A little clarification on Platinum HD please!

tate12

Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Indiana
Hello, we had Classic Silver 200 and today I called and upgraded to HD.
On the Dish Network site where it shows HD programming options (guess I cant put a link as I dont have enough posts on this forum) it shows on the bottom you get Platinum HD with any HD package and shows NBA TV along with MGM HD and others. When I talked to the lady for the upgrade I asked about those channels and she said I would not get the NBA TV that its only in the everything package but when I asked about the MGM, HDNet Movies, Universal HD and the other channels on the bottom of the page there she said I would get those(but to me she didnt sound like she really knew).

So I'm just looking for a little clarification on how the Platinum HD works and what I should be getting. Thanks for any help!:up

Hello, we had Classic Silver 200 and today I called and upgraded to HD.
On the Dish Network site where it shows HD programming options (guess I cant put a link as I dont have enough posts on this forum) it shows on the bottom you get Platinum HD with any HD package and shows NBA TV along with MGM HD and others. When I talked to the lady for the upgrade I asked about those channels and she said I would not get the NBA TV that its only in the everything package but when I asked about the MGM, HDNet Movies, Universal HD and the other channels on the bottom of the page there she said I would get those(but to me she didnt sound like she really knew).

So I'm just looking for a little clarification on how the Platinum HD works and what I should be getting. Thanks for any help!:up

Tate,

As of August 1st all New too Dish HD Subscribers, including Previous SD subscribers, will get Dish Gold HD + Platinum channels for $10, instead of $10 for Gold HD and an additional $10 for Platinum.

NBA TV is only included in the Everything package or the Multi-sports package. With GOLD HD + Platinum HD, you only get the HD equivalent channel if you have the SD counterpart. So NBATV HD is in the HD package, but only if you have the appropriate SD package with NBA TV.

If you opt for the Multisports package for an additional $5.99 per month you will also get the BigTen Network in HD, The new NFL Redzone HD channel, NHL Network HD, and NBATV HD, as well as all the regional sports networks. Be aware you will not get the Major League games from the regional sports networks, although will get almost all College games, Football, Hockey, Lacrosse, as well as all Minor League sports games.

John

Last edited:
NBA TV is the most screwed up thing in the world.

To get NBA TV in STANDARD deginition, you need to subscribe to one of the following:
Multi-sport package
NBA League Pass
America's Everything Package

To Get NBA TV in HIGH DEF, you need to subscribe to:
Mult-port package AND (oops...not correct) a basic HD package (gold, silver, bronze) AND Platinum HD
or
America's Everything Package AND HD Gold AND HD Platinum
or
NBA Leage Pass AND any HD package (gold, silver, bronze).

Simple, huh?

Thanks for the responses guys. So I'll have Dish Gold HD + Platinum even though I have the classic Silver 200 and the site is just out of date and I will get all the HD channels it shows listed under the Classic Gold 250, like National Geographic Channel HD and Science Channel HD, is that correct?

What?

Tony, the last I knew, NBA-HD (like NHL-HD) comes with Platinum regardless of whether you had the SD version in your base package. In fact, I think you also get the SD version with Platinum.

I have Gold with HD+Platinum, and I have NBA and NHL without any sports packages.

John (and Tate), I don't know where you got the idea that all new HD subscribers get Gold. As far as I know, you get whatever is equivalent to your base package, plus Platinum. (Same as it ever was, except for free Platinum.)

NBA TV is only included in the Everything package or the Multi-sports package. With GOLD HD + Platinum HD, you only get the HD equivalent channel if you have the SD counterpart. So NBATV HD is in the HD package, but only if you have the appropriate SD package with NBA TV.

TNGTony said:
Mult-port package AND a basic HD package (gold, silver, bronze) AND Platinum HD
or
or

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't sound like it's correct. For starters, I can attest that the criteria above are demonstrably false, since I receive NBA TV HD despite the fact that I don't meet any of those three criteria. I'm sure others will report the same thing (as Jim S. just did).

NBATV HD was always a part of the (old) Platinum HD package, and you didn't need the multi-sport package to get it (at least not the HD version). And now it is a part of the new HD & Platinum set.

I believe that the confusion is that the SD version of NBA TV is only available in the packages mentioned in the previous posts...but the HD version is available to anyone with the HD & Platinum package.

Well see this is why I was confused in the first place, the lady I talked to even double checked on the NBA TV HD and said I would not get it its only in the everything package and I would not get the HD version if I didnt have the SD version, but said I would get the others that I asked about that it showed on the bottom of the page, but yet it had the NBA TV right there with the others. She also made a point that I would not get the NHL in HD even though I didnt ask about it. So I should get the HD channels listed under the Silver 200 and all the Platinum at the bottom of the page?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/turbohd/default.aspx

Sorry... part 1 of the HD situation... remove multi-sports pack from the first situation. The rest is correct, though, You couldn;t just get platinum. You had to have some HD pack first.

NBA TV is the most screwed up thing in the world.

To get NBA TV in STANDARD deginition, you need to subscribe to one of the following:
Multi-sport package
NBA League Pass
America's Everything Package

Mult-port package AND (oops...not correct) a basic HD package (gold, silver, bronze) AND Platinum HD
or
or

Simple, huh?

bzzzzzzz wrong I get NBA HD and SD as well as NHL HD and sd with at 250 +HD gold/platnum

bzzzzzzz wrong I get NBA HD and SD as well as NHL HD and sd with at 250 +HD gold/platnum

So do we. The only HD Channel we do not get the SD feed is Encore East, which is channel 340. That is the only one I can think of anyway (besides the HD only channels of course which do not have SD versions). I will not complain, though. I think it is awesome to have Encore HD with Gold HD! :)

So do we. The only HD Channel we do not get the SD feed is Encore East, which is channel 340. That is the only one I can think of anyway (besides the HD only channels of course which do not have SD versions). I will not complain, though. I think it is awesome to have Encore HD with Gold HD! :)
Encore west SD has long been included without the Starz premium package. Starz premium includes Encore east. Since they do not have ENCORE West up in HD, they apparently got permission to substitute Encore East HD. Might change in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)