rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Earl posted in DBSTalk.Com that a new Slimline dish will be coming that looks at only 99/101/103 for programming. Plan is when all HD is off 110/119 then they will use this new dish for installs that don't get locals or international programming from 110/119.

Personally, I think this is 1-2 years out, as they are still a while from moving the content off 110/119. It is likely that the LNB will be redesigned to handle the D12 satellite at 101, and then 110/119 would only be needed in markets with SD locals for SD only customers, or perhaps for internationals.

This would allow a slightly smaller dish for standard HD installs.

I predict mid-to-late 2009 for a general release, although we may see the dish in testing before that.

These are just my predicitions based on what I have read, nothing from Directv here.

Even if they speed up the transition by moving the older HD channels to the new D11 satellite and speed up swapping customers over to new equipment, there is still no need for the new dish until D12 is up in the sky and done testing.

DirecTV has shown, however, that they will start installing dishes as much as a year before thes sat is launched, i.e. the AT9 dish used before D10 was launced, even in makets without locals on the Spaceways.

Again, just an educated predicition :)

Personally, I think this is 1-2 years out, as they are still a while from moving the content off 110/119. It is likely that the LNB will be redesigned to handle the D12 satellite at 101, and then 110/119 would only be needed in markets with SD locals for SD only customers, or perhaps for internationals.

This would allow a slightly smaller dish for standard HD installs.

I predict mid-to-late 2009 for a general release, although we may see the dish in testing before that.

IMHO, when D11 goes active at that time they might decide to use the new bandwidth to also put the current MPEG2 HD channels on D11 so they could start going with the new dish sooner then later, especially if it ends up saving D* money with either the dish or install time.

IMHO, when D11 goes active at that time they might decide to use the new bandwidth to also put the current MPEG2 HD channels on D11 so they could start going with the new dish sooner then later, especially if it ends up saving D* money with either the dish or install time.

Seen any pictures yet, so we can get an idea of physical size ?

Jimbo

If they put D12, or any other ka sat at 101, all of the current Slimline and AT9 lnb's would have to be changed out. I suspect they would park D12 at 99 or 103 instead. JMHO, of course.

why would they need to be changed out the current lnb thats ka sees 99-103 . so it stands to reason that it would see 101 ka

The current lnb assembly isn't ka at 101, only 99 and 103.

Nope - it's one big LNB HOUSING. There is > 1 LNB inside.

Are you saying that the AT-9 and AU-9 dishes have LNB (one) that is capable of receiving KA and KU signals all on one ?

I've never tore into the LNB assembly, so I don't know.

Jimbo

There are three distinct lnbs in the housing, one ku for 101 and two kas, one each for 99 and 103. Here is a link to the information from dbstalk:5LNB Disassembled - DBSTalk.Com

Last edited:
I would expect that if the new satellite takes a ka slot "around" 101, in addition to the current 101, they could design a new lnb that does 99, 101, 103 with ka/ku on 101.

It would be very similiar to what Dish is doing with the Dish Plus - 119 and 118.75. Just add in the extra two sats at 99 and 103. Complex, yes, effective, absolutely.

Essentially, they could go with 6 lnb dish, same size as the au9, or could drop to just 4 lnb using 99/101/103 and go with a slightly smaller dish, or just use the same as they have now.

Either way, it is all in the LNB and where they put D12.

Remember - by then SWM will be ready too, hopefully it will all be rolled into one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)