A Note to FOX

and what makes you think FSN will be on Google tv? or that the cable co will not cap it so it does not take away from there cable tv sales?

Cable has a right to cap their sales when a game is in their area. Other than that, I've seen FSN on the internet. What I do not recal is if there is a charge for it.

Logitech came out with their Google TV today with a list of $300. I see Dish has their offer for $179.

speaking of litigation, i'm wondering if fox's threat to pull the 'free' broadcast locals from dish is legal.
what about fair access. i mean, fox literally has the crappiest ota signal in just about every region. if you dont live in a city you cant pick it up.
people in 'the woods' require sattelite to get their 'free' broadcast local channel. so why doesnt the fcc step in on this threat to pull them?

i mean, fox literally has the crappiest ota signal in just about every region. if you dont live in a city you cant pick it up.
people in 'the woods' require sattelite to get their 'free' broadcast local channel. so why doesnt the fcc step in on this threat to pull them?
Have you checked reception of all FOX affiliates all over the country or are you making a huge generalization ? The FCC isn't going to dictate how powerful of a transmitter a TV station operates. Who's gonna pay the power (electric) bill ? It only hurts the TV station by not covering a larger area, i.e. viewers.

ive lived in many towns over several states. always had a problem picking up fox, which i absolutely hate, since they normally carry most sunday nfl. thats why i got sattelite tv in the first place and why i still need it. and no, i wont switch to cable, or direct. at any rate my question was on the legality of blocking a sat/cable carrier from carrying a 'free' ota broadcast network.

Any threat to pull all local Fox stations is hollow. It would depend upon the retransmission agreements dish has with the owners of the individual stations. When the agreements with Fox owned/operated stations runs out, Fox could pull them. When the agreements with other individual Fox affiliates run out, Fox could pressure the affiliates to join in a pull-out but it would be up to the individual operators to pull their station(s). That's why I'm still getting FSNW, Fox doesn't own them.

Of course, no matter what happens everybody involved gets hurt. Viewers will lose stations, Charlie will lose customers, Fox will lose ad revenue. We'll know it's really serious if Fox News is pulled before the elections are over.

And on a more serious subject, there's a way for us to help keep the lights on without worrying about ads, http://www.satelliteguys.us/payments.php

Any threat to pull all local Fox stations is hollow. It would depend upon the retransmission agreements dish has with the owners of the individual stations. When the agreements with Fox owned/operated stations runs out, Fox could pull them. When the agreements with other individual Fox affiliates run out, Fox could pressure the affiliates to join in a pull-out but it would be up to the individual operators to pull their station(s). That's why I'm still getting FSNW, Fox doesn't own them.

Of course, no matter what happens everybody involved gets hurt. Viewers will lose stations, Charlie will lose customers, Fox will lose ad revenue. We'll know it's really serious if Fox News is pulled before the elections are over.

And on a more serious subject, there's a way for us to help keep the lights on without worrying about ads, http://www.satelliteguys.us/payments.php

No FOX can't pull the affiliates. And I don't think they can even pressure them to pull their signal from DISH. Almost all of them are now owned by a handful of larger media corps (LIN, Sinclair etc) who each make their own contract with DISH which has to be honored until it expires. However, there are many major markets with FOX O&O's, I'll list them:

Atlanta: WAGA-TV (channel 5)
Austin, Texas: KTBC-TV (channel 7)
Boston: WFXT (channel 25)
Chicago: WFLD-TV (channel 32)
Dallas: KDFW-TV (channel 4)
Detroit: WJBK-TV (channel 2)
Houston: KRIV (channel 26)
Los Angeles: KTTV (channel 11)
Memphis: WHBQ-TV (channel 13)
Minneapolis: KMSP-TV (channel 9)
New York City: WNYW (channel 5)
Ocala, Florida: WOGX (channel 51)
Orlando: WOFL (channel 35)
Philadelphia: WTXF-TV (channel 29)
Phoenix: KSAZ-TV (channel 10)
Tampa: WTVT (channel 13)
Washington, D.C.: WTTG (channel 5)

I think thats most of the top 10 markets in the country. A very very large number of households together. If Charlie plays chicken with FOX after Nov 1 I think it will do irreparable damage to Dish Network.

No FOX can't pull the affiliates. And I don't think they can even pressure them to pull their signal from DISH. Almost all of them are now owned by a handful of larger media corps (LIN, Sinclair etc) who each make their own contract with DISH which has to be honored until it expires. However, there are many major markets with FOX O&O's, I'll list them:

Atlanta: WAGA-TV (channel 5)
Austin, Texas: KTBC-TV (channel 7)
Boston: WFXT (channel 25)
Chicago: WFLD-TV (channel 32)
Dallas: KDFW-TV (channel 4)
Detroit: WJBK-TV (channel 2)
Houston: KRIV (channel 26)
Los Angeles: KTTV (channel 11)
Memphis: WHBQ-TV (channel 13)
Minneapolis: KMSP-TV (channel 9)
New York City: WNYW (channel 5)
Ocala, Florida: WOGX (channel 51)
Orlando: WOFL (channel 35)
Philadelphia: WTXF-TV (channel 29)
Phoenix: KSAZ-TV (channel 10)
Tampa: WTVT (channel 13)
Washington, D.C.: WTTG (channel 5)

I think thats most of the top 10 markets in the country. A very very large number of households together. If Charlie plays chicken with FOX after Nov 1 I think it will do irreparable damage to Dish Network.
Rank Market
8 Atlanta: WAGA-TV (channel 5)
48 Austin, Texas: KTBC-TV (channel 7)
7 Boston: WFXT (channel 25)
3 Chicago: WFLD-TV (channel 32)
5 Dallas: KDFW-TV (channel 4)
11 Detroit: WJBK-TV (channel 2)
10 Houston: KRIV (channel 26)
2 Los Angeles: KTTV (channel 11)
49 Memphis: WHBQ-TV (channel 13)
15 Minneapolis: KMSP-TV (channel 9)
1 New York City: WNYW (channel 5)
160 Ocala, Florida: WOGX (channel 51)
19 Orlando: WOFL (channel 35)
4 Philadelphia: WTXF-TV (channel 29)
12 Phoenix: KSAZ-TV (channel 10)
13 Tampa: WTVT (channel 13)
9 Washington, D.C.: WTTG (channel 5)

To clear this up a bit......#'s 1-5, 7, 8, 10-13, 15, 19, 48, 49 and 160
This represents a majorioty of the tv households in the US.
In these abopve DMA'a there are probably close to 175 million people in residence.
Between NY, PHI, BOS and DC alone that's probably 75 to 90 milllion people.
Yep a fight between Fox and dish that involved the OTA Fox owned stations would be a bad deal fro Dish. Of course I would imagine that Dish does not have as large a presense in the NYC DMA due to the dispute between Charlie and the Steinbrenners over YES.

I saw an add on my local Fox station (Atlanta) about the dispute with a number to call Dish. If they pull my local Fox from Dish I'm going to be pissed, but honestly it won't really affect me any. I'll just shift my timers around so that my OTA tuner can get everything. Now the one thing that would really piss me off is if I lose EPG info for the Fox station too...

15 Minneapolis: KMSP-TV (channel 9)

The only bright side to this is I can get KMSP OTA pretty good and any shows on that are currently recorded on the OTA channel on the DVR, not the sat channel.

I don't care if Charlie keeps playing chicken with them. He is recognizing the importance of keeping pay tv like satellite viable. Fox doesn't care as they can get viewers over the web going direct, cutting out distributors, but Satellite TV can't do that.

A majority of the Google Ads are exclusively promoting your site, meaning that other ads are not running.

I guess I'm asking for some education on Google Ads, but how does this happen? How is it that Fox can effectively eliminate competing advertising on your website? It sounds more like it's Google doing the wrong thing here rather than Fox.

I guess I'm asking for some education on Google Ads, but how does this happen? How is it that Fox can effectively eliminate competing advertising on your website? It sounds more like it's Google doing the wrong thing here rather than Fox.
I suspect they can pay based on frequency of ad rotation. Pay more, their ads show up more. It's all about $$$. :D The downside of that is, the "other" people who've paid to advertise won't have their ads run much, if at all. If their ad gets shown ZERO times, I guess Google can't or doesn't charge them.

ive lived in many towns over several states. always had a problem picking up fox, which i absolutely hate, since they normally carry most sunday nfl. thats why i got sattelite tv in the first place and why i still need it. and no, i wont switch to cable, or direct. at any rate my question was on the legality of blocking a sat/cable carrier from carrying a 'free' ota broadcast network.

That's because Fox was the 4th network. The one CBS, ABC, & NBC said couldn't make it. So, the weaker signals that were running mostly syndicated stuff signed on for Fox. That is why it is typically weaker. Before Fox, it was hard being the 4th TV signal in a smaller market.

A La Carte

I don't know if A La Carte has been mentioned before but, there disputes are an ever increasing reason for there to be the option to pick the channels you want - and only those you want.

I created a petition, and although I would think I will never see the goal or that anything will come of it, I don't mind trying. Sign if you want.

A La Carte For All - Sign the Petition | Change.org

Easy, They bid more for the spot. They say we want our add on SatelliteGuys.US and give Google a high number they will get paid per click and Google sells them the spot.

Targeted ads happen all the time.

Look at DIRECTV they want nothing to do with the site yet they have their ads plastered all over the place here. :)

Originally Posted by the mack
me thinks there is plenty left over after the bills are paid, so no I will not make the donation.....I already have to suffer the bs page load times not found on any other free forum I visit......

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out

:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)