A hopper for me? Maybe!

dlharm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 5, 2009
So. Central Nebraska
I'm looking at getting a hopper and maybe a joey and trying to verify info and get feedback from some of you that have a hopper system--I have 1 HD TV and a small SD TV in the kitchen. I will purchase my equipment as I have for quite a few years. I've been with Dish for 10 yrs. I have two RG6 cables into the house.
I currently have 1- VIP722 not a K model and it back feeds the tv in the kitchen. I know I'll be paying more fees for the hopper, I believe $19 instead of $7.
I don't know if I would use the sling, but would I be better served by purchasing a hopper with sling and not a hopper 2000? If I want the kitchen tv I need a joey, correct and I would need a solo node. The hoppers don't come with the OTA module from what I understand--need to purchase separately. Is there anything else I would need?
Does the install need to be done by a tech--I don't have an problem with it, if so, just wondering.
This is kinda long winded and searches on satguys could have probably served me, but I wanted present day real time info.
Thank You! for any assistance and suggestions.

Last edited:
Neither the Hopper or Joey have a coax output, but they do have composite. If your sd tv does not have inputs for them, you will need an rf adaptor.

I swapped a 612 for a Hopper and use an RF modulator to feed a 37" Toshiba 720P TV in my basement and the picture is excellent. I use the TV in stretch mode and it looks almost as good as an HD picture.

I think you will be happy, I got to be honest, the only thing keeping me with Satellite TV at the moment is The Hopper, it is THE best DVR out there.

I think you will be happy, I got to be honest, the only thing keeping me with Satellite TV at the moment is The Hopper, it is THE best DVR out there.

It's not the fact that you run one of the major satellite tv forums? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Aim for the hopper with sling, its faster, more responsive, has built in sling, wifi,etc.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Nope, I have been so busy lately I hardly have had time to watch TV. And what we do watch is mostly the locals. For cable channels I watch A&E, Science, Discovery and History Channel.

Ha - you sound about like me. The equipment really is what keeps me with Dish. That and DIRT.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Thanks for the replies and advice that have come so far.
It is appreciated.
Any suggestions on where to buy the hopper etc? I know I can on ebay--but.... Solid Signal has them on their website, never bought anything from them but have received info from them.

Last edited:
My wife,daughter,and grandson,is what keeps me with Dish.Well that and sports.I spend way more time on the internet than watching tv.

Can I use a HWS and two Joeys with the HWS on an HDTV and each Joey on an SDtv?

I guess my main question is will the Joeys work on standard def tvs?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Can I use a HWS and two Joeys with the HWS on an HDTV and each Joey on an SDtv?

I guess my main question is will the Joeys work on standard def tvs?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Yes they will.Keep in mind they only have composite out for SD.So,as mentioned earlier,if your sd tvs only have coax inputs,you would need some rf modulators.

Wow, my thoughts exactly, but coming from you that's a big statement as you're also one of the reasons I chose Dish over other services. That's why it's puzzling to me why Dish is not encouraging more to upgrade to HWS with free upgrades and a 2 year commitment. Pay to commit seems a little greedy to me, plus its these super dvrs that are keeping people like you and me with Dish.

Wanted to says Thanks! to all who posted and offered advise on the hopper. And thanks for suggesting dishdepot for my purchase. I purchased a HWS, joey, a solo node and a 2 way HF splitter as a package for $349.00 with free UPS Ground shipping-from dishdepot. Also, bought a OTA module for the hopper. I believe I received a good deal--they are running specials until 7/31.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)