Strange Hopper 3 pixelization behavior, shows little kangaroo; any ideas?

Electrojim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Brea, CA
I've had the Hopper 3 for a few years now with hardly ever a problem. But something came up I haven't seen before and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

On TV network shows recorded off Dish, I'll get instances of horizontal strips of pixelization flashing every now and then... no big deal, though. I hit the back button and watch again, and subsequent playback always looks the same, as if the problem were either a sat reception issue or in the recording process. But it's not a sat issue, this happens on shows that I happen to be watching live, with no issues, and then go back to review and see the pixelization.

When I do a series of 30-second jump-aheads on these 'problem' recordings, it seems to take a few seconds before the video starts playing again, and (here's the clincher) there's a brief flash of a tiny red kangaroo logo just before the video starts to play, down near the bottom-right of the picture. I have never seen that logo before in the 3 years or so I've had the Hopper 3, it just has never happened until this pixelization started.

Any ideas?

If it's been just the last two weeks then it's software issues which a new software update was released yesterday that should fix dvr issues. If it's been happening longer than that then your receiver probably needs replaced.

The red kangaroo indicates the autohop feature with prime tone recordings. It seems this has started popping up for people since last update as well who have never even used prime time. Which there's a post someone made related to that.

The red kangaroo indicates the autohop feature with prime tone recordings. It seems this has started popping up for people since last update as well who have never even used prime time. Which there's a post someone made related to that.
I may be one of those who posted about that. Note that you must at least turn on PTAT before autohop is enabled. But autohop still works on OTA channels even if you don't subscribe to satellite locals. Without satellite locals, of course no satellite locals will record. That's a little counterintuitive, but I'm glad it works that way.

I may be one of those who posted about that. Note that you must at least turn on PTAT before autohop is enabled. But autohop still works on OTA channels even if you don't subscribe to satellite locals. Without satellite locals, of course no satellite locals will record. That's a little counterintuitive, but I'm glad it works that way.
Quick question: Does this mean that the DVR won't record an off-air (antenna) input if the channel one wants to record is not on his Dish plan lineup?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wonder if that goes for channels that are locally-originated; that is, if I ran my video camera into an HD RF modulator and tuned it in on an unused OTA channel, could I record it on the Dish DVR?
I believe the Dish OTA dongle can only tune ATSC channels.

Reactions: charlesrshell