A little help in New Mexico with OTA recording

Cognato

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2006
OK I need some help.

I have been having some problems with my 622.
I have tracked it down to recording certain programs OTA HD on Channel 13 in Albuquerque.

The symptoms:
If I watch Jeopardy! OTA HD 013-01 it seems to be fine. (signal strength 100)

If I watch Jeopardy! Delayed from the buffer it is fine.

If I record Jeopardy! It has a digital breakup about every 15 seconds (even though it looked fine while recoding)

If Jeopardy! Is recording and I am watching something on the other tuner it is fine if it is live but if I try and rewind what I am watching and watch it from the buffer it will keep jump back to live. I was noticing that some channels will jump more frequently and others. 110 Food HD would jump within 10 seconds and 118 AE HD will play for up to 5 or 6 minutes before jumping to live.

This has been happening for over a month and is repeatable.

So please someone in New Mexico try and record Channel 013-01 OTA HD between 6:00p and 6:30p Monday through Friday and see if it records without errors so I know if the problem is just with my 622 or something unique to channel 13 and their broadcast.

Last edited:
I have little problem on my 722/622/921 with CBS 16/13.1 at 49 miles. The signal strength is high (90s) for it and ABC 21/7.1 and CW 29/19.1 unlike weaker NBC 26/4.x (70s). My big problem is digital-only KNMD 9.x (60-65 on my antenna), the second PBS station. (I like NBR at 4:30 there vs. overnight on 5.2.) They are limited to a couple of 100 watts because the adjacent religious channels (11.0 and 10.x) have not relocated their towers, as I have heard it.
-Ken

Damm, It just happened again with Sunday Morning. I paused it for a few minutes and then it would not play it back with out jumping to live.

Rewound it, paused it so it would not jump and forced a recording and the recording worked without any breakup.

Regarding the problem with CH 13, I am thinking it has something to do with their HD storage system where there is some sort of data corruption. There could be data corruption in the digital stream that is being taken care of superficially with data correction but is somehow interfering with the 622’s DVR or tuner lock. This would explain why local and live network broadcasts do not show the problem but delayed Network or recorded syndicated shows do have the problem.

Before I talk to them I want to isolate the problem to either their end or something with my 622 OTA tuner or disk.

If someone knows of a local installer or dealer that has an OTA installation active I can have them test it.

But with the history of KRQE I doubt they will be interested in trying to look into a problem with a company they won’t do business with.

I had problems with near the end of accidentally recorded Grammys on 13.1 using my 921--the 722 was busy. The signal level on it is lower. Perhaps I added an extra splitter--I use a 4-way amp but need about an 8-way. I got some pixelization and some sound jumps. I've not noticed this much on 16/13.1 which I regularly record on the 722 for CSI (LV and Miami) and another or so. My assumption is marginal signal.

I have noticed 26/4.2 weather display having a problem with jump to live when I go back and try to zero in on a particular town. I suspect they have errors that confuse the receiver. Yet, when completely confused the 722 will not back up over that point, at least in recordings.

On PBS, the Pride and Prejudice was 4:3 and definitely not HD on either HD showing tonight. This is show #6 and 1-4 were HD, missed 5 and the Feb 2 or so was all pixels--was the weather that bad? Is this just KNME/KNMD or was this 2008-dated recording from much earlier with Gillian added.
-Ken

I am just having this problem with KRQE ch 13.1.
It started about 5 to 6 weeks ago now and is there every night. (M-F 6:00pm - 6:30pm)

It looks like a tuner failure. The problem is now on all OTA channels and I tried a different antenna, no change. Dish is looking into it but without any others seeing the problem I would think it is hardware failure.

Any tricks on moving my 50+ timers to a new box.

Just a follow-up.

Received a replacement 622 and OTA recordings work great, no jumping to live or breakup.

I would love to get KBIM in HD, but I'm too far from Roswell... we get a strong signal from KOCT but no picture... I've contacted engineering but it seems like it is never up...

Purportedly KBIM-DT will move their DT transmitter back to the tower east of Hagerman at sufficient power for similar coverage as KBIM analog.

Unfortunately, KOCT-DT might be abandoned by KOAT and switch to low power translators instead of one class A station at Farmington, Carlsbad and Silver City. I guess 6-8 translators is cheaper to run than three class A stations.

They have already abandoned KOFT in Farmington.

722 external hard drive recommendations?

722 problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)