection were bad.

My other receivers do get all the channels.

I appreciate everyone's advice. This has me a bit frustrated.

Switch can go bad as well. 1st make sure the "bad" receiver isn't operating on some special or favorites channel list that excludes the missing channels. Then test the "bad" receiver in another room that seems to be perfect or connect it directly to the dish if you can. If it is still bad then its more than likely the receiver, if its good again when you move it then I would have the switch and the cable run to that "bad" room checked.

Last edited:
When you moved the receiver was it plugged in before or after you connected it to the dish? If it was plugged in before, you may have shorted out the LNB or maybe even the switch. Because the channels that you lose vary, I'm not 100% sure though. When it happened to me it was he same channels that were not available to me from only one lead off of the dish. I never had it happen while using a switch. So I coulldn't tell you what the symptoms would be for that.

rockaway1836 said:
When you moved the receiver was it plugged in before or after you connected it to the dish?

I can't say for sure. The installers did all the work.

I checked out the connections on the multiswitch and everything appeared to be fine. I'll try moving the receiver and testing in another room later tonight.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts