A quick cabling question

FogNoggin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Kingston, NY
I'm ditching cable and getting DN installed in a few days. I want to clear a path in my basement for the installer if needed. For cable TV, I currently have the line going into my basement through the foundation, then coupling to 50' of fine RG-6 running straight to my living room setup.

I know that 3 cables come off the dish and into a switch. How many cables run from this switch to the DVR? I'm getting a single-TV setup installed. I'm hoping the installer can just take advantage of the single 50' cable that's already there.

Up to three can come from the Dish. As long as the existing cable is good enough he should be able to reuse it.

The line exiting your basement should have a barrel connector. The tech knows what to look for. A standard cable splitter will not work for satellite TV.

I'm ditching cable and getting DN installed in a few days. I want to clear a path in my basement for the installer if needed. For cable TV, I currently have the line going into my basement through the foundation, then coupling to 50' of fine RG-6 running straight to my living room setup.

I know that 3 cables come off the dish and into a switch. How many cables run from this switch to the DVR? I'm getting a single-TV setup installed. I'm hoping the installer can just take advantage of the single 50' cable that's already there.
As long as it is grounded before the single 50' run it'll be fine, otherwise it needs to be replaced to bring it up to code and to ground the system.