A few questions for HD install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sacline

Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Richmond Va.
First off - thanks so much for all of the information you guys have posted. It is so nice to have a place to get answers from the experts!

I'll try to be brief...

- I live in central Va and currently have D* SD setup w/o locals but would like to go to HD
- I have serious LOS issues with 110 and 119, but can get 99, 101, 103. (I bought a clinometer to confirm)
- D* Installer won't install without all 5 sats (understandable, I guess)

I have called an independent installer to try to get HD. I am a bit nervous about the install so have a few questions to help me through this and make sure I am not wasting my and the installers time...

1) Given my location - my research on the forum tells me that I can get all SD and HD (no locals) with the 99, 101, 103 sats. Is this correct?

2) D* installer told me that the HR22 will not allow setup if all 5 sats are not found. I have seen nothing to back this up - can someone please confirm/deny this for me? No sense in proceeding if that is true.

3) Research here also tells me to use the SWM5 slimline dish. Is this the only dish that will work? I want to be prepared if another dish shows up. I will visit my local CC to buy the HR22. I have a good relationship with them and don't expect any issues if I need to do a return.

4) Assuming we can find the sats and get the DVR setup, What signal strength should I expect to see? My SD signal was in the high 70s - but will be moving the dish location for this install.

5) Any other advise? Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

1. Correct
2. Totally false. In fact, most of the dishes the installers put up now only see 99, 101 and 103. 110 and 119 are not necessary.
3. Most likely a SWM dish will show up but that's not the only dish that will work. I got installed about three months ago when SWM was completely not rolled out yet. I have a five LNB dish that runs four wires to a 4x8 switch. Works just as good as a SWM you just have to run two wires to each HR.
4. I would expect 90-100 on the SD 101 bird. 90's on the HD 99 and 103 birds.
5. Just be there during the whole install and oversee everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)