A little info on transponders, please

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Okay, I've read many posts about TPs and how the signal can (possibly) be increased by picking the right one. So with this limited info I went to the signal section of my vip622 and noticed that changing the TP I was able to increase my signal. Only thing is (and this is where my lack of understanding really comes into play) I don't seem to be able to pick a TP for each sat location (110, 119, 129 and 61.5). So I figured I needed to find a TP that worked well across all locations and did find one. When I exited the screen and went back in, the TP was back to what it was before I changed it. What am I missing/doing wrong? How do I make the TP I pick stay? Also, is it only one TP for all locations? If not, how do I pick one for each and make it stick?

Thanks!

I'm off now to find the darn cricket that made its way into my closet and driving me crazy! I guess if I just ignore it, it will starve and stop the darn noise! :D

Transponder training

Here's how transponders work. Think of the transponders on a satellite as though they were individual antenas on earth. Different ones carry different signals, i.e., radio, tv, etc. Each satellite carries specific programming. Each satellite can have up to somewhere around 48 transponders. And each transponder on a satellite carries a few channels here and there. For instance, the 119 carries the majority of the programming (USA, TNT, Discovery, CNN, Etc.) the 110 carries premium channels, Pay Per View, and HD, the 129 carries HD also, as well as locals in some markets, and the 61.5 carries HD and international programming. So as you switch channels on your receiver, it then switches which satellite and transponder it tunes in to. The different signal strengths come thru because they are set to different powers on the satellite. The user has no control over what the transponders or signal strengths come in, except for tuning the dish. Your installer should have peaked the dish according to the main satellites home transponder, which is usually sat 119, transponder 19. That should read at the highest signal if the dish is aligned correctly. The 61.5 is probably installed as a second dish, and it's signal strength should read around 100% or better. No maintenance should be required on your part. Hope this helps!

And BTW...did you know that a cricket can live for 4 months without eating? I love the discovery channel. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. Well when I had D500 my signals on 110 and 119 were around 90 and 61.5 was around 100. Since upgrading to D1000 and DPP44, 110 is at 66, 119 is at 87, 129 is at 85 and 61.5 is at 88. I was a bit concerned when the installer used a signal meter with tone only. Just pointed dish til unit buzzed and he was done. Funny thing is....61.5 didn't get touched. Its only change was being connected to the DPP44 instead of DPP+ LNB. So I'm wondering if the switch has something to do with the loss, or if something in the software updates for the 942 and 622 has changed in the way it measures the signals. I have two 942s, one 622 and one 811 running of the switch.

I have been okay so far, but the rain hasn't started yet. I'm pretty sure if 110 is at 66 it will drop when it rains. :(

Funny thing is, I got the DPP44 for free when I got the 622. Didn't know they would provide one as my only use for 61.5 is CBS HD East and I live in L.A. Figured they would make me switch and dump the 61.5, so I purchased my own DPP44. I still have it as a spare. Not too bummed as I got it (new/sealed) off ebay for $50. I got lucky on that one.

Oh, forgot about the cricket info... I sure hope it can't live that long without food before it expires! Damn thing is driving me crazy! I am not known for trying normal tactics (why they don't let me talk in meetings at work). I first tossed my cat in the closet and closed the door and hoped it would find it and eat it. No such luck. All I got was a ticked off cat. I then tossed some firecrackers in, but only managed to make a loud noise and litter the closet with paper and the smell of firecrackers. I then sprayed Fabreze in every nook, but only managed to remove the smell of firecrackers. I would take everything out to locate it, but my closet is just like in the cartoons, minus the bowling ball. :))

a little off topic...

Tugboat -

One of those bug-bombs which you are supposed to leave in your house while you leave, should do the job.
However, a first step should be to simply shoot some bug spray into the closet and leave the door closed.

Yeah, a little off topic, but what if the cricket were to watch my dish programming? :))

Thought about the spray, but my cat likes to camp out in there now and then. Guess I could latch the door to keep it out til the spray isn't so toxic. I need a cricket whisperer to reason with it.

Sounds like the elevation on the dish 1000 is a little low. Bringing it up half a degree to a degree might do the trick. Looks like the tech sacrificied a little on the 110 to get a higher 129 signal. It should all balance out though. You should still have close to 100% on the 119, then mid 80s on the 110 and 70 or better on 129 if it's lined up right. Also, did the tech install a power inserter with the DPP 44? The receivers you have will power it just fine, but the switch comes with a power inserter that can sometimes help to boost signal a little as well as make the switch operate more responsively.

Guess I need to get a little creative. I think I'll setup my wireless internet cam and point it at the signal screen, take my wireless laptop to the roof and access the cam so I can see and hear the changes. I know the uhf remote works from up there, so I'll be able to manuver around the setup.

Yep, the installer did setup the power inserter on the line going to one of the 942s. He tried to attach it where the cable comes through the wall, but I made him move it to behind the rack closer to the 942. Was for no other reason than it's big and ugly and sure didn't want it just sitting on the floor in plain sight.

A quick question if you know the answer.... Now my understanding is that the HD PVRs (942, 622...) are really nothing more than a PC running Unix. If this is true, do the units have hardware MPEG decoding or software decoding? If it's software, why can't they rewrite the code for the 942 to handle MPEG4. If it's hardware decoding, I wonder if the 942s processor is powerful enough to do MPEG4 in software and still use the hardware decoding for MPEG2. It drives me crazy when I go from my 622 to the 942 and lose access to a number of channels (local HD, etc.).

Thanks!

Yeah, a little off topic, but what if the cricket were to watch my dish programming? :))

Thought about the spray, but my cat likes to camp out in there now and then. Guess I could latch the door to keep it out til the spray isn't so toxic. I need a cricket whisperer to reason with it.

that can be aranged, send me ur dpp44 u bought extra and i'll provide my services, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts