A Little help please!!!

rvrman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Cincinnaati OH
Ok, here it goes.
June 6th had a tech come out and move my trusty vip622.
In it's place I got a 722k.
All worked perfect for about 5 days.
Then the "Partial Signal Loss" blue screen would pop up about every 5 min.
It didn't affect recording. We still got our shows on the dvr. Just the live picture.
Hit the guide button or channel button at any time & picture is back.

Called for service.
Tech came out and cut off every fitting on every cable.
Still happens. He swaps out the LNB and that seemed to stop it.

About 10 days later it starts again.
Tech comes out and replaces ALL the cables running from the LNB to the
ground blocks.
That didn't work.
So he replaced the 722k.
All is good again.

Yesterday it started again.

Signal strength is 50 +.
Multiple check switch have been done.
Multiple soft and hard resets have been done.
Doesn't change anything.

My 622 has zero problems.

I have to call again because about every 20 min. we get the blue screen.

Wife is not happy. You know what that means.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Hi, I am sorry that you are having this issue with the 722k. Can you please PM me your account information and I can see what the technician notated on the last service call? Thank you!

It almost sounds like a heat issue.. If you go to Menu then press 6 then 3 Then press counters.. Scroll down.. You'll see a high temp, an average temp and a low temp.. can you tell us what those numbers are???

It almost sounds like a heat issue.. If you go to Menu then press 6 then 3 Then press counters.. Scroll down.. You'll see a high temp, an average temp and a low temp.. can you tell us what those numbers are???

Good call. RVMAN, is the receiver in a well ventilated area? Can you swap locations of the receivers and see what happens?

I just went to a service call a few days ago that was very simaler. I tech had been out and swaped the rcvr then less that 48hrs later the problem returned. the rcvr was not putting out 19volts to power the LNBF. This means 1 of 3 things.
1.DOA rcvr
2.Overheating rcvr
3.Incorrect household electric issues, in my case it was a short to ground. It could also be caused by a "Hot" neutrul. All problems will allow the VIP722 to operate for a very short periord of time till the power starts to back feed throught the rcvr thus causing the rcvr to not have the right amount of power to send the reqd 19 volts to the rcvr.

People are adding exhaust fans on the left side of the 722. The fan for the hard drive is mounted just right of the hard drive and blows left. You could also consider using a small computer fan to blow air in to the vents on the right side. As posted above, you can check the high, low and average temps of the hrd drive.

Here's what I found

Maryb - I'll have to find my acct # & I will get that to you.
gokartergo - Heat is as follows.
High temp - 138 degrees
Avg. temp - 114
Low temp - 78
Tampa8 - I can't relocate. It is on an open shelf not in a cabinet. I could raise it to get more air underneath.

Well, I can tell you it's not a heat issue since the temps on my 722k are a little higher and it works just fine. It could be an electrical issue as bigbakdak was talking about.

Take the ground off of the dish outside and see if it quits ... temp solution if it does however.

Also, use one of those 2 to 3 prong plugs (usually gray) for the older sockets and put it on the receiver so that the ground prong isn't connected ... another temp test.

Get a long extension cord and plug the receiver into a different outlet that you are sure is not on the same circuit maybe where your 622 is.

Measure the voltage between any of the plug spade (flat) slots and the ground (round) hole. There should be only one combination that will show 110-123 Vac. If there is another one showing a small voltage that is a no-no.

Yep,, Not a heat issue.. Mine are higher then those numbers.. I would give this a try..

Get a long extension cord and plug the receiver into a different outlet that you are sure is not on the same circuit maybe where your 622 is.

This has been an issue since the latest 722 series software upgrade. Same symptoms here before I just replaced my 722 due to a hard drive failure. Never had the issue before 676 software.

My office received an order of bad ground blocks. We were rolling out to so many trouble calls and we finally started replacing the ground block and issues were all resolved.

Regardless, I strongly suggest investing in a very high quality UPS/line conditioner. APC makes some good ones.

Well, I can tell you it's not a heat issue since the temps on my 722k are a little higher and it works just fine. It could be an electrical issue as bigbakdak was talking about.
I would not rule out an overheating problem. Are you suggesting that your receiver High temp is higher than 138°?

Forget the Low and Average reading, the High temp is what is killing these receivers. There is a long thread here of 99 pages and I cannot recall anyone say that his receiver runs without any problems at higher temp than 138°. Just to make it clear, the HD is not the hottest device on this receiver, the HD has a temp sensor built in and Dish is simply using this sensor reading. My 722 shuts down @ 138°, I added an exhaust fan and never had any problems since.

The only problem with the High temp reading is that even if you lower the receiver temperature significantly, the High temp reading is not being updated. I posted several questions to Dish and no one can tell me how to reset this reading. Unplugging the receiver for an hour or so will reset the Low and Average reading but not the High reading.

I would not rule out an overheating problem. Are you suggesting that your receiver High temp is higher than 138°?

Forget the Low and Average reading, the High temp is what is killing these receivers. There is a long thread here of 99 pages and I cannot recall anyone say that his receiver runs without any problems at higher temp than 138°. Just to make it clear, the HD is not the hottest device on this receiver, the HD has a temp sensor built in and Dish is simply using this sensor reading. My 722 shuts down @ 138°, I added an exhaust fan and never had any problems since.

The only problem with the High temp reading is that even if you lower the receiver temperature significantly, the High temp reading is not being updated. I posted several questions to Dish and no one can tell me how to reset this reading. Unplugging the receiver for an hour or so will reset the Low and Average reading but not the High reading.

But he does state that it is out in the open..

The high temp is updated on a rolling basis. There is no way to reset it, but it does change.
What is "on a rolling basis"???
I am sucking a ton of hot air out of the receiver and the High temp reading hasn't changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)