A question about 1080p PPV vs 1080i PPV

Russell Jorgensen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Wisconsin
I understand the difference between 1080i and 1080p. But does the 1080p PPV really look as good as a Blue-ray disk? Could the 1080i PPV look just as good as the 1080p PPV most of the time or is there really a big difference in the quality of the two?

Good question. I bought the discounted 1080p and have bought 1 ppvhd when I could record it and keep it on my external. Since the 24 hr. use of the movie has come into play, I will not touch another ppvhd movie. I will have a Sammy Blu Ray coming this week that fell into my lap for free so I would be interested in this also. Seems like there was a review not long after the 1080p came to Dish. It compared the Blu Ray and the Dish 1080p but did not read it.

Found this.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/3006/satellite-vs-blu-ray-dishing-up-1080p.html

Pretty much the only advantage of 1080p is in case the TV set is capable of accepting 1080p24 (24 frames per second) and can correctly convert that to 96 or 120 frames per second (a multiple of 24). That results in smoother motion without any frame loss. But unfortunatly very few TV sets on the market can do this correctly.

Besides this motion/frame loss thing there is no advantage in 1080p vs. 1080i. It's the same resolution. The picture quality simply depends on the amount of compression used. If Dish used the same compression level for PPV as Blu-ray then they could achieve the same PQ if they wanted to.

Good article

Good question. I bought the discounted 1080p and have bought 1 ppvhd when I could record it and keep it on my external. Since the 24 hr. use of the movie has come into play, I will not touch another ppvhd movie. I will have a Sammy Blu Ray coming this week that fell into my lap for free so I would be interested in this also. Seems like there was a review not long after the 1080p came to Dish. It compared the Blu Ray and the Dish 1080p but did not read it.

Found this.

Sound & Vision Magazine - Satellite vs. Blu-ray: DISHing up 1080p

The guy had to get to 4 ft to see more granularity of E* vs the BRD and this was on a Sammy 57" LCD. That's pretty good considering direct HDMI from both the VIP & the BRD player.

I think he is referring to the zig-zag line you get on a moving diagonal on any interlaced screen, it looks somewhat like the twisted edges of a rope.

all interlaced will show roping. that was why i asked the question the way i did. if you don't see it then your set might be 'blurring it out' for you. Some TVs have an option that does this.

all interlaced will show roping. that was why i asked the question the way i did. if you don't see it then your set might be 'blurring it out' for you. Some TVs have an option that does this.

You'll have to explain roping as I've never heard the term. But if a movie is shot at 1080p24 and then interlaced to 1080i60 by the provider, if TV processing is done correctly you should be able to re-build the 1080p24 perfectly with no artifacts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)