A question about waivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bama Mac

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Hazel Green, AL
I spoke to my mom today and she told me they recently had D* installed and they don't their locals through the D* where she lives. There is one channel that they are really wanting to get so they requested a waiver through D* to get UPN, because they can't pick the local UPN up with an antenna. They got a response from D* saying that the waiver of course had been denied.

So my mom contacted the UPN station in question and they informed her that they were broadcasting on low power, but any waiver would be denied.

No my question is I told her that she needed to contacted the UPN station again and by law they had to do a signal test at her house. If no acceptable signal could be gained then they would have to grant the waiver.

Is this correct? If not can you please advise on what she can do?

My parents live in Enterprise, Al and the UPN station in question is located in Troy, Al.

Thanks

Barry

Since UPN is technically not classified as a network (as defined by SHVIA), they can't get a waiver.

The only stations that can qualify for waivers are ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX

If she had Dish, she could get the Superstation package :)

She could "move" to get locals.

I am pretty sure she signed up under a 1 year commitment. Do you know if there is like 30 days she can cancel without being penalized for cancelling her contract to early?

If so, I know I can talk her into switching to Dish. I have it myslef and I love it.

I have Dish myself so I don't know

How does she get locals right now? Neither Dish nor Direct carry Dothan, AL locals. Dish carries Montgomery locals, but that requires a SuperDish. (so that kinda takes out the "move" theory).

I ran an address in Enterprise (I laughed when I saw there was a Boll Weevil drive...sorry. I just thought that was funny) and all she would get with Dish right now is the PBS station (statewide). But she could get the Superstations.

These are
WSBK UPN Boston
WWOR UPN NY
WPIX WB NY
KTLA WB LA
KWGN WB Denver

She could get all 5 for 5.99 or 1 for 1.50

Well she gets all of her locals through an atenna right now, but with UPN broadcasting with low power she can't get a signal from them.

I appreciate the info on the superstations. If that channel means that much to her then switching would probably be her best option.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bama Mac said:
Well she gets all of her locals through an atenna right now, but with UPN broadcasting with low power she can't get a signal from them.

IO noticed they were only at 2800 KW...almost 1/2 of the normal 5000 KW output for full powered UHF stations
I appreciate the info on the superstations. If that channel means that much to her then switching would probably be her best option.

Thanks again for all your help.
not a problem.

Well, she doesn't have to neccessarily switch per say. It would be the easiest option though. She could get a dish from someone, and a 301 from somewhere and she can get just the superstations by itself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)