A hurricane is coming, what about the dish?

This is something I don't understand. Florida and the cities in the south of the US are prone to hurricanes, yet everyone keeps making the houses of wood. Yes is cheaper but why not make the outside of concrete and use wood for the interior? I saw all the destruction and all I thought was "That wouldn't have happened if they were made of concrete".

I live in Puerto Rico and we get our share of hurricanes but most houses here are made of concrete, all we get is trees on roads, lost power for some days (or weeks) but never the destruction we see in Florida. Why is wood preferred? Not only is weaker, you have to deal with termites, and shorter life span.

I grew up in Miami in a wood house trucked in--not possible today with expressways to be crossed. Most houses were concrete block system (CBS) to avoid termites. Our house eventually had one drywood infestation and later the mud-tunnel type up the CBS foundation into the hardwood floors. Went thru a lot of hurricanes about 1950. A frame house will give a lot without cracking. Both will work--just board up well. The major damage is always to "mobile" homes. Oh, concrete slab floors have flooding problems. Remember average elevation (above mean high water) for Dade County is 10'. I don't remember taking in the TV antenna--of course, later it was in the attic.
-Ken