A Note About The Ads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As you might know SatelliteGuys is supported by both the generosity of our Supporting Pub Members and via advertisements.

The advertisements shown here at SatelliteGuys are in two separate realms, we have our PROUD Gold Sponsors, which are advertisers that directly advertise here on SatelliteGuys. The Gold Sponsors are some of the best at what they do. Every day I get inquiries from companies looking to become Gold Sponsors. 99.7% of them are turned away as they don’t meet our standards, some have customer service issues, other have a bad website, others were just setup and appear to be fly by night.

We want good honest companies that offer good products with great customer support for our members. Sure we could make a mint if we accepted everyone who wanted to give us money to advertise here. But in turn we feel this would not be good for you our members. We truly want the best for you and thus select Gold Sponsors carefully. All users of SatelliteGuys see the ads from our Gold Sponsors as our thanks for supporting us.

The other type of advertiser we have here are what are called “Syndicated Ads” these ads are provided to us by a number of ad networks including Google Adsense, Burst Media, ADSDAQ and ADIFY Media.

While I would rather not want to run these ads, they are needed to help cover the expenses. These Syndicated Ads are pushed to us and are a lot of work. Daily I go through the ads being fed to us and block ads that I feel are not appropriate for SatelliteGuys and our members. On some days this filtering of ads can take 1 to 2 hours. (If you see an ad that is objectionable please take a screenshot of it for me and I will do my best to review it and remove it.)

Where we use to make $1 in syndicated advertising we now make 40 cents. And one of the issues is we keep growing. Growth is not a bad thing and its something I am very proud of but we need to pay for this growth and the downturn in the ad dollar has us making these changes.

I would rather not run these ads here but we need to in order to pay our bills and keep the site free for everyone.

As you might know the economy is having issues and this is affecting the amount of money paid by these syndicated ads. Because of this I have had to make some changes to our ads layout. This was something I did not want to do but had to in order to pay the bills here at the site. Normally for event weeks such as Team Summit we can get anywhere from 30 – 50 new supporting pub members. This year for Team Summit week only 12 people signed up or renewed their Pub Memberships. (Note we did receive one Generous donation from one kind member last week, thank you!)

I really don’t want to beg for people to become Pub Members, but do hope that if they have found a value to this site and the help and information we provide that they would consider becoming a supporting Pub Member. Pub Membership is only $20 a year and as part of your Pub Membership all the syndicated ads are removed. One benefit is not only do you not see the syndicated ads, but the pages here on Satellite load almost instantly since everything is coming off our own servers! The time saved in ad loading time itself is enough to pay for the benefit. But being a Pub Member means oh so much more.

For more details on becoming a Supporting Pub Member please visit http://www.satelliteguys.us/payments.php

SatelliteGuys is different then other Satellite sites, look at last week for example where we put 15 lucky SatelliteGuys members face to face with many Dish Network executives including an hour and a half meeting with Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen. Plus in the past we have done other big events such as CES, CEDIA, The Satellite Expo, and even the Satellite Pioneers Event.

Most everything we make here at SatelliteGuys goes back into SatelliteGuys. We buy servers, bandwidth and travel around the country to bring you to all the major events.

For me SatelliteGuys is not a job, it’s a hobby or more appropriately a labor of love. There are days when I work 12 – 15 hours on SatelliteGuys. As you have noticed when industry news breaks we normally break the news first of.

SatelliteGuys is something I am very proud of, and I would rather not have the syndicated ads, but unfortunately they are needed to keep the lights on.

Over the next few days I will continue to work on the syndicated ads and hopefully make them less intrusive. While doing this I also hope to fix a number of issues and get the site fully up to vBulletin 3.8.4 style standards.

Sorry for the long note, but I felt obligated to explain to you what’s going on and why.

I thank you all for your support and more importantly for making SatelliteGuys a regular stop on your daily Internet browsing routine.

I think there is a little bit more free space left to throw some more ads in... for cryin out loud as if they were not bad enough before... Perhaps instead of tortureing your loyal members with more ads why not look at ways to monetize on your traffic better then flooding the site with ads? Perhaps finding higher paying CPM advertisers? Perhaps looking for "section sponsors" or a number of other ways.. I have been to adult websites with less ads then this place. If not for FireFox and Ad-block this site would be unnavible to a dialup user.

I think there is a little bit more free space left to throw some more ads in... for cryin out loud as if they were not bad enough before... Perhaps instead of tortureing your loyal members with more ads why not look at ways to monetize on your traffic better then flooding the site with ads? Perhaps finding higher paying CPM advertisers? Perhaps looking for "section sponsors" or a number of other ways.. I have been to adult websites with less ads then this place. If not for FireFox and Ad-block this site would be unnavible to a dialup user.
Would you rather satguys just shut down? In this type of market, I would not be surprised if Scott was making a loss every month just paying the bills to keep the lights on. I doubt he's doing this to squeeze every penny out of this place and make as much money as he possibly can. A man's gotta eat as well....(not sure if this is Scott's main job but it sure sounds like it)

I am guessing you do not know how to read. Scott explained above why things are the way they are.

I respect him for being honest.

When I get paid Friday I will be joining the pub to say thanks for the great site.

Thanks Scott!

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes it is easy to forget how long it has been since the last time I tossed something into the pot.

Keep up the good work (and continue to ignore those who don't contribute and then complain about the ads)

Ok today I spent about 7 hours working on the ad layout and in the process made it much less cluttered, while keeping the same amount of ads.

I hope this optimization helps out. I will watch it for a few day and see if it helps or not.

I hate ads as much as you guys do, unfortunately they are needed if we are to keep the site open and free to everyone.

Thanks for everyones support!

I don't have a problem with ads on this site. However....
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the ads make pages load more slowly?

I don't have a problem with ads on this site. However....
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the ads make pages load more slowly?
They do make pages load more slowly, I pointed that out in the first post. But without the ads the site is not here. Pub members don't see any of the syndicated ads, and for them the pages load almost instantly since everything is coming off the same servers. :)

I'm still on dial-up, and it loads fine for me. How 'bout you get a bit more loyal, cough up 20 bucks, be a Pub Member, -and quit yer' bitchin! :mad: :rolleyes: (Sorry, Scott....I just had to):D

You could load up a bunch of ads on the main page and those members on here that are in the know can have the shortcut to satellite guys take them straight to the forums page. I have a link that takes me straight to new posts.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/search.php?do=getnew

copy and paste that and make it your bookmark if you want to go straight to new unread threads.

I'm still on dial-up, and it loads fine for me. How 'bout you get a bit more loyal, cough up 20 bucks, be a Pub Member, -and quit yer' bitchin! :mad: :rolleyes: (Sorry, Scott....I just had to):D

I am on dialup too and it loads just fine for me as long as I am not downloading something. It loads just as fast as a high speed internet connection because I use a web browser accelerator. I use Earthlink with its accelerator software. It helps TREMENDOUSLY. Without it I could not stand dialup and would have gotten satellite broadband a long time ago. Google Chrome also helps with the speed of page loading.

If you have a lot of interest and visit the site very often then it is well worth getting a pub membership. At $20 a year that is less than $2 per month. Does this site still have an option to get it for only 1 month, 3 months, etc? Maybe that would help generate more of an income as well.

Are there any other services that this site could provide in the future to generate income? How about raffles? Maybe have people donate used items on here and have an auction or sale.

Are there any other services that this site could provide in the future to generate income? How about raffles? Maybe have people donate used items on here and have an auction or sale.
Now that sounds like a good idea! I know I'd probably donate stuff AND buy!:)

Ok today I spent about 7 hours working on the ad layout and in the process made it much less cluttered, while keeping the same amount of ads.

I hope this optimization helps out. I will watch it for a few day and see if it helps or not.

I hate ads as much as you guys do, unfortunately they are needed if we are to keep the site open and free to everyone.

Thanks for everyones support!

Much Better.

Why do I see ads from "adsense" and "word from our sponsors"?? I don't remember these before. The only ones I used to see are the "gold sponsors" at the top. As in the first post it stated the supporters are not suppose to have ads except the "gold".

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 185

The problem with a paid raffle is that in some places they are considered gambling and as such are illegal and could create more problems than its worth. The store thing would not be that bad an idea hough if it had more than just the sat guys clothing and such.

Why do I see ads from "adsense" and "word from our sponsors"?? I don't remember these before. The only ones I used to see are the "gold sponsors" at the top. As in the first post it stated the supporters are not suppose to have ads except the "gold".
All set, wrong usergroups permissions set. :)

I now have thick ads on the left side of the screen which are very annoying. Several days before the ads were not there, but the forum area was stretched so much that you couldn't see the columns. The new image files showing up in the middle of the screen is also very annoying.

I guess from now on ONLY paid members will be able to enjoy this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts