A Note to FOX

If it went a la carte and Fox wanted $5/sub for OTA Fox, $5/sub for RSN and $X for FX & Nat Geo, I could see the number of subs drop drastically. I bet a lot will find an antenna for $5/month (especially since monkey see monkey do ABC/CBS/NBC would make it $20).

Most people don't think they'll pay that much. They take today's offerings, i.e. AT120 for $40/mo and do the math ... $.33 per channel or AT200 for $55/mo ... $.27 per channel.

The way it works today is any channel in AT120, for example, has millions of potential viewers. They negotiate their rates based on potential viewers too, not actual ones. If a la carte existed, the provider will tell the network "x customers subscribed to your channel this month" and pay them accordingly. Rest assured, channel's profits will change dramatically !

That's an average of $.27 per channel, including those you don't watch. Dish could make the same amount per subscriber as they do now - I think many of us would drop the crap for other channels and our bill would be the same each month, if not more, because of the channels we would be adding.

No matter how you look at it, it would be win/win for the carrier and its subscribers. The only losers would be channels like SOAPnet and other crap channels that would get less potential viewers [sucks to be SOAPnet].

Its completely unreasonable to pay that for FOX which is available off air for free. Its even more unreasonable when that $1 or so is for them to be forced on every Dish subscriber. Thats not a la carte pricing. I promise you that if we ever do get a la carte TV service the per channel pricing will go way way up.

I agree with not paying for the over-the-air networks... I don't know how they can force us to pay at all. Funny thing is, most do pay for locals. I have a HD antenna hooked up to my 612, so I don't pay.

Its funny that so many people would agree to pay more for A La Carte. Everyone feels that the networks have us by the short and curly's, but in reality, we have them by theirs. I guess I am a glass half full guy.

If it went a la carte and Fox wanted $5/sub for OTA Fox, $5/sub for RSN and $X for FX & Nat Geo, I could see the number of subs drop drastically. I bet a lot will find an antenna for $5/month (especially since monkey see monkey do ABC/CBS/NBC would make it $20).

You have the right idea. FOX would need to cater to you and, if you don't like what they are peddling, you walk. Right now, your only choice is to drop to a lower package or move to another carrier... until they get FOXED. Then maybe you move back to Disk until another carrier dispute happens.... its a vicious circle.

It would be great if Dish could NOT charge us for channels that we block on our receivers. I would block ALL of the FOX channels permanently, as I never watch them anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)