A few n00b DVR questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Hi guys..

I'm having a bit of a time adjusting to the DVR operation of my VIP211k with EHD.

It works but there's a few things that I haven't figured out yet or simply annoy me.

1. There is no indicator to show if you are recording or not. :(

For instance, on my Home theater PC, when you are recording a red dot blinks on screen all the time. There is no mistake at all about the recording status.

Is there a setting somewhere where I can turn on some sort of similar indicator?

2. When you pause ANYTHING, be it live OTA, live satellite or recordings that you are playing back, it leaves a great big, ugly status bar on the screen that does NOT go away.

Is there an option I can change so that it will fade, go away or otherwise leave the screen after X number of seconds?
I often will press pause to read things on screen and this ugly status bar obscures a large portion of the screen. My main thing is to pause during the 7 day weather forecast so I can look it over and digest it.
They only show it for a few seconds so I always pause it, look it over and plan the next few days.. Now it's pretty hard to do that on the DN tuner.

And lastly, is there any way to boost the audio output level? I bought an iLive brand "speaker bar" which is totally LAME. I wish I had bought something different, this thing is not so great. :(
Anyway, when my Home theater is playing sound through it it's loud enough to hear it outside if I run it all the way up.
But the DN tuner is really low. I've gone into the menus, into setup and tried all the different settings like equalization, PCM vs Dolby (I have no idea what PCM is, I have seen Dolby on movies for decades, still don't know what it's about) and all the other settings and combinations of them to get more volume out of the DN tuner. Is there something I'm missing? Another setting or maybe a hidden menu?
My iPhone is jailbroken and I installed a tweak to boost the volume of the speaker phones. I did something similar on my HP Touchpad. I kinda doubt you can do that to these things but maybe there's an adjustment inside the cover? Or is there something you can plug in the line between the tuner and the amplifier to boost the signal? I spent $100 on the speaker bar (a poor choice I must add) and I don't want to spend any more if I can help it.
I had no choice because of the fact I'm using a PC screen and not a normal TV as my primary viewing screen. The PC screen is not remote controllable so I had to put the speaker bar which is IR remote controllable on the screen which is HDMI. It does work, the picture is really, really good but the volume level is a huge disappointment.. :(

Oh, and one last thing, I see an option to 'protect' recordings. I assume it's only after the fact? Can you set the timers so that it automatically sets things to protected status by itself?
I've found the timer/DVR menus and messages to be extremely confusing and I've deleted recordings when I thought I was deleting the timers that recorded them.

Thanks! :)

I can answer the first two questions and the last one:

There is a red "REC" indicator which shows within the top banner when you are recording.

If you press the SKIP FWD or SKIP BACK button while paused, the status bar disappears.

(Sorry I don't know anything about sound bars, but I want one eventually, so I will keep an eye on this thread.)

And yes, you can protect recordings when you set them up by choosing 'Options' in the Create Timer screen, then checking 'Protect Event' in the Timer Options screen.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dee...Did you get that soundbar from Wallyworld? The one I saw on their site "Ilive" was for an I-pod or I-phone...It may not be the one you bought or not.
If it is, most likely doesn't put out much power. I understand you got it for the remote control mainly. Take it back to wallyworld and get a refund.
I just recently upgraded to an 211k with EHD, after my 311 died. The 211k is nice, but a little hard to get use to. Use the help menus, that's what helped me sort things out it. There is a menu in there, that lets you switch the output. One is called "RF", but not sure what the other one is. Try it either way.

DB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)