A few installation questions

MTNHERMIT

Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Have had installation scheduled for 3 weeks---darn snow! Am converting from c-band so I can watch NASCAR this season, ESPN is gone forever from c-band, I don't have Fox or ABC, too old to install k-band, tired of satellite switching etc.

Cannot talk to installer prior on these points--

What is maximum coax length from dish to tv??
Current c-band antenna is 325 ft coax run

If this will not work, will need pole mount, cannot do mount on home as I am surrounded with 60+ ft spruce in any southern location. The installer I have picked did install a pole mount Wildblue and was able to do a succesful install, shooting between trees with no problem.

Cannot pole mount anything at this time--2 ft of snow, frozen ground, etc.

Question 2

Can I mount on a tree temporarily till May??
I have a neighbor who self installed his dish on an aspen tree 2 years ago with no problems.

Thanks

I sink poles in the winter every year, too bad you are too far for me to go. I did mount a dish to and old tree when a tornado can through here a few years ago, it was only on there for a few weeks while the roof was being rebuilt. Just mount it as low as possible so the wind will not rock the dish too much

if you have 2 ft of snow, the ground probably isn't froze that deep. I'm told 150 ft is the limit is the limit on cable length. I've gone further. He shouldnt use the C-band wire, the distance can cause problems sometimes, but I know alot of people who do.

Have had installation scheduled for 3 weeks---darn snow! Am converting from c-band so I can watch NASCAR this season, ESPN is gone forever from c-band, I don't have Fox or ABC, too old to install k-band, tired of satellite switching etc.

Cannot talk to installer prior on these points--

What is maximum coax length from dish to tv??
Current c-band antenna is 325 ft coax run

If this will not work, will need pole mount, cannot do mount on home as I am surrounded with 60+ ft spruce in any southern location. The installer I have picked did install a pole mount Wildblue and was able to do a succesful install, shooting between trees with no problem.

Cannot pole mount anything at this time--2 ft of snow, frozen ground, etc.

Question 2

Can I mount on a tree temporarily till May??
I have a neighbor who self installed his dish on an aspen tree 2 years ago with no problems.

Thanks
Tree mounts are a no no..If you agree to fully absolve the tech for outages due to a tree swaying in the wind and sign off on the install to that effect he may put the thing on a tree. However you will also have to agree to pay for the permanent mount upon the second visit..325 feet?...Not a good idea.. Especially since it is inadvisable to use the existing C-Band cable. There is an amplifier on the market that supposedly can take care of the distance issue but I have to date not seen one of them work sucessfully...I do not suppose trimming or cutting a tree is in the cards. I do not blame you for that..Wild blue uses a different orbital slot .It is obvious the line of sight was good for that service ...I get this question all the time..Why is this one ok but not Dish?......
I don't live in an area where frozen ground is an issue.I have often wondered how the folks up in the northern latitudes get their installs done in permafrost..I guess gasoline powered augers are the way to go.
My advise is skip the tree mount..Your buddy just got lucky.

DISH Network Equipment:

Legacy - 100' (But I don't think there'll be any new legacy installs:D)
Legacy Receiver on DishPro or DishPro Plus - 150'
DishPro and DishPro Plus - 200' (Receivers, Switches, LNBF's)

Distances are measured from furthest LNBF to furthest receiver.

Then I guess with the UHF PRO remote, you can put the receiver on the back side of the house and feed your signal via coax/home distribution system.

Thanks for the replies, installer supposed to be here on Friday, will kiss off the c-band mount idea, now up to him to find a slot over/between trees, and see how ambitious he may be on digging a hole for pole mount.
More snow forecast for this weekend!

Use your C band mast 3" to 31/2" diameter. Bend 5/16" threaded rod around the mast, large muffler clamp, drill out the 4 screw holes in the dish mount to 3/8". Clamp it down and use your C band coax.

Re-opening this thread, installed today, ON A TREE, just cut the top 40 feet off, leaving a 7 foot stump, installer said that he had no problem with that, also would have been willing to use my c-band mast and 325 ft coax run. He said that it would be no problem, had done even longer runs. Reception is great, did not get any perks advertised for new customers, free install,3 mo of movie channel, free DVR etc. will contact DISH to see what gives!
Will dig a hole, put in post, and bury coax about May 1--if snow melts!

Sounds like he didn't really care. I have put dish on trees for a temp solution in a pinch, but was always back out within a week to do it right. Anyway glad you are happy. I don't like the tree idea, but given the two I would have went that route and long as it was a big diameter tree and closer to house.

The tree stump should be no problem until other trees leaf out or the stump starts to rot. You will probably get several years of usage before crowns close in the gap.

Re-opening this thread, installed today, ON A TREE, just cut the top 40 feet off, leaving a 7 foot stump, installer said that he had no problem with that, also would have been willing to use my c-band mast and 325 ft coax run. He said that it would be no problem, had done even longer runs. Reception is great, did not get any perks advertised for new customers, free install,3 mo of movie channel, free DVR etc. will contact DISH to see what gives!
Will dig a hole, put in post, and bury coax about May 1--if snow melts!
This looks ok to me ..My main reason for not doing tree mounts is A) it's silly because trees sway and that can produce signal loss.. B) it's a violation of Dish Network install specs..I am not going to take the risk of having a QAS trainer going behind me and seeing that..I will not only lose the pay for the job there is also a chargeback from my employer..
It's just not worth the BS ...
Now the stump deal..That's fine..If an inspector fails that install it's because he's an a$$hole..
Don't know about the 325 foot run of old coax though..I would have replaced it all. But there would have been a surcharge for that much cable..Can't do that for free..I would lose money on the install.
There is an amplifier available now that can allow long runs..
If you are a new customer to Dish then you'd have gotten the new cusomer perks..If you are a "former" and have been out of dish network service for a year(I think) you's have also been eligible...Better call them and find out....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts