A few of Hopper Questions?

MikeMoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Ada, MI
Hi

I've got my Hopper and my new TV and everything is set up and running.
But there are a couple of things that I can't figure out.

The first is...

How do you create new folders?
I've spent an hour trying to find a place to make a new folder in the My Folders interface, but I just can't seem to find it.

The second question is...

Is there an Auto Tune option.
I always used this a lot, it kept me from forgetting that some program I wanted to watch was going to be on at a certain time.

Sometimes I'd set all my programs to start or record for the next 4 or 5 days all at once.
I can only find an option to record no tune option anyplace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last if anyone is interested, I've seen people asking about getting the sound from the sound system and the TV to sync.

I discovered some time ago that putting a converter between the TV and the Amplifier that converts the Optical output to Component going into the amp fixes this.

When I had the same problem with my new setup, I did it with this TV and Tuner and it worked again.

I get perfect sync with no echo.

This is the unit that I used...
Orei DA21 Optical SPDIF/Coaxial Digital to RCA L/R Analog Audio Converter

I'll probably be back with more questions when I get further into it.

Mike

Here are the steps to setup folders:

Using your remote, please press the DVR button, and then press the (Green Hot Key) button. Select “No Folders” on the screen.

Please press the up arrow key on your remote to get to the top row of colored buttons on the screen. Press the right arrow to select “Edit”, which is located to the right of the blue “Delete” button.

Select all of the recordings that you want to move to this new folder. A checkmark will appear on all programming that you select.

You will then need to name the folder, and then select “save” on the screen.

On your remote, please press the (Green Hot Key) button. Scroll down and select "Add to Folder".

For auto here are the steps:

When you are in the guide, go to a future show you are wanting to watch. Select record series, when the pop up appears at the very top it will say 'Type', it will show DVR, select that and you can change the option to Auto Tune.

Hi

Thanks for the help, I'd never have figured this out on my own.
It does seem that it would have been a good idea to just have Auto Tune as an option on the menu below Record This.

It would be nice to just have a Create New folder option in the My Folders window.

But I'm a PC nerd, so I tend to think along those lines.

I'm going to print this out, until I get used to it.

Thanks again.

Mike

It does seem that it would have been a good idea to just have Auto Tune as an option on the menu below Record This.
You're not new to Dish, are you ? That behavior was different - and easier to access - on previous receivers (722k, 622, etc). The Hopper method is not as user-friendly, that's for sure.

It would be nice to just have a Create New folder option in the My Folders window.
Maybe in the new UI that's coming out "soon".

Hi

No, I've had dish for many years, and I'm finding the new interface more controverted then on my previous tuners.
Having to go to Record and then another Window where you have to change record to auto tune seems a little weird.

Why not just have an Autotune button on the first click menu in the programs guide like they used to?
I use this pretty much as often as I use Record.

Mike

Why not just have an Autotune button on the first click menu in the programs guide like they used to?
My guess would be it's because it's actually hardly used by users so moving it to where they did only impacts a small number of customers.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

No, I've had dish for many years, and I'm finding the new interface more controverted then on my previous tuners.
Having to go to Record and then another Window where you have to change record to auto tune seems a little weird.
Mike
I completely agree with you. Very annoying to have to use that extra step, which actually is about three extra steps just to get Autotune instead of record.
There also is almost nothing intuitive about the menu system on the Hopper as compared to the old VIP series of receivers from Dish.

Being one that does not use Autotune to often, I honestly like the setup of the hoppers. I think it is a lot better than the 722 UI and setup. I hated the list view with a passion. I am getting more blind every day, so the colors used help me see, plus the pictures of the show help me recognize quicker what is being selected. That is on TV's ranging from 19" to 60". I am wondering, I have heard people make the same complaint opposite of what I am saying, are there different types of visual recognitions for people with poor or decaying vision? Am I in that lucky batch that is common?

Being one that does not use Autotune to often, I honestly like the setup of the hoppers. I think it is a lot better than the 722 UI and setup. I hated the list view with a passion. I am getting more blind every day, so the colors used help me see, plus the pictures of the show help me recognize quicker what is being selected. That is on TV's ranging from 19" to 60". I am wondering, I have heard people make the same complaint opposite of what I am saying, are there different types of visual recognitions for people with poor or decaying vision? Am I in that lucky batch that is common?
Just a note: My eyesight was going, due to cataracks so eventually had the lens in each eye replaced
with a plastic one. Eyesight almost perfect now and just passed the eye test with the DMV for my drivers
license. If this happens to be your problem, I highly recommend it.

I guess we will have to disagree about the list vs pictures menu system.

Hi

I'm 77, and my eyesight isn't that great anymore either.
I've already had the cataract surgery, but my vision is only good out of one eye.

I find the program descriptions with the white type on the grey backgrounds a real strain to read.
I'd much rather see it white on a solid blue color like the basic description at the top of the screen in the program window.

Mike

Have you ever tried reading an ebook with white on black - a recipe for eye strain.

Don't want white on black but something with more contrast, how about a nice medium or darker blue with white reversed type.
I've been a graphic designer for over 50 years, and I don't think I've ever put small reverse type in a grey background.

Mike

Hi

Thanks for the help, I'd never have figured this out on my own.

But I'm a PC nerd, so I tend to think along those lines.

I'm going to print this out, until I get used to it.

Thanks again.

Mike
Your suggestions are good ones and make sense. I was able to figure out both of what you were trying to do by trial and error (only took me about 5 minutes :)) years ago, but afterwards I thought about how UNintuituve it is to find those two features you were looking for, and it was the Folders took the most time to figure out--the hard way--how the Folders feature on the Hopper worked. It would be nice if Dish refined this when the new Hooper UI come on line later this summer. Along with the new UI, they redesigned the menus to, supposedly, make things easier and more intuitive.

Don't want white on black but something with more contrast, how about a nice medium or darker blue with white reversed type.
I've been a graphic designer for over 50 years, and I don't think I've ever put small reverse type in a grey background.

Mike

The most readable on a backlit screen is just like the Hopper guide - black on light grey. (Or black on white paper - just like books for centuries.)

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
What about some of the menus where you have to select from two or more choices, for example, resuming a DVR playback, and it asks "room A" or "room B"? They use a shade of blue for the listing and a different shade of blue for the highlighted choice.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The most readable on a backlit screen is just like the Hopper guide - black on light grey. (Or black on white paper - just like books for centuries.)

The problem is that its' white type on a grey background, and not that big from where I'm sitting. LOL
I'm just saying it could be easier to read.

Like I said I've been making things as easy to read as possible for for 50 years!
Now that I'm 77 I need all the help I can get.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)