Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

In my continuing saga to return my dish to a better parabolic shape after its "fall" from grace several years ago, I made a discovery today. I noticed that one of the rib supports, for lack of a better term, was bent inward, forcing that section of my dish inwards, pushing it out of shape in relation to the other dish "petals".
Of course I figured if I could detach the rib from this support, I could either hammer this support upright where it should be or drill another hole farther down the support and help get that "petal" in better alignment with the others.
Unfortunately 20 years of Cape Cod weather have rusted this bolt and despite using PB Blaster which loosened it just a bit, I'm wondering what my next step should be. Its a tight fit so sawing off the nut would be difficult at best. Any suggestions from all you experts out there ??
I've enclosed some pictures.
Thanks in advance.

John

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

The bolt doesn't look that damaged in the photo. Maybe you need to wait a little longer for the penetrant to do its thing? I usually spray the PB Blaster several hours before putting other tools (wrenches, vice grips, etc.) into play. I use it a day or so in advance of exhaust system work.

There are also tools called "nut splitters" (it is painful just saying that) that will cut one side of the nut so it opens up.

Reactions: . Raine and JFOK
harshness,

As you can see in the photos, the bolt and nut are swimming in PB Blaster...been that way for several hours.
I'll let in soak overnight and see how it is in the morning. It going to rain soon anyway.
Getting this dish back to square one is at times, a nut splitter in itself. ;)
Thanks for the response.

John

The best nut-splitter is angle-grinder with cutting disc. I see that there is enough place to do the cut, if it is too narrow use smaller (used) disc. Just cut the nut in the middle of it and it will fell apart as a walnut. :)

Hi All,

In my continuing saga to return my dish to a better parabolic shape after its "fall" from grace several years ago, I made a discovery today. I noticed that one of the rib supports, for lack of a better term, was bent inward, forcing that section of my dish inwards, pushing it out of shape in relation to the other dish "petals".
Of course I figured if I could detach the rib from this support, I could either hammer this support upright where it should be or drill another hole farther down the support and help get that "petal" in better alignment with the others.
Unfortunately 20 years of Cape Cod weather have rusted this bolt and despite using PB Blaster which loosened it just a bit, I'm wondering what my next step should be. Its a tight fit so sawing off the nut would be difficult at best. Any suggestions from all you experts out there ??
I've enclosed some pictures.
Thanks in advance.

John

View attachment 134119 View attachment 134120 View attachment 134121

I recently picked up a Perfect 10 dish I installed years ago. Somewhere along the line, the guy I sold it to backed into it with the camper on his truck and buckled the square tubing around the outside rim of the dish, which threw the panel out of alignment with the other three. What I did to fix it and bring it back in shape was this.

I bought two pieces of steel square tubing the same size. I had a friend bend two 12 inch pieces on the same curvature as the good panels. I put one on the inside and one on the outside and clamped them down with "C" clamps until it came back into alignment. I then drilled 1/4 inch holes through all three pieces, tigntened them down until it was secure. I strung the dish and the strings had less than an 1/8 of an inch gap between them.

When you look across the dish, I can't detect any warp by looking. Since you have room in between the mounting bolt in the picture and the rib itself, you may get by doing the same thing. Being that close to the center of the dish, you may be good if you string it and see how bad it is. Good luck.

Reactions: JFOK and KE4EST
This is what I would do!

Most of the time, if the head and nut isn't rusted away to the point a wrench won't hold, I keep applying pressure trying to loosen the bolt until it snaps off. Most of the bolts we used when assembling the dish were low grade bolts supplied by the manufacturer that snapped off pretty easily. Then just replace the bolt with a stainless bolt that won't corrode.

Most of the time, if the head and nut isn't rusted away to the point a wrench won't hold, I keep applying pressure trying to loosen the bolt until it snaps off. Most of the bolts we used when assembling the dish were low grade bolts supplied by the manufacturer that snapped off pretty easily. Then just replace the bolt with a stainless bolt that won't corrode.

that's exactly what happened when I rescued my Winegard Quadstar 10. Many of the bolts just snapped, and I replaced all of them with stainless

Reactions: JFOK
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. They are much appreciated.
I think my best alternative right now, after looking at it again this morning, is to get a nut splitter at Lowe's.
The space I have to work in is small and so a nut splitter will fit inside this space nicely.
I gave it the old college try again this morning and that baby is on there good...even after drowning it overnight in PB Blaster.
wvman...I may just try your square tubing suggestion after I solve this problem.
I'm surprised I didn't notice this bent support years ago.
In its prime, this dish received almost everything I threw at it on both C and Ku. I'd like to get most of that back again if i can.
Thanks again for all the suggestions...will let you know how it goes.

John

Hey, John. Put a little heat to it with a propane torch maybe? If heat didn't do it, I'd just turn it till it snapped and then replace it with stainless.

Andy

that's exactly what happened when I rescued my Winegard Quadstar 10. Many of the bolts just snapped, and I replaced all of them with stainless

I've seen some of the cheap bolts supplied with the dish that rusted down into a point. Not sure why they rust that way, but it's not all that unusual. If you ever run into a dish that has the bolts holding the mount to the pole that won't turn, a lot of times if you give it a sharp smack straight on the head of the bold, it relieves the tension between the bolt and pole, and it'll come right loose. I've had some pretty nasty looking bolts come right out after whacking them a good one on the head.

Of course, a little penetrant doesn't hurt either. I have a 2 gallon can of DMSO. It's a military grade penetrant that works exceptionally well. You'll want to wear rubber gloves when using it. If you get it on your hands, you'll taste it about 10 seconds later. I have a friend who rubs it on a sore elbow or shoulder. He swears it takes the pain away in a few seconds. I never tried it, and don't believe I will. Who knows what they stuff will do to you. :)

Reactions: Brct203
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. They are much appreciated.
I think my best alternative right now, after looking at it again this morning, is to get a nut splitter at Lowe's.
The space I have to work in is small and so a nut splitter will fit inside this space nicely.
I gave it the old college try again this morning and that baby is on there good...even after drowning it overnight in PB Blaster.
wvman...I may just try your square tubing suggestion after I solve this problem.
I'm surprised I didn't notice this bent support years ago.
In its prime, this dish received almost everything I threw at it on both C and Ku. I'd like to get most of that back again if i can.
Thanks again for all the suggestions...will let you know how it goes.

John

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. :)

Hey, John. Put a little heat to it with a propane torch maybe? If heat didn't do it, I'd just turn it till it snapped and then replace it with stainless.

Andy

Andy,

I did that originally to free my radio shack mount from the pole I'm currently using...worked like a charm. Those bolts were rusted solid.
I thought about using heat with this situation except I wouldn't want to warp the aluminum rib with heat any more than it already is.
I've already hit my knuckles several times trying good old man power...no dice. Time to step it up.

John

I
Of course, a little penetrant doesn't hurt either. I have a 2 gallon can of DMSO. It's a military grade penetrant that works exceptionally well. You'll want to wear rubber gloves when using it. If you get it on your hands, you'll taste it about 10 seconds later. I have a friend who rubs it on a sore elbow or shoulder. He swears it takes the pain away in a few seconds. I never tried it, and don't believe I will. Who knows what they stuff will do to you. :)

It doesn't take the pain away, it just KILLS the particular brain cells that make you FEEL the pain! LOL

Reactions: Brct203
The best luck I've had with removing bolts was with an angle grinder. The best luck I've had loosening rust seized hardware was with a 50% mix of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). It works better than anything and much faster, too.

Reactions: primestar31
The best luck I've had with removing bolts was with an angle grinder. The best luck I've had loosening rust seized hardware was with a 50% mix of Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). It works better than anything and much faster, too.

That's an old military formula. :) They stopped making it due to the Acetone in it. I remember my grandfather talking about it when he came home from the military. You're right, it does work. It may make your grandkids walk funny, but it does work. :)

DMSO is a serious solvent with even more serious penetrating properties. If you don't wash before applying it, it will carry whatever is on your skin to your inner tissues.

It's pretty aggressive stuff. Like I said, you can get it on your hands and a few seconds later, you'll taste it. :eek:

HI All,

I have an UPDATE regarding my current dish situation.
I was able to remove the rusted nut using a nut cracker.
Now I have to either try to bend/hammer the rib support back into its original position or drill another hole farther down on this support,
which would bring the dish petal more in line with the others.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)