A little help with dual mode

Godbody77

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Michigan
I have a vip 722k controling 2 tv's. Just bought a new plasma and I want to know can I swap the HD signal to the new plasma and send the SD signal to the old tv. Do i have to move the 722k to the room with the new plasma?

Thanks in advance guys

unless you are going to run a long HDMI cable I would say yes you need to move it to the room with the new HDTV

Now that may be easier said than done because you would need to make sure the cables from the dish are in that room too.

Yes I do have cables in that room from dish because there is a hdtv already hooked up. Thank you Iceberg, I will move the box to the other room. Hopefully its just as simple as that.

so I'm confused
currently you have a 722 in a room with a HDTV
the 2nd room you got a HDTV and want to put the TV1 on there instead?

Now make sure those cables in that 2nd room actually come from the dish and are not the TV2 cable that goes from the room where the 722 is right now because that wont work.

I'm actually running into the same situation. I have the exact same DVR....

I'm replacing a CRT TV (TV2) with an LED HDTV. I want to convert the LED TV into my TV1. The former TV1 will become TV2. I do have a cable coming straight from the dish into the TV2 room. Will I need to make any cables swaps on the outside of the house. Or, will I just be able to plug in the coax into the DVR in the TV2 room?

Hope this makes sense...

I called Dish about this and they want me to lease another HD box for TV2 to solve the problem... I guess that's an option but, I'm no mood to start paying an additional leasing fee for a 2nd receiver.

While you can move the receiver to another room to provide the HD signal to the newer TV, you still need to make adjustments to the way the signal is distributed through the home. This will be true regardless of who provides the system. There are longer cables for HDMI which are available, but you may experience signal loss, and the cost is very high for any quality cable. The standard for maximum HDMI cable length is 16 feet. The diplexer in the back of the receiver splits and backfeeds the signal through the rest of the home for TV2. This reduces the number of ingress points to your home. When you move the receiver, you will need another connection for the diplexer to connect to, so you can backfeed to the signal to the TV2 location. while you might attempt this yourself, it is better for a technician to visit your home to make sure the system is correctly set up and functioning, and this also provides a 60 day service warranty. You can set up your tech visit via our self-serve options at DISH Satellite TV Packages From $19.99. Ask About HD Free For Life. under the my account menu tab.

Lou Farris, MBA
Dish Network Internet Response Team
tuesday - Saturday 2:45PM - 11:15PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee Lou, I'm sure glad I didn't know about this "maximum HDMI length of 16 feet". I've got HDMI cables running signals just fine in lengths of 25', 35' and 40' and have been using them problem-free for as long as 3 years. BTW, the most expensive of these was less than $40 from monoprice.com --great prices, excellent service and FAST shipping. Just sayin'........

Merry Christmas!
Ed

The standard for maximum HDMI cable length is 16 feet.

That is an ultra, ultra conservative, play it safe guideline. Even hdmi.org states there is no hard and fast maximum. About only way that statement would have any merit would be for 28AWG cables. I am using a 75' 24AWG ($54 from Monoprice) from a 722 without amp...works perfectly.

Last edited:
That is an ultra, ultra conservative, play it safe guideline. Even hdmi.org states there is no hard and fast maximum. About only way that statement would have any merit would be for 28AWG cables. I am using a 75' 24AWG ($54 from Monoprice) from a 722 without amp...works perfectly.

Yeah KAB, mine are all 24AWG as well. I almost went with 22AWG on the 40' because I was concerned about possible signal loss. Glad I didn't if 75' is working for you without an amp, not to mention 24AWG is plenty heavy enough to work with.;) Monoprice rocks!

Ed

I tend to be more conservative, not knowing what everyone has out there. I know there are also people who experiment with many things here, so I start with the assumption of working from a "stock" situation first. There are also enough variations in installations that I will work from a baseline, first. From that I can the work on isolating the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to be more conservatinve, not knowing what everyone has out there. I know there are also people who experiment with many things here, so I start with the sassumption of working from a"stock" situation first. There are also enough variations in installations that I will work from a baseline, first. from that I can the work on isolating the issue.

Sorry Lou, but I don't think this is your thing.

I tend to be more conservative, not knowing what everyone has out there. I know there are also people who experiment with many things here, so I start with the assumption of working from a "stock" situation first. There are also enough variations in installations that I will work from a baseline, first. From that I can the work on isolating the issue.
Don't assume anything. Ask more first then calculate from the whole info. You are just green at this job and will learn more as you go along. Some things they won't know but you still need to ask. IOW don't jump to conclusions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)