A Petition for Universal to Support Blu-ray

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I have started a petition for Universal Studios to support Blu-ray and release their films on the Blu-ray format. I think this will help the consumer as then Blu-ray will be supported by all major studios, most of which are exclusive. It just seems a lot more logical to have Universal go neutral, then trying to get the 5 BD studios to go neutral. To me this is the best thing for the consumer, get this format war over with as quickly as possible.

To sign the petition, click on the following link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/BD1/petition.html

~Josh

You're on your own on this one. Universal has been doing an excellent job with their HD DVD releases, and I'm all for them continuing to do so.

I agree also, go HD-DVD...

I want to see all titles on HD-DVD, I don't care for Blu-Ray :)

Will you sign the HD DVD petitions?

I did several months a go, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it made more sense for the consumer to have 1 studio (Universal) go neutral vs. 5 studios (Disney, Fox, MGM, Sony & Lions Gate) to go neutral. This would end this format war in a shorter time period and thus save the consumer money.

~Josh

I did several months a go, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it made more sense for the consumer to have 1 studio (Universal) go neutral vs. 5 studios (Disney, Fox, MGM, Sony & Lions Gate) to go neutral. This would end this format war in a shorter time period and thus save the consumer money.

~Josh

So, you want the only HD-DVD hold out to go neutral but you could care less if the others do because it would be better for the consumers. It would be better for Blu-Ray. If you wanted it to be better for consumers then you would want all to be neutral. I hope that Sony had another flop on their hands (ie: betamax, UMD, etc...)....

So, you want the only HD-DVD hold out to go neutral but you could care less if the others do because it would be better for the consumers. It would be better for Blu-Ray. If you wanted it to be better for consumers then you would want all to be neutral. I hope that Sony had another flop on their hands (ie: betamax, UMD, etc...)....

It is more logical for Universal to go neutral, then for 5 seperate studios going neutral. That would end this format war now and the consumer wins. What is so difficult to understand about that? Universal is just dragging this thing out by not supporting Blu-ray. Its bad for the consumers the longer they hold out.

~Josh

I fail to see how the consumer wins if consumers who already own HD DVD players are left in the dust. The only consumers who win are those that own Blue-ray players. And from what it sounds like, you are one of them. Why not petition all the studios to support both formats. That way all the consumers do win. And as far as dong what makes sense for the corporation, believe me when I tell you the billion dollar corporation knows what its doing and doesn't really need help from you or anybody else for that matter.

I fail to see how the consumer wins if consumers who already own HD DVD players are left in the dust. The only consumers who win are those that own Blue-ray players. And from what it sounds like, you are one of them. Why not petition all the studios to support both formats. That way all the consumers do win. And as far as dong what makes sense for the corporation, believe me when I tell you the billion dollar corporation knows what its doing and doesn't really need help from you or anybody else for that matter.

It's just not realistic to expect the 5 major studios which are Blu-ray exclusive to go neutral in any short amount of time. In-fact it would most likely take many months or even years for this to happen and thus dragging the format war even longer. It is however a lot more realistic for the one HD-DVD exclusive studio (Universal) to go neutral.

I own both formats, but just want one to win soon to help reduce Consumers buying an obsolete format.

~Josh

I would think that the studios would support the format with the most cost effective business model that could reach the most households. With DVD sales flat, they NEED the migration to the next generation to start.

HD DVD hardware costs half of what BluRay units cost, and HD DVD media has half of the HD "surcharge" over standard def DVD.

I wish they were all neutral so that the market could decide this. I know that Sony/MGM will be the last to go as they have the most to gain if this brute force takeover of the next gen format is successful, but the others could be swayed by lost profits as the low rent DVDs have less margins than their HD brethren.

We'll see if HD DVDs early traction can nudge more of them into the neutral fold.... It will be interesting to see how much the PS3 actually does for BluRay media sales.....

Well, there's also Studio Canal and Genius/Weinstein that you're overlooking. So not everyone is on the BR bandwagon, although a majority are currently.

just wait untill someone cracks open the blu-ray encoding scheme... if you want to know who will win the format war, just wait for the bootleggers to decide for everyone :p

I think Universal should definitely offer content in Betamax, er Memory Stick, er, Blu-Ray. :) Where do I sign?

On christmas morning, there will be twice the number of HD-DVD's than are here tonight. I will reach the point of no return.

I'm committed now.

I find it interesting that so many want to support a clearly lesser product here. There is no valid arguement except bring and bang for the buck to support HD-DVD being a better product. We all know technically that it is not. The fact is that HD-DVD has less space and hence less ability to do higher resolutions such as 1080p...! I would like to see universal go with Blu-Ray. It will be very sad to see HD-DVD win out just based on the name and the price.

-B

I find it interesting that so many want to support a clearly lesser product here. There is no valid arguement except bring and bang for the buck to support HD-DVD being a better product. We all know technically that it is not. The fact is that HD-DVD has less space and hence less ability to do higher resolutions such as 1080p...! I would like to see universal go with Blu-Ray. It will be very sad to see HD-DVD win out just based on the name and the price.

-B
I believe all HD DVDs are in 1080p. It has also been said that Blue Ray can only hope to match the quality of the HD DVD picture. The only thing lesser about HD DVD is space and price. Right now space is not an issue, but price appears to be.