A few HR20 questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

technikal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Hi,

I'm considering moving to Directv with the HR20-700. I understand the issues around the stability of the DRV and will have to determine if I want to risk that, but I had a few other questions related to the move.

- I'm in Austin TX. We have some HD locals available on the sat. What dish will I need? How does it compare size-wise to the old 2lnb dish? Will I be able to utilize my current roof mount? How many lines will need to come into the house (I currently have 2).

-I've been able to pick up all of my locals with an indoor antenna now. Is there any benefit to getting them off the sat? Would I still get EPG guide data for the locals if I don't get the locals over the sat (I know Dish Network requires you to pay for the locals over the sat just to get EPG info for OTA). Can I record off both of the OTA tuners at the same time?

- How does SD content look? Should I expect any difference in PQ from what I use to get from my SD DirecTivo? (I plan to use component cables to a 32" LCD tv, if that matters.)

- Assuming I get locals over the sat, would I have to have the HD programming package to get those locals in HD?

- has anyone had luck getting this unit cheap/free as part of a DTV 'winback' program?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I'm considering moving to Directv with the HR20-700. I understand the issues around the stability of the DRV and will have to determine if I want to risk that, but I had a few other questions related to the move.

- I'm in Austin TX. We have some HD locals available on the sat. What dish will I need? How does it compare size-wise to the old 2lnb dish? Will I be able to utilize my current roof mount? How many lines will need to come into the house (I currently have 2).

-I've been able to pick up all of my locals with an indoor antenna now. Is there any benefit to getting them off the sat? Would I still get EPG guide data for the locals if I don't get the locals over the sat (I know Dish Network requires you to pay for the locals over the sat just to get EPG info for OTA). Can I record off both of the OTA tuners at the same time?

- How does SD content look? Should I expect any difference in PQ from what I use to get from my SD DirecTivo? (I plan to use component cables to a 32" LCD tv, if that matters.)

- Assuming I get locals over the sat, would I have to have the HD programming package to get those locals in HD?

- has anyone had luck getting this unit cheap/free as part of a DTV 'winback' program?

Thanks for your help!

I'm in Austin also so I'll try to answer:

#1 - D* has 7, 24 and 42 HD channels via satellite, missing the others. 36 will probably be a LONG time since they're owned by LIN Broadcasting that they're holding the channel hostage unless D* pays them money. You will need the new AT-9 or AU-9 (Slimline) dish which picks up the Ka band from 99 and 103 degrees, sorry don't have the dimensions but search around at some DBS dealers and you'll find it. It requires a 2in pole so your existing won't work. As for the cables, it has a built in 4 port switch but as long as you're using two non-DVR or one DVR box you'll only need two cables (DVR requires two plus one for the OTA antenna if you want that also).

#2 - OTA is the cleanest picture. The only benefit of using the sat feed is if you had reception problems or you wanted to cut down on disk usage for HD channels since the locals are in MPEG4 vs. MPEG2 for all the others and it uses less space. The EPG will show all the local channels via your OTA antenna don't need locals but I think starting 2/1 D* requires you take the locals if available in a DMA. Yes you can record from two tuners at the same time, 2 OTA, 2 DBS or 1 OTA and 1 DBS, while viewing a recorded show.

#3 - Should be no difference on SD channels from what you saw on a D* Tivo.

#4 - No, you don't need the HD package now. But again, starting 2/1 I think (or sometime soon) new pricing goes into effect, if you have a HD receiver on the account they add the HD package. See some of the new pricing threads going around.

#5 - Can't answer. Got a free one for being a current A list customer with D* and prior HR10-250 owner.

Hope that helps.

Awesome - thanks for the info. One more question since you're in Austin. Has the OTA functionality worked well for you with all the local channels here? I saw a thread on the Dish Network portion of this site were some folks were having issues getting Fox in Austin.

Since they enabled the OTA on the HR20, or my H20, no problems getting any of the Austin ATSC channels. I'm about 8 miles past the Y towards Dripping Springs on 290. I have a Winguard amplified Square Shooter mounted in the attic.

I have had a couple problems with D* loosing 24 last weekend, took them until Wednesday to get it back, and this Friday night 7 went away via the MPEG4 DBS feed, but since OTA is working not really a problem for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts