A problem with my service...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Patchen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I have a question, and I'm posting this from work...so I have limited knowledge of my equipment.

I believe I have a slimline5 with three receivers. A standard receiver, an HD DVR and a HD receiver with over the air antenna hook-up.

At about 9:30 am today, the HD receiver with OTA just stopped picking up a signal. When I can finally get it to stop searching for a signal and when I run any diagnostics it says I need to install a B-band converter, which is installed. I moved a B-Band from my HD DVR to the HD receiver just to check to make sure the converter didn't go bad.

Please excuse me if I name something wrong, I really have limited knowledge on this.

Anyways, I'm in a market that just launched the Erie PA locals. My other two receivers are working fine. The HD receiver just stopped working. It went fuzzy first and then stopped receiving any signal.

Is there something else going on, or should I have Directv come in for a service call?

Thanks!

Did you have bad weather at any time prior to this?
If you have checked the converters and ruled that out Id first try a red button reset and if that does not work, go ahead and call service. Someone else may have some better advice though.

We had some heavy rain last night, and some wind. But nothing that lasted a real long time, maybe 30 minutes. The receiver worked until we went to bed after the bad weather. The weather was at like 6 pm.

We've done a red button reset. It hasn't worked. We've called service. They want to send someone out. The last time I had an issue it was something silly that was diagnosed on this forum. Thanks for helping!

Did you have bad weather at any time prior to this?
If you have checked the converters and ruled that out Id first try a red button reset and if that does not work, go ahead and call service. Someone else may have some better advice though.

It is something besides the receiver...thank you. I'm embarrassed, I didn't think of this before you mentioned it. Thank you so much.

You could also swap that receiver for one of your others, then you would know if it is the wiring or the receiver.

It is something besides the receiver...thank you. I'm embarrassed, I didn't think of this before you mentioned it. Thank you so much.

No sweat, should be relatively easy to diagnose now. Do you have SWiM or a standard LNB? In other words are there four wires going into the dish or one?

I would start by checking the wiring at the ground block (assuming you have one). If a storm put it out, I would guess water infiltration. Check all the outdoor connections. If you have more than one wire running to the dish, it could be the LNB. You would need to swap wires in the LNB to determine if its the LNB or the wiring.

Also check your signal levels. If your odd transponders all show 0's, I would guess that the cable running to it needs to be replaced.....if your even transponders all show 0's, I would check to see which fitting has the corroded center conductor..

Service call

To be honest, I'm not crawling up on my roof. I have a service call after work tonight with Directv. I have to give them credit for that at least, they get their techs to you fast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)