A few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lylli

Original poster
May 24, 2008
Pardon me if this is the wrong area to post this but:

I understand what fta is but how exactly would I set it up and what would I need. The forum postings don't seem to detail all the information I am looking for (I confess total noobishness here). A comprehensive guide would be quite nice or maybe there is one and I am just having difficulty locating it. Please point me in the right direction as I live in the middle of no where and get a whopping 2 very very (did I mention very?) fuzzy channels. I tend to err on the side of thrift and the idea of paying $60 per month minimum for tv is far from an expense I am not willing to pay.

Thanks in advance.

IT would fill a book !!! :)
Try looking over this installation page ( and links) from Sadoun, one of our sponsors, and just about the best support site there is. I'd recommend getting a 90cm motorized dish bundle, so be thinking about that as you read.
:)

must I buy their packages or can use my old directv satelites with a new receiver?

you would need at least a 30" dish (preferably 36") to get the FTA programming

ON the DIrecTV/Dish Network dishes are just a few free channels like NASA and Angel One.

If there are any old Primestar dishes around your neighborhood those work too :)

What you need is the simple part, what you're expecting is the hard part.
Give an idea of where you are located and what you would like to see, Networks / Live Sports / ReRuns of Old Shows. Most local channels are not available via FTA Satellite.

WARNING: This is a VERY addictive "Hobby". There is no going back, ask anyone here. :)
Also, be sure to include the Wife and Family, it is time well spent together.

Now with that out of the way:

There is no One-Fits-All setup. Most start with a 30 inch +, Fixed or Motorized, Ku Band, Standard Definition setup. Then add-on from there, Hi Def, C Band(8 or 10 foot dish) more, more, more.

The system I suggest to start is:
Biggest Ku Dish you can afford - 80cm - 90cm
Matching Motor
Invacom QPH031 LNB
"Blind Scan" reciever, Name Brand
Don't go cheap on Cable, Connectors, and Tools.
The options are endless.

See the sponsors at top of page, they can really help. If by chance they don't have what you are looking for, SatelliteGuys.com is the place to ask.

I actually don't watch much tv so I am not uber concerned about the number and types of channels but I do have tots and the are all very different in terms of tv taste. They don't get to watch tv much but they do enjoy the kids shows like you would find on nick or your Saturday morning cartoons and such. The only ones I do like are sci-fi and bbc (doubt I will be able to get those fta).

Can I just put the dish up where the old directv dish was and use their cables rather than go out and buy new ones (no point if they work fine eh) or do I need to set it up in a different location for some reason.

The components you mentioned all sound easyish to find but just what the fluffernutter is a LNB let alone a Invacom QPH031 LNB?

Thanks again!

They don't get to watch tv much but they do enjoy the kids shows like you would find on nick or your Saturday morning cartoons and such.
There is PBS from MOntana which has cartoons and some really good shows. Also since you mentioned "2 fuzzy channels" there is one satellite that has ABC, Fox, My Network, Univision, Telefutura along with Retro TV Network (RTN) that has older shows. They probably aren't from your market but they work when you need to fill in that network feed that you don't have. :)

The only ones I do like are sci-fi and bbc (doubt I will be able to get those fta).
BBC World is on C-Band (big dish...6 foot or larger) but BBC isn't available anywhere here in North America (Not Didh, Direct or FTA)

Can I just put the dish up where the old directv dish was and use their cables rather than go out and buy new ones (no point if they work fine eh) or do I need to set it up in a different location for some reason.
well that really depends on if you want to go with a fixed system or motorized. Fixed system sees one satellite. There are 35+ satellites up there on free to air. Some have no channels of interest to some (because they are of a foreign language), some have no channels available and some have a plethora of channels. A fixed system at say Galaxy 10 would get you the networks I posted above.
If you wanted a motorized system, then you could move the dish automatically to other satellites and see whats up there. If you have a good southern view, then yes you could probably just use the same cable as what is there.

The components you mentioned all sound easyish to find but just what the fluffernutter is a LNB let alone a Invacom QPH031 LNB?

Thanks again!

The LNB is the "eyeball" that collects the satellite signal. What Lak7 posted is a specific type of LNB.

If I choose to opt for a fixed satellite now can I throw on a motor later or would I need to buy a whole new set up? One last (well I hope last) question...should the components be purchased new or is there a good second hand source you know of?

Thanks again!

If I choose to opt for a fixed satellite now can I throw on a motor later or would I need to buy a whole new set up?
you can start with a fixed system and add a motor later. That's all you would need to do to "upgrade" is get a motor

One last (well I hope last) question...should the components be purchased new or is there a good second hand source you know of?

Thanks again!

we love questions so keep asking :)
you can go new or second hand. Like I say, if you know of anyone with a Primestar dish those make great fixed dishes (I have 2 of them). Ebay has receivers but be warned, some may not work or have bad software in them. I would suggest a new setup. Then if there are any issues with it you can speak with the company you got it from :)

One thing that's really fun to pick up is newsfeeds. These are "channels" that are originated from the news satellite trucks you see at special events, games, etc. They go live for awhile, then disappear when the event is over (they're not permanent). Certain satellites such as Horizons2, AMC5, Galaxy11, and Galaxy26 have plenty of these feeds on a daily basis. You'll need a receiver with a blind scan function to find them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts