SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
AT&T

Exchange Student Starved While in Egypt
Published: 2/27/08, 2:46 PM EDT
By JERRY HARKAVY
HALLOWELL, Maine (AP) - Jonathan McCullum was in perfect health at 155 pounds when he left last summer to spend the school year as an exchange student in Egypt.

But when he returned home to Maine just four months later, the 5-foot-9 teenager weighed a mere 97 pounds and was so weak that he struggled to carry his baggage or climb a flight of stairs. Doctors said he was at risk for a heart attack.

McCullum says he was denied sufficient food while staying with a family of Coptic Christians, who fast for more than 200 days a year, a regimen unmatched by other Christians.

But he does not view the experience as a culture clash. Rather, he said, it reflected mean and stingy treatment by his host family, whose broken English made it difficult to communicate.

"The weight loss concerned me, but I wanted to stick out the whole year," he said in an interview at his family's home outside Augusta.

Friends and teachers at his English-speaking school in Egypt urged him to change his host family, but he stayed put after being told the other home was in a dangerous neighborhood of Alexandria.

After returning to the U.S., he was hospitalized for nearly two weeks. The 17-year-old has regained about 20 pounds, but his parents say he's not the same boy he was when he left under the auspices of AFS Intercultural Programs.

Attachments

• main-1b858707-6e5f-41f6-8a10-6be4ced18c2b.jpg
    main-1b858707-6e5f-41f6-8a10-6be4ced18c2b.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 207
Sorry to have so little compassion in this case, but I think the operative word here is STUPID!

Who would do an exchange program to Egypt? LOL

Also, its not like he was being held hostage. He could have called his parents and left.

Well, since he was there for only 4 months out of the year planned, I guess he eventually did. Or somebody did.

i heard report that people in egypt were telling him to get a new host family and he refused.

Who would go to a country as an exchange student, living with a local family, without knowing enough of the language to ask for more food? Is this guy so stupid that he couldn't even go to the market? Hey, I went to France and just pointed at things I wanted, and that worked.

But there are diseases you can get in Egypt, like Bilharsia, that would do that to you. One of the guys I worked with years ago went to Egypt and came back 30 pounds lighter (and wasn't overweight to begin with), and he wasn't being starved.

It bothered me to that he stayed with the family and I had to give some credit to his being a clueless teenager but what really irks me about this whole story is first the school not actually doing something sooner, the host families father saying the kid was eating enough for 6 people yet you see how he looks in the picture, the host family has kids that seemingly are healthy while this kids starving and the exchange orginization did not warn the kid or his family about what he would be facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)